Becoming a make-up artist

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allabout beauty

Reaction score
Hey everyone as many of u know a do a range of beauty treatments but the one I love and am most passionate about is make-up I love it I get such a buzz whenever I do it, I was trained in just basic day time// bridal but would love to do more, but how do I go about it? How do I get my foot in the door Market myself etc would love to hear from other mua's for tips and advice :)

Many thanks
Kat xoxo

Would love to know this too :)

You've gotta build up that portfolio first...

Get that full of all kinds of looks

Talk to colleges, amateur photographers or new ones starting out and promote each other

Get on board with your brand. I follow every MAC artist on Twitter

X

Fab, thank you :)

Definitely get a portfolio going. After that, start networking yourself. I also volunteered to do things such as photo shoots or fun test runs with friends who I shot photos of to just help people see my work and my capabilities.

It's a tough one, but really put yourself out there! You have to prove yourself through your portfolio :)

You can get loads of testing jobs through Model Mayhem and Pure Storm so register with them and get working on your book. X

Hi I have just done this , like u I worked in beauty therapy bit always loved it when a bride came in and I got the chance to do make up, .
Model mayhem has been a god send and a great way of networking. But u need to have a mob 4 picture s as a start and not just u takin a pic on ur camera phone if u know what Mean.
I got a my starting pics by advertising on gumtree and just explaining ur situation. And getting a photographer, model all working for free for a copy of the photo . Yes they are not the best , but it got my profile accepted and I have now done some fab shoots and got a few great pictures and starting to build my portfolio.

I have also enrolled in a course in fashion and photographic makeup at a local college . As I only had a basic knowledge and this has given me knowledge in face/ eye shapes and colours and how to compliment them.

One thing I will say is that it's a very, very competitive Market but if ur like me and just love all things makeup then it's worth the effort .

Thanks everyone for the info and advice going to def look into found an advanced make-up course that I def going to do and really put my all into it and def start on that portfolio

Latest posts

Back