Beauty/spa room at home x legal's x

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammymeme

Reaction score
Hi Geek's:) lol x The time has come to open a beauty/spa room at home! (very excited) as this is the next step to maybe having enough customers to open my own salon!. What is the legal side of things i.e. would my mortgage provider frown on my using part of my home for a business?
also have any of you successfully done this yourselves? if so any advice would be a god send x
many thank you's xxx

I'm not 100% sure about the legalities of it other than you would have to operate like a normal business in regards to Health & Safety and all that encompasses a business.

I'm sure you would need permission from your mortgage company.

I have copied some information from the Business Link site - Hope this helps! Alternatively contact the Valuation Office Agency on 0845 602 1507

BUSINESS LINK
If you work at or from home, the part of the property used for work may be liable for business rates. If the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) has given a rateable value to a part of your home then you will have to pay business rates on that part.
The remainder of the property will still be liable for council tax.
How is the assessment made?

There are a number of factors that the VOA will consider when they are deciding whether or not the part of your property used for work is liable for business rates. These include:
  • <LI added="null">the extent and frequency that the room (or rooms) is used for work
  • if any modifications have been made to the building to accommodate work use
Each case is considered on its own merits, and the VOA will normally ask to visit your property to check the facts before an assessment is made.
Your local authority will use the rateable value to calculate the business rates bill and send it out annually. Use our interactive tool to get an indication of the business rates payable on your business premises.
There are several rate relief schemes available which may reduce your bill. Your local authority will administer these. For more information, see our guide on business rates relief.

wow thanks Debbie very helpful:) xxx

Latest posts

Back