Beauty Therapy NVQ's revised content???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am having a huge dilemma at the moment deciding what to do about college!!
I've applied for the city and guilds level 3 but have received conflicting information about what it actually includes (my tutor mentioned the merge of 2 courses; Body and Beauty which include different things) and have also received a letter informing me that the college may not even get the funding for city and guilds L3, so are offering NVQ 3 as an alternative.

The things included as shown on my college's website are below...

CITY & GUILDS LEVEL 3 DIPLOMA IN BEAUTY THERAPY

Course Details:
You will study the following subject areas:

Anatomy and physiology
Body electrical treatments
Epilation
Facial electrical treatments
Massage
Treatment theory

COST - £1816.75
-----------------------------------------------------
NVQ LEVEL 3 ADVANCED APPRENTICESHIP

Course Details:
The NVQ qualification is work-related and will relate specifically to your job role.

Mandatory units include:

G1 Ensure your own actions reduce risks to health and safety
G6 Promote additional products & services to clients
G11 Contribute to financial effectiveness
BT16 Epilate the hair follicle using diathermy, galvanic & blend techniques
BT17 Provide head & body massage treatments
BT18 Improve body condition using electro therapy
BT19 Improve face & skin condition using electro therapy
Also included:
BT31 Provide self tanning treatments

COST - TBA

In my opinion the level 3 qualification would be more attractive to students and probably employers if it included things like tanning, microdermabrasion, eyelash extensions, nail enhancements, advanced waxing techniques, make up and other popular treatments.

For me personally, the electrical training would only be relevant if i were looking to enter employment in a large salon or spa who offer these treatments and in my area currently, there aren't many! The massage part of the course is obviously quite essential but I am yet to be convinced that the electrical is!

Its a real shame that the information available is so vague, its an important decision for potential students to make, nevermind the huge costs involved! I'd like more information if anyone can help!? xx:)

I think it would be a great idea to update the NVQ's in beauty therapy. As somebody touched on earlier, i have never had to mix up my own face mask using fruit and veg or witch hazel etc. (The only use that knowledge has ever served me was in a pub quiz, they wanted to know what kaolin was :idea:!!!)

I have disagree about getting rid of facial electrics though, I have used it it every salon/spa i've worked in. Whether it was iontophoresis, micro-current or high frequency. I do think they should add micro dermabrasion to it too though.

I also think its a great idea to include brazilian waxing and spray tanning too.

Body electrics, i have never used.

Maybe the reason we are finding less salons are offering facial electric treatments is because people have stopped wanting to learn them. I don't understand why facial electrics would put somebody off wanting to gain NVQ3 beauty therapy. Same for electrolysis, which i personally love but there are so many girls who are choosing not to learn it.

xx:hug:xx

Forgot to say, I totally agree about the facial mask thing, we were trained using dermalogica but were NEVER allowed to use the masks they had in the stock cupboard!?

An explanation from my tutor was 'Its important that you know how to mix masks this way as there is no guarantee that the salon you work in will have branded masks available for you to use...' I had to stop myself laughing in her face! How ridiculous!?

Im confused as to why employers are so intent on employees being L3 trained when the actual qualification doesn't include a great deal of treatments?! (according to my college's inclusions, L3 is basically massage, epilation and electricals) Surely someone who is L2 trained with extra qualifications in tanning, nails, eyelashes etc is more profitable?!

Confused! xx:)

Forgot to say, I totally agree about the facial mask thing, we were trained using dermalogica but were NEVER allowed to use the masks they had in the stock cupboard!?

An explanation from my tutor was 'Its important that you know how to mix masks this way as there is no guarantee that the salon you work in will have branded masks available for you to use...' I had to stop myself laughing in her face! How ridiculous!?

Im confused as to why employers are so intent on employees being L3 trained when the actual qualification doesn't include a great deal of treatments?! (according to my college's inclusions, L3 is basically massage, epilation and electricals) Surely someone who is L2 trained with extra qualifications in tanning, nails, eyelashes etc is more profitable?!

Confused! xx:)

I must say I have never made my own masks either and I have been in business for 15 years .So they realy should drop that one .
Going back to level 3 As an employer I would preffer someone who is quallified to do everything rather than just the basics .
In my salon we are very busy with Massage And Electrical treatments .

Ruby

I am having a huge dilemma at the moment deciding what to do about college!!
I've applied for the city and guilds level 3 but have received conflicting information about what it actually includes (my tutor mentioned the merge of 2 courses; Body and Beauty which include different things) and have also received a letter informing me that the college may not even get the funding for city and guilds L3, so are offering NVQ 3 as an alternative.

The things included as shown on my college's website are below...

CITY & GUILDS LEVEL 3 DIPLOMA IN BEAUTY THERAPY

Course Details:
You will study the following subject areas:

Anatomy and physiology
Body electrical treatments
Epilation
Facial electrical treatments
Massage
Treatment theory

COST - £1816.75
-----------------------------------------------------
NVQ LEVEL 3 ADVANCED APPRENTICESHIP

Course Details:
The NVQ qualification is work-related and will relate specifically to your job role.

Mandatory units include:

G1 Ensure your own actions reduce risks to health and safety
G6 Promote additional products & services to clients
G11 Contribute to financial effectiveness
BT16 Epilate the hair follicle using diathermy, galvanic & blend techniques
BT17 Provide head & body massage treatments
BT18 Improve body condition using electro therapy
BT19 Improve face & skin condition using electro therapy
Also included:
BT31 Provide self tanning treatments

COST - TBA

In my opinion the level 3 qualification would be more attractive to students and probably employers if it included things like tanning, microdermabrasion, eyelash extensions, nail enhancements, advanced waxing techniques, make up and other popular treatments.

For me personally, the electrical training would only be relevant if i were looking to enter employment in a large salon or spa who offer these treatments and in my area currently, there aren't many! The massage part of the course is obviously quite essential but I am yet to be convinced that the electrical is!

Its a real shame that the information available is so vague, its an important decision for potential students to make, nevermind the huge costs involved! I'd like more information if anyone can help!? xx:)[/QUOTE]

are you at bournemouth, i didnt finish my level 3 as did it as an apprentiaship and we where all rushed, we started just before xmas this year n all the girls are nearly finished, i have learning problems and found it very heard to learn everything as quickly, i would pay out for the course, atleast your there for a whole year 3 days a week. i did love it there though x

I teach beauty therapy and we do come across many of the girls who do not enjoy electrical face and body treatments, but this is usually because they cant get their heads around the sciency theory bit.IMO I think they should have to do face and body electricals, as this gives them the grounding for a) a better chance of employment and b) the knowledge and understanding that is needed to keep up with new treatments. Faradic and galvanic treatments are in many salons, including treatments such as ionithermie, guinot face treatments, CACI etc, all of which are highly profitable and very popular treatments, they just aren't advertised as 'faradic' or 'galvanic' and this is what the girls fail to realise at first. many salons now offer new employees training in IPL/Laser/micro dermabrasion etc, so a basic understanding of face/body electricals is highly advantageous.
Electrolysis, as has been mentioned previously by another geek, will be optional, which is probably for the best (although i love doing electrolysis!).

I'm in bournemouth yes, finished my L2 in july this year and am deciding what to do about L3?!! So undecided, and to be honest, Im really not leaning toward L3 at the moment! Spoke to a few of the L3's this year before I left and the overall feel was that the course is a bit of a let down :|

The less said the better, but my overall experience of bournemouth college was not a pleasant one! This year doesn't seem any different with regard to organisation and information available (or lack of..) however, if they pull their finger out and there is a course which is well explained, organised and available, Im not adverse to going back.

Im not overly keen on the idea of an apprenticeship personally, I'd quite like to just do my qualification and find my own way.

I think the reason its so difficult to decide is because of the lack of information given and confusing stories as to what is actually included in the different courses!

What was your experience like? What was included on the course you started? x:)

City and Guild have bought microdermabrasion as a mandatory part of their electrical facial unit from September, and have took out High Frequency (I think). Which is a step forward. The units are available to do, its mainly whether the colleges have the capacity to be able to offer them.

i am trained to level 3 beauty, i also feel that college beauty courses need updating to suit the needs of the industry now, glycolic peels and mda would be much more suitable for students at present. students are being taut old treatments are techniques that just arnt used any more, this would further there carrers when leaving college.

Latest posts

Back