Best Shellac colours for 'older' ladies?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JulieJ

Reaction score
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1399659167.770848.jpg
These are my colours, mainly Shellac but there a few Gelish and Ibd in there too.
I think I'm ok for pinks, corals, lighter shades etc... which my younger clients like but I'm struggling to choose some new shades for my slightly 'older' clients who do lean towards the darker shades. I would say my most popular with those ladies are Rubble and Tango Passion. Please can you tell me what I'm missing for these clients? I'm planning on buying Cerulean Blue & Sultry Sunset anyway but what else shall I buy.
Thank you

Hi JulieJ, about 60% of my clients are 60 or over, the shades they tend to go for are RoseBud, Rosebud layered with strawberry smoothie or beau (makes it lighter), strawberry smoothie on its own, Black Pool with Hot Chillis over (makes a gorgeouos burgundy but different to Masquerade which is also popular, I also find the older ladies much prefer pearl finishes to matt, seems softer against older skin so they're probably right lol

Also Tropix but not on its own, try it layered with Iced Coral, Moonlight & Roses, or Strawberry Smoothie

These are my most popular colours amongst my older ladies xx

My most popular Gelish colour with the older ladies is Glamour Queen. I don't know if Shellac do something similar.

None of my "older" clients like the stereotypical colours! My mum (70) loves green and blue in every variety with large helpings of glitter and nail art. An 82 year old adores yellow, gold and anything wacky. A 75 year old has every kind of glitter you can imagine, I could go on and on lol

I find that younger clients like more subtle colours that I'd personally say were for older clients!

Not much help I'm afraid but maybe you should ask your clients what they'd like to have.

Karaxxx

Red Baroness, wildfire, Hollywood, masquerade, dark lava and decadence are what my older clients go for mainly. That said I did an older clients nails yesterday and she went for hot pop pink with a silver holo glitter fade and she loved it! Rosebud I find my younger clients go for.

I guess it depends and differs from client to client. My ladies are classic and sophisticated :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

My older clients are my more adventurous! Especially my retired ladies who no longer have to keep their nails on the conservative side.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Red Baroness and Masquerade are my top 2!

Tinted love, satin pyjamas and rosebud for my mature ladies ...although like the rest of you , I have a few who would make your eyes water with what they decide on.

Thank you for all your replies. Blossom, I think you're definitely right about pearlised shades. I do offer M&R as a layer to soften any colour. Do you all think the same goes for Vinylux shades? I only tend to get asked for regular manicures /pedicures by my older ladies and they seem to want pale and pearly or dark. Your advise is invaluable x

I remember reading an article in a glossy ladies mag, that glitter nails should not be worn on anyone outside of their teens, and that mature ladies have to tone down their nail colours, so as not to drawn attention to ageing hands. This made me so angry.
I am in the 'older' age group. I have been described as 'unique and different' and have never been called classic and sophisticated (sadly). I like bright colours, nail art and glitter.
I have toned down my clothing style (well most of the time) as I have got older, but I think we all need a little something to keep us young, with me it's my nails.
I keep up with nail fashion trends, and embrace new techniques. Most of the time my nails are bright, loud and definitely not for the faint hearted.
Hopefully health and finances permitting, I will continue to wear my nails as bold as possible.
As Twid said, probably best to ask your clients what colours they like, as you may find you buy colours thinking it's what they want, and they end up being shelf sitters.

Last edited:
Rosebud, Cocoa, Satin Pajamas, Strawberry Smoothie, Nude knickers, and Clay Canyon are all nice and subtle enough for my 84 year old grandmother, who is very conservative with her colors.

Latest posts

Back