Beauty Therapy Diploma NVQ Level 2 advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope then that you're feeling a bit better and have finally decided that you are definitely going to do this course. As we have all said it won't be easy, but we are all here to help should you need any support. Please feel free to pm me if you need any more help. Good luck and hope you enjoy it.

Hi everyone, I can completely relate to this thread.
I've also had the same thoughts and worries as everyone else, I was supposed to start my level 2 beauty course last September and backed out at the last minute, I had even brought the whole kit and uniform, which is still hanging in my wardrobe lol!
I've really regretted my decision and wish I hadn't of let my nerves get the better if me.
I have the chance to do it this year but now I have to pay for the course as they have capped the age for free level 2 qualifications at 23 and I am 30 which I don't mind in the slightest.
I also have a place on a hairdressing course but I feel like beauty would suit me a lot more as I am more of a quiet person and the thought of cutting someone's hair is very scary.
Reading this thread has really helped me see that everyone gets scared and nervous but we should just ignore those thoughts and carry on anyway.
Im definitely going to go for it this year, its so exciting and I love everything about the industry, I've heard its hard work but I don't mind and I've heard the pays not great but again I don't mind. If I'm happy to go to work everyday and enjoy my job, well I'm more than happy to earn a little less. Money isn't everything my aunt has a fabulous job earns around £70,000 a year and she always looks so unhappy and sad. Sorry completely rambling now lol.
I can't wait for my enrolment date to come through and start this New exciting stage of my life :)

Glad this has helped u and good luck xxxx

Hey MissClaireB. You should look at a few of my other posts. Like you I suffer with anxiety, stress, social anxiety. I'm finally having CBT for it but I did beauty and because I suffered that bad with anxiety, I got the opportunity to finish what I have left on 2 days in August but I'm panicking about that too. I know I have to do it but I'm so worried. I ask clients stiff like is that ok and are you sure etc etc its a bad habit and I don't like it. I don't know if I will finish it yet but I hope so. I have trouble associating my feelings with the end result thinking how am I going to feel if I do it. I miss college now cos its great support but I feel like iv let them down. It will boost ur confidence though. Good luck x

Hi Claire, I entered beauty in my late 20's after wanting this for a career since my early teens. I agree with everyone else the course will boast your confidence, thats not to say you won't get stressed- you will. I am a worrier and can be very hard on myself so I know how you feel.
I would like to suggest even if you previously visited a counsellor you might consider this, I think you would find it helpful and may help with some of your anxiety. If you are going to a FE/HE college you should be able to access the counsellor through student services (you'll find the details on your college website or handbook).

You'll have a ball and your experience in your previous/current role will help you interact with clients and in a 101 other ways.

Don't worry about lack of friends and family for practise, most colleges offer very cheap treatment to other students so you'll never be short of practical support. Take this opportunity with both hands. I bet it becomes the making of you :p

P.s I retrained in beauty at 36 and never looked back, clients prefer that I'm not very young.

Hi, just read your thread. You absolutely have to go for it. I was 43 when I trained for NVQ2 (got pregnant in the middle of the course) and 46 when I did my NVQ3.

You are not thick, you can do this. The tutor are there to help you and they want you to pass the course. Good luck!!

missclarieb UR GORRRGUS... f**k the haters.gives you more of a reason to doit and prove them and urself wrong.PEOPLE WHO DO THAT ARE JUST SAD AND PATHETIC IN THERE OWN SAD LIVES.....go ahead and doit and youl be amazed how much you change i went through a domestic violent reletionship for 3years and did the course all the way til my exam and failEd on 1theory paper and never went back at the time to doit and retake it....4years later i was determined to complete what he stopped me doing and this time i did even better than before and had much more confidance..GO FOR IT AND NEVER REGRET A THIINGXX

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all well?

My first thought before writing this . " Will people start getting fed up with me writing thank-you again"

Anyway ... hehe Thank-you again I can't tell you and express how grateful I am, I have read these messages and stories over and over and still amazed at these and has really touched me. I am so thankful for everyones time each and every one of you have taken the time to write and reply to me and not just a few words either. Your kind words, guidance and advice means alot to me.

I have sealed and posted my enrolment so my belly is going over.

Beautygirl- I had CBT therapy and I found that to be very helpful which I had for 2 1/2 years thankfully for me I had private medical care through my work so took the opportunity to go. It was alot worse a few years ago. I wont go into detail afterall we all have our little situations and problems in life. I may try and go again.

again your all such a lovely bunch of people and I cant thank-you enough. Really pleased all of you are doing so well and fullfilled your ambition and dream.

xx

missclarieb UR GORRRGUS... f**k the haters.gives you more of a reason to doit and prove them and urself wrong.PEOPLE WHO DO THAT ARE JUST SAD AND PATHETIC IN THERE OWN SAD LIVES.....go ahead and doit and youl be amazed how much you change i went through a domestic violent reletionship for 3years and did the course all the way til my exam and failEd on 1theory paper and never went back at the time to doit and retake it....4years later i was determined to complete what he stopped me doing and this time i did even better than before and had much more confidance..GO FOR IT AND NEVER REGRET A THIINGXX

That is awful :( i'm really glad you got out of that horrible trapped life and pleased that you went back to do it! x

Oh my goodness I can't believe there's so many other's like me.

I'm 43 and have recently done the NVQ 2 fast track course.
I am already a qualified nail tech which but as I still worked in secondary education was only a little hobby.

I am 13 1/2 stone very top heavy, I was first in the queue when they were handing out boobs and fat genes as my sister, cousins are not fat they are beautiful size 10's and 12's gorgeous long hair. (never been jealous at all have I) I'm not all that attractive with flat thin hair, no chin.
I am also disabled although not in a wheelchair I do use a stick when I am out and limp and waddle around when I am in doors.

I have always been self consious about my body, as a child I had buck teeth, lovely owl like glasses !!! I hate any old photos of me.
If you knew me you would never think I had an issue as I am quite a confident person on the outside, inside my body is screaming at me.

I love doing beauty therapy but never made it a career early on after school as like a lot of say I didn't fit a mould of the beauty therapist. Thin and beautiful excellent skin and flawless make up that stays on all day !!!

I have recently finished setting up a salon at home and today I booked my first client for an appointment yippee but deep down I am now worried sick as I hate bikini waxing OMG I am going to be a nervous wreck.

So my advice would be go for it and don't worry and there's so much advice on this site the forums are great for venting any frustrations you may have and for advice and support. There's tutorials from the best in the business.

Good luck to everyone.

Oh my goodness I can't believe there's so many other's like me.

I'm 43 and have recently done the NVQ 2 fast track course.
I am already a qualified nail tech which but as I still worked in secondary education was only a little hobby.

I am 13 1/2 stone very top heavy, I was first in the queue when they were handing out boobs and fat genes as my sister, cousins are not fat they are beautiful size 10's and 12's gorgeous long hair. (never been jealous at all have I) I'm not all that attractive with flat thin hair, no chin.
I am also disabled although not in a wheelchair I do use a stick when I am out and limp and waddle around when I am in doors.

I have always been self consious about my body, as a child I had buck teeth, lovely owl like glasses !!! I hate any old photos of me.
If you knew me you would never think I had an issue as I am quite a confident person on the outside, inside my body is screaming at me.

I love doing beauty therapy but never made it a career early on after school as like a lot of say I didn't fit a mould of the beauty therapist. Thin and beautiful excellent skin and flawless make up that stays on all day !!!

I have recently finished setting up a salon at home and today I booked my first client for an appointment yippee but deep down I am now worried sick as I hate bikini waxing OMG I am going to be a nervous wreck.

So my advice would be go for it and don't worry and there's so much advice on this site the forums are great for venting any frustrations you may have and for advice and support. There's tutorials from the best in the business.

Good luck to everyone.

Well done xxxx

I did the level 2 part time and to be honest I hardly used any of my own models! Most come and book in with the college themselves and I even used friends of other girls on the course who wanted certain things doing but they had already covered! You will be fine I met some really lively people in my course and still friends with some now! Good luck x

That is awful :( i'm really glad you got out of that horrible trapped life and pleased that you went back to do it! x

I'll be a model for anything if it's not too far away lol xxx

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone may help with my anxiety and help with some advice to help me go forward.

I won't dwell too much but as a child and growing up all I wanted to do was do Beauty Therapy.

I was put down growing up and was told I was thick and ugly to persue this course and therefore doubted my own confidence and took a different route in life. Since and increasingly as growing up confidence became worse with constant reminders which affect my everyday life.
After a different career path in the travel and commercial move industry, I met some lovely people on the way who have taken beauty therapy and are beauty therapists they are people who I wouldn't say are close friends but people I am still in contact with and listening to me with the above conversations said "are you mad, go for it its brilliant" "do it"

I am 31 now without me leaving full time work I am now hopefully enrolling on a part time beauty therapy course for 1 year. My issue which is causing me so much worry is having the confidence to basically practice on paying clients who come into the college spa, the tutor also mentioned you must have lots of practice on family & friends, I'm a natural worrier and now all I can think of is I have few family and very few friends. Not from choice but mainly because i shut myself off from people thinking i'm not good enough, or expect I will be let down. Now I'm going through this thought if i dont have many people around me will I fail?? already that negative brain has come out again ,and again I have no confidence and worried that I need about 50 people outside my college course to practice on.
Can anyone help put my mind at ease with what actually happens on this course?.
All I can think off is " what if" "what if she dont like the way I do something" "what if I do something wrong" etc.
I know this sounds a bit silly coming from a girl my age but seriously I can't tell you how much I was put down as a child which has made me like this all throughout life so far or since I can remember.

Thank-you for your help

Hi! Your experience in life sounds so very similar to my own. You have to TRY and get this: get over the hurt cos whatever that person/those people did to you is because they were mean, sad and unwell. Do not let them ruin your life. Everything is in your head, all those negative thoughts feed negative feelings - if you change your thinking then the rest will follow (easier said than done!!!). Me too was so nervous starting my level 2 at the age 31 and worried Id be not smart enough etc etc and guess what? I was at the top of the class in exams! and as I just went for my level 3 A&P exam I scored highest out of the whole group there! AND this is the same person who worried I would fail the whole course. I love this industry and if I had let those worries taken over then I would never be where I am now.

SO - You go for it!!! You will definitely not be the only one in there nervous about treating those clients! In my college we were all crazy nervous but then u get the support from others and that makes it all so much better! then you do the first client and after that you think oh gosh that wasnt so bad at all!! I promise you - you will be absolutely fine!!!!! Let us know how u get on please and wishing you the best of luck ever!! xxx

This thread is awesome! Go for it.

I went down so many different career paths and I am now 32 and starting in September to qualify in beauty therapy. I am soo nervous but at the same time really excited as it is what I have wanted to do for a long time, now I have kids and by the time I am qualified, they will be starting school. Perfect timing.

It is great to know that I am not the only 'oldie' out there . . lol.

Good luck OP on your journey. I bet once you get started your confidence will soar!

Salzgirlie xx

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all well?

My first thought before writing this . " Will people start getting fed up with me writing thank-you again"

Anyway ... hehe Thank-you again I can't tell you and express how grateful I am, I have read these messages and stories over and over and still amazed at these and has really touched me. I am so thankful for everyones time each and every one of you have taken the time to write and reply to me and not just a few words either. Your kind words, guidance and advice means alot to me.

I have sealed and posted my enrolment so my belly is going over.

Beautygirl- I had CBT therapy and I found that to be very helpful which I had for 2 1/2 years thankfully for me I had private medical care through my work so took the opportunity to go. It was alot worse a few years ago. I wont go into detail afterall we all have our little situations and problems in life. I may try and go again.

again your all such a lovely bunch of people and I cant thank-you enough. Really pleased all of you are doing so well and fullfilled your ambition and dream.

xx

I'm so glad you've posted off your form, well done!

Just got enrolled ordered my text book and beauty dictionary just need order uniform and kit now x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Just got enrolled ordered my text book and beauty dictionary just need order uniform and kit now x

I just completed my level 2 I'm 21 & it was so fun. I'm a mum as well so it gave me time to act like a child at breaks lol. Enjoy it!xx

yay!! which college are u going with? x

Hi Claire
Firstly can I say if the picture you are displaying is a picture of yourself you are absolutly gorgeous and should not worry about what other people think at all. I know this is easier said then done as I am also a natural worrier just like you. I have started my NVQ2 but I did a short intensive course which although I am getting through, I would not reccommend. If you can do it slowly do it. It will give you self confidence and allow you to work at your own pace in your own time and be your own boss.

Just remenber a couple of things, when people put other people down, it is usually to do with their own insecurities, they are usually jealous of you for whatever reason,:smack: deep down they feel inferior to you and this is how they protect themselves by lashing out at others. There is a saying someone once said to me and i find it really works "Do what you are afraid to do".
I too felt insecure when starting my course but it is the best thing I have ever done, it is going to give me so much freedom as I will be working for myself.

Also this site is great, there are a lot of fantastic supportive people on here.

Go for it girl and good Luck!

Rgds

Nateice xx

Latest posts

Back