Being a boss and running your own business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GEEKS_R_WE

Reaction score
hi everyone. i have been pondering for quite some time now whether to open my own nail or not.
I'm currently working in a salon part-time since August last year after 3 years off and am enjoying it very much. Nervous and slow at first but now I think I can safely say that my nails are of a good salon standard.

The only problem is that I find it a wee bit frustrating that the salon only offers full set acrylics or gel powder and pretty much nothing else when I know there's so much more to offer the customers, hence why I'm thinking I should open my own salon.

Problem is have I got what it takes to be a boss?
My only positive at the moment is that my nails/art are nice and I really enjoy what I do and the customers.
My negative is that I'm self doubtful sometimes of my work so if someone complimented my nails, I would be thinking are you sure? Or if a really difficult customer comes in and wasn't happy I'm worried that I would not be assertive enough to handle the situation.
The reason I say this is that my friend who is also a nail tech came to my shop to help cover for anther member of staff on leave. This is the first time she has seen me work and she said that she can see how much I enjoy nails when working on client but I come across as very laid back unlike her who is very self assured even though she knows less than me but can work very fast.
But I think this is not enough to be opening your own salon. I think you need more than that.
In an ideal world running your own business and making money from doing something you enjoy sounds good but then there are all the other things to think about. Such as managing staff and not letting them walk over you, handling customers, managing accounts etc.
What do you think?
I'd really appreciate all your opinions.

Tbh, if you lack confidence in yourself & find it difficult to be assertive/confront problems head on, i can imagine you would find it extremely difficult to run your own salon

I'll be honest. It doesn't sound to me like you are ready to open your own salon. Obviously everyone will have doubts/niggles but yours sound a little more than that.

Do you have the capital to do this?
Do you have a large client base?
Is this something you have been thinking about for a while or just a whim?

It takes a whole lot of hard work to open and run a salon. I am in the process of opening my own, just awaiting planning, and I am sleepless already and there is a whole lot more to come. It takes allsorts they say but you need to be sure of yourself.

What position are you in at the moment? Are you employed? Self Employed?
If you are employed and you think you have what it takes to run your own business why not look into renting a room somewhere first to get a taste for managing your own clients/pay/stock?

While some people and some personalities seem naturally able to be the boss and take charge, supervising and managing a business is not something you're just born with. It is a skill, or a series of skills, that can be learned. If you ask on this forum, you will find that people worked long and hard to develop the skills, both as a tech and as a manager, to be successful. If this is something you are committed to doing, figure out a course of action that teaches you what you need to know. Do an honest inventory of what you're good at and what needs work; what body of knowledge are you missing? It sounds like you are not confident in your skills as a tech, so go back to school, intern or apprentice so that you know your skills are solid. It also sounds like you need some skills in business management, so your local community college or adult ed center may be useful to you.

Laid-back can be an effective management style as long as it is not based in fear or lack of confidence. I think you are likely to be properly assertive once you feel more confident in your skills.

Why not take some management and business courses. Education in all aspects will better you. Maybe open a home salon or booth rent where you are in charge of just yourself?

I'll be honest. It doesn't sound to me like you are ready to open your own salon. Obviously everyone will have doubts/niggles but yours sound a little more than that.

Do you have the capital to do this?
Do you have a large client base?
Is this something you have been thinking about for a while or just a whim?

It takes a whole lot of hard work to open and run a salon. I am in the process of opening my own, just awaiting planning, and I am sleepless already and there is a whole lot more to come. It takes allsorts they say but you need to be sure of yourself.

What position are you in at the moment? Are you employed? Self Employed?
If you are employed and you think you have what it takes to run your own business why not look into renting a room somewhere first to get a taste for managing your own clients/pay/stock?

I don't think it's a whim or at least I hope it's not. I've been thinking about it years ago before I had my 3 year break.

I'm currently employed on a part time basis.

Client base, I don't have even though there are customers who have requested for me to do their nails out of salon but I have refused as I believe it to be unethical.

Capital, I have saved some money even though it has been very hard as I'm a single parent with 3 kids and not working for those 3 years has not helped so if I were to go ahead and do this using everything I've got, then it would be a very big chance I'm taking.

Renting seems a good idea..I'll look into that. Thanks

Why not take some management and business courses. Education in all aspects will better you. Maybe open a home salon or booth rent where you are in charge of just yourself?

Home salon for me is a no no as I live in a flat on a council estate. Booth rental sounds good and so does the being in charge of myself bit. I'm going to look into it, Thanks

Latest posts

Back