Best place to train in semi perm makeup?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracymileham

Reaction score
I have one of my therapists at work who wants to train in semi permanent makeup where is the best place to train xx

I have one of my therapists at work who wants to train in semi permanent makeup where is the best place to train xx

There is no real best as such, several companies offer good thorough training programs. It depends on what her focus is and existing knowledge. Has she studied make up or has she got an ideas for who she likes? My advice is to give a call around and discuss.
Each of these are good companies with recognised training programs, excellent equipment and costs are relatively comparable. There are others but these below are some that I personally know are good.

Nouveau Contour
Natural Enhancement
Dawn Cragg
Dermace
Finishing Touches

Elite Training Academy (opens in November and will be offering VTCT qualifications)
GoldenEye UK (opens Jan 2014)

Great thorough basic training is essential, then progress to getting some further training alongside a professional whose work you like. Training is progressive and takes time.

Hope this helps. x

Last edited:
This is something I've been thinking about for a long time, there's a lady locally who did a one day course and now offers brows, eyeliner, lip liner and full lip blush. I don't fancy a one day course in something so important to get right - does anyone know the lengths of courses these people/places offer?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

This is something I've been thinking about for a long time, there's a lady locally who did a one day course and now offers brows, eyeliner, lip liner and full lip blush. I don't fancy a one day course in something so important to get right - does anyone know the lengths of courses these people/places offer?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

1 Day?? :-0 run lol. Trust me long term she will be encountering serious issues if she hasn't already.

Average is 10 days to 2 weeks with theory just to get basics. Usually they are split or at least that's how I started. Bear in mind that it's not a one off thing to train in. You start with the basics then practise and develop skills through further training. Some trainers offer taster days, this is a great idea as it is not for everyone. Some just have a natural gift for it, being creative helps but there is a lot to take on board, science, hygiene, etc... Aswell as producing a pleasing aesthetic.

Best advice I can give is to do your research very well, speak to others who have trained with your selected company (ies) and ask for the good and bad points. You want to know who will be teaching you so you can research them as no matter how great the company, the actual trainer is so important obviously. Be wary of being price led, there are some costs involved so pay cheap for a course and kit that is rubbish/unsafe and you will end up either throwing money away, or paying to train again.
Support is so important and trust me you will certainly need it.

I think many see it as a short course and a money spinner, take that out of your mind and be prepared to work very hard, for little money in the beginning rather than charge full price to attempt to get your money back while you are building your portfolio and perfecting skills.

Training really is ongoing, I have spent a great deal over the years and I consider it to be an investment, I try to do a course and at least one workshop or seminar per year.

Your ideal scenario is to train and then try to obtain an apprenticeship with an experienced tech, can be tricky in the UK but I know of a few who have managed to get one. x

Permanent make up is really difficult I have been doing it 10 years and only recently I have felt fully confident, it hard! Even the eyebrows I see on here as examples of work I think oh that's not right the hair strokes are wrong but I wouldn't say anything as I know how difficult and how much practice it's requires. Eyeliner is easier, lip liner can be tricky too, blending it etc. I would never advise doing permanent make up as a side line, in my opinion it's a profession in itself! When it comes to training go with noveau, I have experience of a few other companies but all I can say is go a conversion course at noveau and its packed with people trained elsewhere and are there to convert as they do not feel confident. Do not under estimate how difficult it is.

Ok thanks guys so what is the best company that you have listed and is it worth her training in it x

Ok thanks guys so what is the best company that you have listed and is it worth her training in it x

I think it is! But it is hard for me to say which one specifically is right for your therapist as I mentioned in my first reply. Each that I listed have excellent programs for different reasons. It also depends on what previous training she had had and what her interests are. The best advice I can give is to speak to a few companies and maybe see if they offer a taster course for her to go see if it is right for her.

Nouveau are a good company as Eternalscot has pointed out.

Permanent make up is really difficult I have been doing it 10 years and only recently I have felt fully confident, it hard! Even the eyebrows I see on here as examples of work I think oh that's not right the hair strokes are wrong but I wouldn't say anything as I know how difficult and how much practice it's requires. Eyeliner is easier, lip liner can be tricky too, blending it etc. I would never advise doing permanent make up as a side line, in my opinion it's a profession in itself! When it comes to training go with noveau, I have experience of a few other companies but all I can say is go a conversion course at noveau and its packed with people trained elsewhere and are there to convert as they do not feel confident. Do not under estimate how difficult it is.

I would love to see some of your work Eternalscot :-D perhaps one day you will share some with us ?

Just thought I would reply to your question about Semi-Permanent Makeup Training.

My name is Katy Jobbins, I am a trainer in permanent makeup myself, & I run the multi award-winning 'Permanent Makeup Training Academy' in Sussex.

You are right in your discovery that inquiring about training can be a complete minefield so I would like to offer you some advice.

I have written report entitled '“12 Things You MUST Know Before You Invest in Permanent Makeup Training” that I think might be useful to you.

You can see it on my website at the following link:

Permanent Makeup Training 12 Things You Must Know Before You Invest in Permanent Makeup Training

It is separated into 12 different parts.

All my training is 1 to 1 personally with me and I keep it as simple and easy to understand as possible. I train a new student each and every single week and it is all I do day in day out and I specialize purely in training permanent makeup and doing my own private clients.

One Final Bit of Advice…

When researching to find the best possible training, remember, it is very personal to yourself, so one last tip would be to have a look at their website and the language they use.

Is it friendly and easy to understand or do you have to be a genius to work out what it means?

If you want more information then you can download my full training course prospectus from my website. Permanent Makeup Training Academy Home Page - Permanent Makeup Training Academy when you put your name and email address in the form on the home page.

Also if you have any other questions or would like to pick my brains about helping you start your career in permanent makeup please feel free to call my office on 01444 300157 at any time.

I also have over 300 student, client and live demonstration videos on my YouTube Channel at permanentmakeupuk - YouTube

Good Luck with whoever you choose to train with.

Katy x

Latest posts

Back