Best practice gels?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllThumbs

Reaction score
I was cleaning out my class room today and discovered we have no practice gel. i have to propose a practice gel to my main instructor and it has to be inexpensive and easily obtainable. no brisa or axxium because the cost is too much just for students to practice with. anyone know any good one step gel systems that would serve this purpose? i use eco personally but its not easily obtainable.

Can you get EzFlow?

I didnt know ez flow made gel. what is ten? i am not very fluent in the world of gel so trying to sell ppl on a new product i know nothing about is kinda tough lol i will google both those brands. can i get a website for ten? i tried google and couldnt find it

Last edited:
TEN is not really that affordable and is a one step--so I don't suggest it as something for new students. EzFlow has Gel It! TEN is under TuffEnuffNails.

ibd is pretty cheap!

I Considered ibd because they carry it at our local sally beauty. i know ibd was once the go to product for gel but how does it measure up to the gel my students will likely encounter after graduation?

I'm afraid I don't understand the concept of a 'practice gel'? Practice to do what? Apply a gel and get it right only to go onto to a different type of gel and have to start over?

There are different types of gels: those that are just painted on; those that can create a structure; buff off; soak off; those that are 1 component; those that are 2 component etc etc

I think that if students are learning 'nails' as opposed to using a specific brand they should have the opportunity to use a variety. Then they won't be lost when working in a salon using a different type. They will at least have a good start.

I don't consider learning with 1 'cheap' gel a thorough training at all

Mum i would love to provide my students with lots of different things to try but i dont control the budget: i am just an instructor student so them allowing me the opportunity to purchase new product is a feat in itself. i want them to at least have enough knowledge about some kind of gel that they dont go out blind. what little i know i had to teach myself so i am just trying to give the girls a headstart. the admin of the school doesnt want to waste 500 on a gel kit just to have it wasted on polish bottles and practice hands. i cant blame him, so i am trying to make the best out of it and find something they can waste so they will have a little exp.

You should look at the lechat protect range of gels.

Good quality but well priced and they shouldn't be too hard to get hold of in the USA.
LECHAT Nail Care Products

If Nailite inc still has a distributor in the UK, I would advise using them.
They are VERY VERY affordable.
They offer: soak off, buff off, paint on gel, thicker sculpting gel, coloured gels, gel polishes (for natural nails)... etc etc..
The whole gamut.

They also carry L&P and a gazillion other things too.

Keep in mind too, that bulk buys make for even more savings. As a school, you'd be bulk buying.

Professional Nail Tech Supplies - Nailite Products

And their gels: Nail Enhancement Gels

hth's

I see you are in Tennessee. Since you can get IBD at Sally's, it would be one way to go. They still have pretty good quality and a couple different viscosities. Which I think would be key as an educational tool. The different viscosities is what makes it hard for some people to become profficient with different brands. Another good one with a good price, different viscosities and huge product range is Light Elegance. They also have very good customer service. You might even be able to talk to them about educational packs and prices. Light Elegance Nail Products

Mum i would love to provide my students with lots of different things to try but i dont control the budget: i am just an instructor student so them allowing me the opportunity to purchase new product is a feat in itself. i want them to at least have enough knowledge about some kind of gel that they dont go out blind. what little i know i had to teach myself so i am just trying to give the girls a headstart. the admin of the school doesnt want to waste 500 on a gel kit just to have it wasted on polish bottles and practice hands. i cant blame him, so i am trying to make the best out of it and find something they can waste so they will have a little exp.

I do understand the problems with budgets in colleges (I used to suffer from it quite a while ago). It is such a shame and I don't envy you in trying to keep everyone happy.

There seems to be some good recommendations here. The thicker gels are harder to master in my opinion and any 'soak off' can be buffed off for the purpose of learning.

At least you are taking your teaching seriously (unlike so many!!) Good luck

OHHHHHHH she's in the USA

OMG then go with Nailite. They can't be beat for their pricing. They have everything you can think of.
You'll love'em :)

Wow you guys have so many great ideas. i am glad i posted this. i will spend this weekend trying to google and contact all these companies and see what i can come up with! thank you all

Christrio's Gelaquer is very nice. I think their half ounce pot was like 20 something dollars.

*edit*
Oh wait nevermind, LE has a way nicer deal! In fact, I might actually want their gel... hehe.

Nailite beats those prices too lol

All of my instructors use ibd on their clients and absolutely love it! Unfortunately our school doesnt teach gel really, so what a sweet teacher you are to push for it! I'm teaching myself with ibd which is a bit thicker than Brisa from what I can see, not sure if that's good or bad... but it's definitely affordable! And dont buy it from Sally's if you can avoid it, it's sooooo much cheaper on online supply sources, since Sally's pro discount isnt wholesale

Latest posts

Back