Best iPad in salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grace_Hair

Reaction score
Hi, thinking of getting an IPad. At the moment, it's just me in the salon.
I only want to use it for booking system and to take pictures.

Which would you recommend? Should I go for an old style or newer one?

A newer one is better if you pm me I can tell you about a special offer we are offering on various tablets coming very very soon.

Hi, thinking of getting an IPad. At the moment, it's just me in the salon.
I only want to use it for booking system and to take pictures.

Which would you recommend? Should I go for an old style or newer one?

Hi Grace,

In my experience, this is completely dependent on the booking software you're using. If you're using a web browser based tool like ours, it won't really matter if it's iOS or Android based as long as you can connect to the internet. That said, here are some tips:
  • Go to a store and try all the tablets yourself.
  • Bring a paper and pencil to write down all the model numbers and prices of the ones you like. Then look up the technical specifications, and reviews online to make sure there aren't any major problems.
  • After buying a tablet, get a protective case to prevent drops and spills.
Personally, I go for battery power and price. My personal preference is Android based operating systems, and I tend to gravitate towards Samsung tablets.

Last edited:
We use ovatu and I've just bought my second ipad for salon use. There are 3 of us - 2 full time, so we have an ipad each. We also have a main computer in reception. Ovatu can be used on phones, computers, I pads and tablets but seems to be particularly good on ipads. I've bought 32 rather than 16 and paid about 350 for each. I've found them to be fab.

We can check clients out easily, add products and payment and can still access info if Internet goes down.

I was quoted a lot with several software companies but ovatu does it all got for £30 per month with no upfront costs x

We use ovatu and I've just bought my second ipad for salon use. There are 3 of us - 2 full time, so we have an ipad each. We also have a main computer in reception. Ovatu can be used on phones, computers, I pads and tablets but seems to be particularly good on ipads. I've bought 32 rather than 16 and paid about 350 for each. I've found them to be fab.

We can check clients out easily, add products and payment and can still access info if Internet goes down.

I was quoted a lot with several software companies but ovatu does it all got for £30 per month with no upfront costs x

I'm now a massive Ovatu fan. You don't need to sell it to me! Had Peter on the phone for training this morning.

The only bit that concerns me is the 'checking in' thing. Do you always have time?!

Was yours a brand spanking new model? X

I'm now a massive Ovatu fan. You don't need to sell it to me! Had Peter on the phone for training this morning.

The only bit that concerns me is the 'checking in' thing. Do you always have time?!

Was yours a brand spanking new model? X
No but you can do it retrospectively so we often go through and click the check in buttons. We also use the ipads in treatment rooms to keep client notes up to date.

Brand new ipad air from John Lewis x

If you go for the iPad, consider whether to get one with a SIM card as well as wifi. I have a sim on my iPad and just wifi on my iPad mini.

I initially bought the iPad mini to try it out and loved it so much, I gave it to my son and bought myself a new iPad with a SIM card and a lot more memory.

I briefly tried an android tablet but sent it back after a couple of weeks and now I prefer to keep everything with apple products because it enables you to share data easily between devices and one iTunes account.

I must admit @AcidPerm I wish I'd bought me - salon owner extraordinaire - the sim card one x

I didn't even realise there was a SIM card one?

Can I prove my ignorance and ask why the 'sim card one' is the best? Keep toying with the idea of getting one but technology isn't my thing [emoji4]

Can I prove my ignorance and ask why the 'sim card one' is the best? Keep toying with the idea of getting one but technology isn't my thing [emoji4]

Because a SIM card enabled tablet allows you to get internet like a cell phone, and not be limited to WiFi.

Because a SIM card enabled tablet allows you to get internet like a cell phone, and not be limited to WiFi.

Thank you. As I'd only use it at work and would have wifi I guess that's not a priority.

I hardly ever remember to check in untill the end of the day lol!

@squidgernetball were they the large I pads for £350?

Thank you. As I'd only use it at work and would have wifi I guess that's not a priority.

I'm sure your right but with me, I thought I wouldn't use a tablet much as I had a laptop and desk top computer at home, but my laptop is only used when I want to watch a DVD nowadays.

That's why I upgraded to a full size iPad and an optional sim is so handy if your wifi goes down. I just use a PAYG account and buy an Internet add-on occasionally.

It's a real shame you can't hire them for a month to see how much you'd use it before deciding whether to buy and what model to get. <business opportunity there?>

I bought the iPad Air 2 last week. £320 on Amazon....

I paid £339 as a price match from John Lewis with a 3 year warranty included x

It's also worth trying Costco. I've bought my desktop, laptop and a FitBit (Charge HR) from there and they've all been cheaper than on the high street.

I just got an iPad air2 on O2 business for £26 a month. It is 16gb and comes with 4gb a month.

I've had an iPad 2 for ages but the poor overused thing is dying..

Latest posts

Back