Being taken on by a salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samantha johns

Kettering, Northamptonshire
Reaction score
Hi there ladies I trained in nails back in 2007 did a day refresher in 2009 at the moment I do gel polish on a mobile bases , but I wondered if anyone had been taken on with a salon and they gave you in house training in other areas ? I would love to further my knowledge and step it up a bit.

Hey have you been trained in other areas? For example waxing, facials etc? If so they may take you in and show you their method, if not then you will need to take a course in hair or beauty x

Hi ya no I have only been trained in nails and apart from gel polish I'm very rusty with extensions. I was just wondering if people would take you on if you were keen to learn. X

Unless you apply to a training academy:college then I don't think salons would teach, unless you apply for an apprenticeship where you can work and learn at the same time x

Hi ya no I have only been trained in nails and apart from gel polish I'm very rusty with extensions. I was just wondering if people would take you on if you were keen to learn. X
Hi Samantha
I can tell you my experiences of trials in a salon.
I done a set of nails for a salon to show what stage i am at doing nail extensions..which isnt perfect yet. She decided to take me on with some training, me offering to work for free ad i knew i needed experience, we advertised half price acylics for training purposes. When people came and had a set done she pressured me for time and i needed half an hour to finish buffing and shaping, i was rushed to finish and knew they wasnt finished, i need 2 1/2hrs for sculpted and gel polish, even her experienced nail tech took 2 hrs for just a gel removal and reapply, another client who admitted she was a picker said 2 gels had chipped off. Both coming back when i wasnt there to be redone. The salon owner then said after saying she couldnt see anything wrong with how i apply acrylic..i wasnt ready to work in a salon..i questioned this as we agreed training but she laughed and denied she any training was being offered and had no time to train..even though advertising was done for nail tech to train. This really made me angry and knocked my confidence as i wasnt given a fair go. I need extra time as it is having a disability and this sucked!
I hope you find an honest salon , make it clear you want training and get it in writing if you can.

Hi Samantha
I can tell you my experiences of trials in a salon.
I done a set of nails for a salon to show what stage i am at doing nail extensions..which isnt perfect yet. She decided to take me on with some training, me offering to work for free ad i knew i needed experience, we advertised half price acylics for training purposes. When people came and had a set done she pressured me for time and i needed half an hour to finish buffing and shaping, i was rushed to finish and knew they wasnt finished, i need 2 1/2hrs for sculpted and gel polish, even her experienced nail tech took 2 hrs for just a gel removal and reapply, another client who admitted she was a picker said 2 gels had chipped off. Both coming back when i wasnt there to be redone. The salon owner then said after saying she couldnt see anything wrong with how i apply acrylic..i wasnt ready to work in a salon..i questioned this as we agreed training but she laughed and denied she any training was being offered and had no time to train..even though advertising was done for nail tech to train. This really made me angry and knocked my confidence as i wasnt given a fair go. I need extra time as it is having a disability and this sucked!
I hope you find an honest salon , make it clear you want training and get it in writing if you can.

Forgot to add i am qualified in acrylics and gel polish so not from scratch training*

I was trained in acrylic 2007 and 2009 just a refresher but have never put that training into practice really I have also played with hard gel as it doesn't smell and I get told of for stinking the house out lol x

If you are trained with a certain service then YEs a good attitude and willing guess to learn is key.

However no salon is in my opinion going to hire you to do treatment that you not qualified to do.

Latest posts

Back