Being mobile disadvantages

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hairstylist2010

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm starting to find i'm finding a couple of things in my job...

• I'm feeling like i'm bending over backwards to accomodate people
  • People expect me to work Monday-Sunday every hour under the sun (my hours are stipulated on my website)
  • That my clients don't actually appreciate what I do do
  • That there is a constant stream on social media groups I'm part of where stylists literally compete to get the customer, with one local lady even incentivising their new clients to recommend them

Does anyone else find this? I know i'm probably due to refresh some of my skills which is fine but part of me thinks "do I ever want to be part of this anymore?" I'm now working 4 nights Mon-Thur and all day Saturday too and day hours but it's just getting to the point that I wonder if this is what i'm meant to be doing? I also question should I home salon instead? I have done a few people recently who have smoked in their own homes or are generally really quite dirty and I'd rather not put myself through it...

Just feeling really pants at the mo

I've been mobile for many yrs now! I luv it but miss the salon where you keep in touch with new trends etc! I've had clients come & go over the yrs but have some regulars I've been seeing for 20 yrs, I class them as friends! If I'm not happy going in someone's house or I don't think they appreciate me I make an excuse not to go back! You do meet 'alsorts' lol! I don't work Saturdays anymore because I don't want to!
It sounds to me like you need to lay down some guidelines, if someone wants you to do their hair they will fit in! You will feel much happier! Good Luck xxx

In the past year I have been mobile and worked in a salon and both have their disadvantages. Mobile can be a pain in the ass but you don't have to answer to anyone and I feel you can connect with clients on a more personal level (because you are in their home) which leads to better client retention. Also I find it easy to keep up with new trends, youtube is a great resource or just google it! :)

I have been a mobile hairdresser for over a year now and I work 6 days a week, start early and finish late most days! Now that I am busy and have lots of regulars I am going to have set working hours! If I start early I will finish early, if I start late I'll finish late! Lol the good thing about being mobile is you can decide when you want to work! When you are starting out you have to work all hours to gain clientele and then after a while you can relax lol x

I have been a mobile hairdresser for over a year now and I work 6 days a week, start early and finish late most days! Now that I am busy and have lots of regulars I am going to have set working hours! If I start early I will finish early, if I start late I'll finish late! Lol the good thing about being mobile is you can decide when you want to work! When you are starting out you have to work all hours to gain clientele and then after a while you can relax lol x

I'm at this stage also.
The good bit is you decide when you want to work, the hard bit is trying to stick to it!

When I was mobile, I had a full time job so did mobile evenings and weekends, most people want mobile then too so depending on your hours chosen you may need to make a couple changes, saying that your customers don't need to know that when you say you're fully booked and the latest slot you have is ..... That you infact are not, you're just not working those hours.

I found my prices where too low and pulled in the ungrateful's so I put them up and then I was too expensive for people wanting all for nothing but perfect for people who appreciate a good job and happy to pay for it.

One issue I find is that my clients expect me to be a lot cheaper than salons as in their eyes I dont have over heads to pay. I try to explain to them that being mobile I can only fit in about half the clients I would be able to in a salon due to travel, having to set up and clear away at each client, and people not being ready when I turn up, but no one seems prepared for the privilege of having treatments in their own home x

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

One issue I find is that my clients expect me to be a lot cheaper than salons as in their eyes I dont have over heads to pay. I try to explain to them that being mobile I can only fit in about half the clients I would be able to in a salon due to travel, having to set up and clear away at each client, and people not being ready when I turn up, but no one seems prepared for the privilege of having treatments in their own home x

Most of mine expected me to be more expensive, I wouldn't explain, at the end of the day whether were in a salon or mobile, you still need a wage per hour before adding expenses ontop. People expect us to work for nothing as they don't think about time and the skills they are paying for.

I stuck up recently in a fb group for a girl who was charging way to cheap anyway and had loads of cheapskates wanting her to do cheaper... Full head foils with cb £25 they were saying if you'll do 20 ill book you, they were all arguing well colour costs xxx and the developer xxx and that's it, so I jumped in, breaking it down with everything including the time spent there would be 2.5-3 hours meaning she was working for 1.50 per hour, would any of you work for £1.50 per hour? It's not even minimum wage! They all apologised and I'm glad I managed to open a few eyes around the hair and beauty industry with these people but still.

I messaged her privately to ask why so cheap? Not to do herself an injustice and to up her prices as she was saying she only does it because she loves hairdressing and not for the money, (had another job) I asked her if she wanted to ever just do full time mobile, which she did, and I then explained why she will lose most of the customers she has gained when the time comes to doubling the cost.

I love being mobile, I work when I want to and around my childcare. You are only working all those hours because you've booked everyone in- you don't have to. Also it's great that you can be so busy too. Maybe if you have enough clients rethink your working pattern and stick to it and if you don't have space for anyone new then don't say yes. You are in control.

I work mobile and part time in a salon 2 days a week, I pick and choose my mobile hours if I want to or need to work a sat I will do it , but most Saturdays I take off , I am hairdressing over 20 years and feel I have a great balance now ! I try and limit my late nights to one max 2 as I also do late night in the salon , I think there is no pleasing some people you will find that and re smoking , people light up when you arrive - some people just aren't aware! Some are just rude !! Good luck xx

I am at a stay at home salon and the issues you have listed are pretty much the same at home.
..... i put a massive rant on my fb, twitter and website just before xmas stating how i now work in bullet points so no body takes the pee out of me anymore!!!

I love love love the hair side of it but sometimes the people themselves make it so hard to perserve on through. I went through exactly what your going through last year. Xmas people were arguing over appoontments on my fb page as i work at a first come first serve basis and there arguing over themselves and me over appointments. I was like RIGHT THATS ENOUGH!! Haha.
I did thay big rant and every1 is great with me now!
Maybe do the same. If u feel people are taking the pee then express yourself. I nearly sacked it all and was looking to go back employed. But so glad i said what i said and did what i did because every1 actually respects me alot more now. Good luck xxx

""""Ok good morning guys i think we need to get a few things straight. I am feeling a little overwhelmed at the moment. I only have 2 hands and love that you all enjoy my hair styling and beauty therapy treatments but patience really is a virtue!

1. At your skin test/consultation appointment i always agree to a price so for example.....we agree your having a root tint. This means 1 colour applied to the virgin hair washed off then cut then blowdried. Not bleaches colour corrections toners ect..... so please dont book in for a root tint then only come with that money but ask for colour correction but then only pulling out the root tint money, this is not fair!

2. Turning up 40 mins early to your appointment is unacceptable. If you are 40 mins early for your appointment there is no where for you to wait, if you went to a high street salon and had a 9am appointmet and turned up at 8.20am for your appointment you would simply have to wait in the car untill the first member of staff turned up.

3. I DO NOT WORK SUNDAYS. I only have 1 day a week off and this is sunday. I say this is a day off infact this is a day to order stock, do taxes, paper work, record cards and clean the salon. Please stop asking me for a sunday appointment.

4. Cancellations less than 24 hours will incuur an 50% charge of your overall bill UNLESS you have a valid reason. "Im a bit skint" or " i have to wait in for a package" is not a valid reason.

5. Colours on hair will NOT be performed without a skin test. "I have coloured my hair for years though" means nothing to me. Please understand this is for your safety.

6. I will only be taking appointments via fb, twitter, call or text between mon - fri 8am -8pm and sat - 10am - 5pm. Not on saturday night at 11pm when youve had a few 2 many sherries, forget the appointement then refuse to pay the cancellation fee..... everyone deserves an evening off!

7. Appointments work on a first come first serve basis. Please work with me and each other to try and get you the appointment you want. Screaming at me in my salon infront of 3 other customers for 15 mins because i dont hav the patricular time you want next week will solve nothing.

8. MATES RATES from today is a thing of the past. Full price for every body. (Except u mom, i understand, 46 hours of labour blah blah)

With all that negativity out the way i hope you all understand why this needed to be said and done. I am trained and have extensive knowladge and hope we can now go on from here with an open mind!

Youve all been so kind and loyal and regular. And i thank you. Lets see 2014 in with a bang. Im more than happy for you to comment below on what you want different from me???""""""

All.of my clients written in the comment box "fair play to you" "yes this needed to be said" "completely agree with you"

Now im fully respected and loving my job again!

Xxxxx

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek mobile app

i am at a stay at home salon and the issues you have listed are pretty much the same at home.
..... I put a massive rant on my fb, twitter and website just before xmas stating how i now work in bullet points so no body takes the pee out of me anymore!!!

I love love love the hair side of it but sometimes the people themselves make it so hard to perserve on through. I went through exactly what your going through last year. Xmas people were arguing over appoontments on my fb page as i work at a first come first serve basis and there arguing over themselves and me over appointments. I was like right thats enough!! Haha.
Maybe do the same. If u feel people are taking the pee then express yourself. I nearly sacked it all and was looking to go back employed. But so glad i said what i said and did what i did because every1 actually respects me alot more now. Good luck xxx

""""ok good morning guys i think we need to get a few things straight. I am feeling a little overwhelmed at the moment. I only have 2 hands and love that you all enjoy my hair styling and beauty therapy treatments but patience really is a virtue!

1. At your skin test/consultation appointment i always agree to a price so for example.....we agree your having a root tint. This means 1 colour applied to the virgin hair washed off then cut then blowdried. Not bleaches colour corrections toners ect..... So please dont book in for a root tint then only come with that money but ask for colour correction but then only pulling out the root tint money, this is not fair!

2. Turning up 40 mins early to your appointment is unacceptable. If you are 40 mins early for your appointment there is no where for you to wait, if you went to a high street salon and had a 9am appointmet and turned up at 8.20am for your appointment you would simply have to wait in the car untill the first member of staff turned up.

3. I do not work sundays. I only have 1 day a week off and this is sunday. I say this is a day off infact this is a day to order stock, do taxes, paper work, record cards and clean the salon. Please stop asking me for a sunday appointment.

4. Cancellations less than 24 hours will incuur an 50% charge of your overall bill unless you have a valid reason. "im a bit skint" or " i have to wait in for a package" is not a valid reason.

5. Colours on hair will not be performed without a skin test. "i have coloured my hair for years though" means nothing to me. Please understand this is for your safety.

6. I will only be taking appointments via fb, twitter, call or text between mon - fri 8am -8pm and sat - 10am - 5pm. Not on saturday night at 11pm when youve had a few 2 many sherries, forget the appointement then refuse to pay the cancellation fee..... Everyone deserves an evening off!

7. Appointments work on a first come first serve basis. Please work with me and each other to try and get you the appointment you want. Screaming at me in my salon infront of 3 other customers for 15 mins because i dont hav the patricular time you want next week will solve nothing.

8. Mates rates from today is a thing of the past. Full price for every body. (except u mom, i understand, 46 hours of labour blah blah)

with all that negativity out the way i hope you all understand why this needed to be said and done. I am trained and have extensive knowladge and hope we can now go on from here with an open mind!

Youve all been so kind and loyal and regular. And i thank you. Lets see 2014 in with a bang. Im more than happy for you to comment below on what you want different from me???""""""

all.of my clients written in the comment box "fair play to you" "yes this needed to be said" "completely agree with you"

now im fully respected and loving my job again!

Xxxxx

sent from my gt-n7000 using salongeek mobile app

i could not love this more!

I do all my appointments via text only (except my oldies) this way I'm not put on the spot or begged to have their hair done on a Friday night (grrrr) I just say nope can't do then, but I can do **** or ****
As for mates rates my attitude is sure go to a salon and pay more and they will be back

I am at a stay at home salon and the issues you have listed are pretty much the same at home.
..... i put a massive rant on my fb, twitter and website just before xmas stating how i now work in bullet points so no body takes the pee out of me anymore!!!

I love love love the hair side of it but sometimes the people themselves make it so hard to perserve on through. I went through exactly what your going through last year. Xmas people were arguing over appoontments on my fb page as i work at a first come first serve basis and there arguing over themselves and me over appointments. I was like RIGHT THATS ENOUGH!! Haha.

""""Ok good morning guys i think we need to get a few things straight. I am feeling a little overwhelmed at the moment. I only have 2 hands and love that you all enjoy my hair styling and beauty therapy treatments but patience really is a virtue!

1. At your skin test/consultation appointment i always agree to a price so for example.....we agree your having a root tint. This means 1 colour applied to the virgin hair washed off then cut then blowdried. Not bleaches colour corrections toners ect..... so please dont book in for a root tint then only come with that money but ask for colour correction but then only pulling out the root tint money, this is not fair!

3. I DO NOT WORK SUNDAYS. I only have 1 day a week off and this is sunday. I say this is a day off infact this is a day to order stock, do taxes, paper work, record cards and clean the salon. Please stop asking me for a sunday appointment.

4. Cancellations less than 24 hours will incuur an 50% charge of your overall bill UNLESS you have a valid reason. "Im a bit skint" or " i have to wait in for a package" is not a valid reason.

5. Colours on hair will NOT be performed without a skin test. "I have coloured my hair for years though" means nothing to me. Please understand this is for your safety.

6. I will only be taking appointments via fb, twitter, call or text between mon - fri 8am -8pm and sat - 10am - 5pm. Not on saturday night at 11pm when youve had a few 2 many sherries, forget the appointement then refuse to pay the cancellation fee..... everyone deserves an evening off!

8. MATES RATES from today is a thing of the past. Full price for every body. (Except u mom, i understand, 46 hours of labour blah blah)

With all that negativity out the way i hope you all understand why this needed to be said and done. I am trained and have extensive knowladge and hope we can now go on from here with an open mind!

All.of my clients written in the comment box "fair play to you" "yes this needed to be said" "completely agree with you"

Now im fully respected and loving my job again!

Xxxxx

I absolutely love this, I wish I had the balls to be able to do this to x

I wish i had done it years ago. I think people just try it all the time. Especially with me being tender age of 26 and majority of my customers in there 40s. Xx

Do not under sell yourself!
You are providing a personal service where you go to the clients and offer a 121 professional service! Celebrity's pay a fortune for that!

Hairdressing is a passion we have to take the rough with the smooth! I keep updated by attending courses and hair shows etc. stick with it Mrs x

Do not under sell yourself!
You are providing a personal service where you go to the clients and offer a 121 professional service! Celebrity's pay a fortune for that!

Hairdressing is a passion we have to take the rough with the smooth! I keep updated by attending courses and hair shows etc. stick with it Mrs x

Well said Jody! :)

Latest posts

Back