Beauty | "Pubic Hair Has A Job To Do...Leave It Alone!"

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
I'll be honest. I don't want this story to be true. I don't want to know that it's simply not good for me to remain fuzz-free or (free-ish), you know, down there. I really wanted this to be an article written by some scaremongering crazy who's full of rubbish.

Unfortunately though, Emily Gibson MD is not a scaremongering crazy. She's a well-respected doctor and frankly, she comes across a little bit like your mum and I don't mind telling you, I felt a little scolded. Gibson wrote the article, which was originally published by kevinmd.com way back in 2011, and earlier this month The Guardian reprinted it and boy, did it get a reaction.

Simply put, she's asking us (and I mean girls and boys) to weigh up our vanity against the reality of what we're doing to our nether regions. Emily Gibson MD, is sick of this battle we are continuously fighting. "I must have missed the declaration of war on pubic hair," says says and sounds honestly aghast when she comments on the "astronomical" amount of money spent by both genders on it.

Don't even try and tell her that you feel cleaner and more hygienic down there. It simply won't wash (excuse the pun!). She goes on to list the foul and varied bacteria and health issues she herself has discovered on patient's genitals that are either a direct result of shaving or have been aggravated because of shaving and, trust me, it's more than enough to make you think twice.

I'm not saying that I'm a convert to the au natural look but I have to say, I may not be so slap happy about what gets taken off and it did get me thinking, why do we hate it so much?

Read the full article here kevinmd.com or here The Guardian

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• pubic hair.jpg
    pubic hair.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 885
Is she the Irish lady who was on the Jeremy vine show on radio 2 today? She sounded like some attention seeking feminist hippy to me

Good luck with trying to persuade us with that particular point of view!

Just sounds like someone else wants to have a pop at the beauty industry *sigh*

Another 'burn your bra!' long live the trimmed look!

In my own opinion; I agree with Emily. After my own personal experience with trying a Hollywood, I would never have it done again.

I have never understood where Pubic hair has all of a sudden become "not a good look" - it's a very natural thing?? - We have evolved to have it there for a reason!

Just my opinion. ;)

Love the picture by the way!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Yeah but just a thaught what if it's to do with the age range who shave/wax are more exposed to disease eg stds than the age range who don't? From what I understand the whole Hollywood/Brazilian is more for the young thing and surely the younger generation are more risky with certain behaviours than other generations? X

Last edited:
Who wants to look as though they've got half an ounce of Old Holborn hanging down their legs...not me ;)

I honestly couldn't care if people want to be hairy or clean shaven or waxed within an inch of their life! As with everything in our industry there will be good and bad practice among waxes, what I don't understand is what makes someone want to share with the world that they have chosen to be hairy, unless they are trying to seek attention and stand out from the crowd by flying in the face of what society thinks is acceptable. Let's face it ladies many of us don't bother sorting the old legs out in the winter but do we shout it from the roof tops, no, does anyone notice no not unless we tell them, hubby's partners excluded of course!

Who wants to look as though they've got half an ounce of Old Holborn hanging down their legs...not me ;)

Ha lol! That's enough to put anyone off :biggrin:

I honestly couldn't care if people want to be hairy or clean shaven or waxed within an inch of their life! As with everything in our industry there will be good and bad practice among waxes, what I don't understand is what makes someone want to share with the world that they have chosen to be hairy, unless they are trying to seek attention and stand out from the crowd by flying in the face of what society thinks is acceptable. Let's face it ladies many of us don't bother sorting the old legs out in the winter but do we shout it from the roof tops, no, does anyone notice no not unless we tell them, hubby's partners excluded of course!

All part of the discussion and opinions ;)

Really!!! men and women have been removing their "hair down there" forever...and for good reason.I would like some facts and clinical data before I kill me wonderful wax pot.

I dislike Hollywoods; not saying anything else is bad. I just feel after my own experiences having just a little bit just protects us. Like eyelashes protecting the eye.

i am not disputing the data, however in my opinion why is it that ALL those disputing/ arguing about any treatment regarding hair removal we do, all go for the 'au nataural' look in any part of their appearance??? no makeup? no hair removal? and no anti-aging techniques! if shaving /waxing is so detrimental to genital health of the pubic area WHY are tutors still teaching it in the NVQ course?

In my opinion anything worth worrying about is going to get past the hair anyway!! : )))

Latest posts

Back