Beauty Therapy Diploma NVQ Level 2 advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My journey so far.. Time has gone so quick since the interview. I went to my 5th lesson on tuesday and then i have one tomorrow evening 6 until 9 pm. On tuesday we were doing eye treatments my work partner already had her eyelashes tinted the week before so i was the guinea pig and had mine done. I then was about to do a eyebrow tidy up on her and again went to pot. Havent ever used tweezers i know that sounds sad but i just have this thought of always hurting someone. The theory is sticking in but the practical my nerves are getting the better of me. I really cant do this. Have waxing tomorrow and im already in a panic. X

Don't panic!! Honestly everyone is in the same boat as you and practice makes perfect. I did my level 2 two years ago (I'm 31 now) and I'm so glad I stuck at it. The nerves will start to go eventually but try and relax and remember if you make a mistake then its fine, you learn from it and you move on. That's exactly what training is for. Good luck!! xxxx

Evening all,

I wrote a thread on here sometime ago about going to an interview and posting my enrolment for NVQ beuaty L2 and how nervous I was.
Well since I began my course on the 18th September, I started with tinting eyelashes and brows on a tuesday and waxing on a thursday, I am enjoying the course but my confidence is holding me back. I thought the feeling would have faded out but every tue and thursday I just have this overwhelming fear of every lesson. I'm nervous with assements and what actually happens with this?
Anyway I just came on here to thank all the geeks for their advice and encouragement you gave to me to even send the form in the first place, so thank-you.
x

Last edited by a moderator:
Stick with it. I promise you your confidence will grow. Nothing helped me more than qualifying and getting out into the industry for some experience of employment. Love from the girl that secretly feels the same every time she treads on unfamiliar ground. x

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using SalonGeek

Hi hun, I just wanted to say that you can do it if you set your mind to it. I was 45 when I decided to change careers and try and get into the beauty industry. I am not slim and gorgeous, I dont (and never have) wear much make-up, Im not trendy or fashionable in the slightest!! I went to college in the evenings as I had a full time job with very long hours, sometimes I couldnt even finish work in time for college... I was the oldest in the class by over ten years and I felt SO out of place. When we all introduced ourselves and told everyone what we did at work, everybody's jaw dropped when I told them I was a HGV driver and had been for the last nine years!! I dont think they expected me to complete or pass the course, but I got stuck in to the work (I didnt have models either!) and passed with flying colours.:lol: I have recently opened my own beauty room and I am slowly building up clients...I also enrol on other fast track courses as I want to develop my skills. Dont destroy yourself by worrying, just do the best you can, everybody learns at their own pace. Just tell yourself...YOU CAN DO IT!!! :hug:

Hi Claire, I've just been reading your posts and want to say that I can empathise with your feelings/ situation completely!

If I can encourage you at all it would be to say that I honestly had exactly all the same worries & fears that you are having when I first started out. The chances are that these doubts and worries will drive you to work harder and do better in your studies and practicals than most of the other students. At the end of my 2 years of worry and hard (but enjoyable) slog I was awarded the Dermalogica Prize for Excellence. This has boosted my professional confidence no end. Sometimes, worry can drive you forward and confidence will come with knowledge & experience.

Don't sweat it too much my lovely but work hard and YOU WILL TRIUMPH! Keep the faith XXX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahh what a nice post so good to hear of your reward. I think everyone is right. Week after week i feel my gremlin saying dont go to college you cant cope you are a failure but each week i take my bach rescue remedey and fight every emotion and use the loo about 20 times hehe i get tearful i shake with fear but each lesson i attend it gets a little better. Im taking in and enjoying the theory. I just got to keep going. Last week i was left without a pratical partner and felt the reason for this is that nobody wanted someone crap to work with i started to feel upset and anxious but then i just decided i would gate crash each group and watch and learn and even some girls let me join in so i ended up helping doing all eye treatments. Salon geek is my pill lol and has got me through so much because without all you lot giving me your stories , advice successes,your fights through this i dont think i would have the courage to have carried on ,so thankyou so much. So much to learn and i give my upmost respect to beauty therapists now x

Seriously, your experience sounds just like mine. I'm so glad that you got to join in. I'm slowly getting to the stage where people know that I know my stuff and am useful to know. Build that confidence, practice and hold your head high. x

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using SalonGeek

Ahh what a nice post so good to hear of your reward. I think everyone is right. Week after week i feel my gremlin saying dont go to college you cant cope you are a failure but each week i take my bach rescue remedey and fight every emotion and use the loo about 20 times hehe i get tearful i shake with fear but each lesson i attend it gets a little better. Im taking in and enjoying the theory. I just got to keep going. Last week i was left without a pratical partner and felt the reason for this is that nobody wanted someone crap to work with i started to feel upset and anxious but then i just decided i would gate crash each group and watch and learn and even some girls let me join in so i ended up helping doing all eye treatments. Salon geek is my pill lol and has got me through so much because without all you lot giving me your stories , advice successes,your fights through this i dont think i would have the courage to have carried on ,so thankyou so much. So much to learn and i give my upmost respect to beauty therapists now x

Hi Claire. So glad to hear you are fighting on. I finished my level 2 and am doing level 3 nails, only basics but its really good. So exciting. I still suffer with my anxiety and stress but I'm having CBT and its helping loads. I take inspiration from this site too. It really is amazing. I wish you luck and you will definately get there xx

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using SalonGeek

Hi, You must do it, your confidence will come believe me, I have only just done my level 2 in my fifties and was the most nervous person ever, most of my class was in their late 20's or 30's, but they were fantastic! we all encouraged each other and they used to laugh at me ( not in a harsh way ) but they used to say i looked like a rabbit cought in headlights every time we had an assessment etc!!! I even had to go on Beta blockers to calm my anxiety!!
Well i am pleased to say I passed b4 anyone else in the class of 18 and got put up for an award, didn't win, but hey i was proud that out of all the pupils my name was there!
When i left with mostly Distinctions in my passes, i had to find my confidence again, as i now had to work in a shop, and when you are my age everyone expects you to know how to do everything and have all the answers!! I was at first paranoid every time i had a customer and dreaded what they were going to ask for, now i take no notice, whatever they want i just get on with it, and just always try not to flap and to look as though i know what i am doing, of which i do;) !! So do please go for it, it has changed my life!!!! x

Hi,

This is the first time I have replied to a thread, in fact I was unsure how to!
I couldn't help but feel for you and see all the wonderful comments from such lovely people. I am hoping you have started your Beauty Training now?

I'm going to comment from experience, I grew up with very little confidence but I always knew I wanted to do beauty, I trained straight from school and I still love the career it has offered me, I am now 32 so have been in the industry for many years, however I just want to share with you that I lacked confidence really bad when I was training, I always worried and thought I was not good enough or I would not be successful in what I was doing, I worked during my summer holidays whilst at college, and my confidence was put down further with the manger saying I was not good enough and perhaps Beauty Therapy was not the career for me, I felt terrible and was so upset about it as it was all I had ever wanted to do. HOWEVER, I continued and gained student of the year at 19, I then progressed to working in a Spa and Salon and cruise ships, I then set up my own business eight years ago, and trained to become a lecturer two years ago, I now teach and run my business and like to pride myself on being good at my profession, so I just want to say don't let anything or anyone hold you back, you will make mistakes it's part of learning in the industry, but with determination and a professional attitude you can achieve anything you want to do, I now teach therapists and I like to encourage and support them fully in what they do, and let them know that mistakes happen. You will gain Client's, and I am sure they will book in with you again-What a confidence boost that is :) Go for it, I wish you every success in this rewarding and enjoyable career, All the Best x

So it's March and after the easter break im on my last 2 subjects. I can't believe how fast time has gone. Still lack confidence but nowhere near enough how I was before.. my problem is applying the right pressure not enough, taking less time on waxing and having a steady hand for painting nails. I hope everyone ok! apart from this poxy weather spring needs to pull it's finger out hehe x

I'm so pleased to hear it hun and your confidence will grow and grow as time passes! Use all your friends and family as practice models and practice practice practice the areas you're struggling on! And search on here the subjects your struggling with and you'll find tonnes of advice!

I'm really please to hear you stuck it out and you'll be even more so when you qualify in the near future!

I'm 25 and desperate to start training again as I've only done tanning and I started my NVQ2 in beauty but had to drop out as my job was so demanding I couldn't physically cope doing both and couldn't afford to leave my job! Fingers crossed this year will be the year - I'm going to take lots of little night courses to start building my confidence xx

So sorry i haven't been on SG for ages to reply. Thankyou for your lovely message. I have about 7 weeks left, so yeah 14 more classes then hopefully will pass.. This journey has been incredible I just can't believe im almost done !

Just re-read this thread from the beginning. You seem do much more confident now - did you get to start enjoying your course? You were worried you wouldn't be able to enjoy any of it :)

Well done for seeing something through that was obviously difficult for you due to nerves/confidence etc xxxx

So sorry i haven't been on SG for ages to reply. Thankyou for your lovely message. I have about 7 weeks left, so yeah 14 more classes then hopefully will pass.. This journey has been incredible I just can't believe im almost done !

Getting it over and done with will be a huge relief! I completed my levek 2 3 weeks ago (6 weeks early) and it is so nice to know I can actually start to get ready to do these things in the real world!

Good luck :D

Ahh thankyou girls.. It will be a huge relief .. I still struggle with self belief but nowhere near enough as before .. Xx

Update; Graduation evening next week all assessments passed ! X

Congrats. I would only want to be done by someone with a proper qualification for personal protection and insurance AND PEACE OF MIND

I've just logged on again to this after a while off.....

and I'd just like to say... GO FOR IT!!

I've just got my NVQ2 in Beauty Therapy (infact i qualified on Thursday just past)
I am 27, with 2 kids and most certainly do not fit in the mould of a Beauty Therapist.... Its not easy, i wont lie... there was plenty of times I wanted to quit.... But i held on in there, and wayhay!! I am even now looking to do my Level 3, then my HNC/HND.

I wish you well xx

Latest posts

Back