Beginner and starter kit

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CR14

Reaction score
Hi all,

After years of experimenting with ordinary polish and nail art as a hobby I’ve decided I’d like to pursue this as a business as it’s something I’d love to do. Whilst I have gel nails done at salons and by gel effect polish from the beauty counters on the high street, I’d like to practice all the prep and gel polish at home on myself with my own lamp whilst I undergo my training and courses.

However I’m unsure what gel polish to buy ( as a lot of the brands are only available if you are qualified, which I’m not as of yet or if you upload your certificates and have trained with that brand) and also what lamp as I know it’s recommended you buy the lamp which goes with the product. Any information or advice would be much appreciated.

Hi CR14,
I'm in the same situation. However, a lot, not all, professional brands will sell to you as a student. I believe you must email them proof of enrollment. Plus I've bought several starter kits from Sally's beauty supply, both in the store and online. Although the kits are mostly mini sized, a lot of them come with a DVD. Sally's isnt the only place for newbies to buy product. Its just the only one closest to me. So far I really like IBD and Naio nails gel products.

If you’re serious about building a successful business rather than just a hobby, then I recommend investing in good quality training and professional brand products from the start.

Hi CR14,
I'm in the same situation. However, a lot, not all, professional brands will sell to you as a student. I believe you must email them proof of enrollment. Plus I've bought several starter kits from Sally's beauty supply, both in the store and online. Although the kits are mostly mini sized, a lot of them come with a DVD. Sally's isnt the only place for newbies to buy product. Its just the only one closest to me. So far I really like IBD and Naio nails gel products.
Thanks so much for the info. Much appreciated. Im sure I’ll be back on here asking for more advice- such a great forum.

If you’re serious about building a successful business rather than just a hobby, then I recommend investing in good quality training and professional brand products from the start.
Thanks- I agree- I know myself when I have my nails done I like quality and want to build a professional and reliable image for my business- many thanks

After years of experimenting with ordinary polish and nail art as a hobby I’ve decided I’d like to pursue this as a business as it’s something I’d love to do. Whilst I have gel nails done at salons and by gel effect polish from the beauty counters on the high street, I’d like to practice all the prep and gel polish at home on myself with my own lamp whilst I undergo my training and courses.

Hi CR14,

What's stopping you from just trying it on your close girlfriends as a test? You sound like you have tons of experience and passion in this already!

Hi CR14,

What's stopping you from just trying it on your close girlfriends as a test? You sound like you have tons of experience and passion in this already!

With polish this is a good idea however it’s not recommended with gel polish or other professional products. Over exposure to these products is leaving the client and tech at risk of an allergic reaction plus damage with incorrect application and removal.

Latest posts

Back