Best time to start a business?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eloise86

Eloise86
Reaction score
Hi there, is there a 'best' time to open a hair salon? I've got clientele but appreciate you may lose some... Which time of year is better?

I think that's a tricky one!!

I started in May so is settled before the summer 'rush' started.

Maybe October before the Christmas rush?

I honestly don't think there's a best time. It just depends on how much you put into it.

Hi there, is there a 'best' time to open a hair salon? I've got clientele but appreciate you may lose some... Which time of year is better?
I would personally proceed with caution.
'Brexit' has had a significant effect on our economy and people aren't spending as much as they might normally. This isn't to say that things won't improve, I just think that people are 'being careful' because everything is so uncertain.
It's just worth thinking about. Have you done market research in your area to check that there is a need for a salon and who your market is?

I think that's a tricky one!!

I started in May so is settled before the summer 'rush' started.

Maybe October before the Christmas rush?

I honestly don't think there's a best time. It just depends on how much you put into it.

Thanks grace, I'm such a worrier

I would personally proceed with caution.
'Brexit' has had a significant effect on our economy and people aren't spending as much as they might normally. This isn't to say that things won't improve, I just think that people are 'being careful' because everything is so uncertain.
It's just worth thinking about. Have you done market research in your area to check that there is a need for a salon and who your market is?

Do you really feel brexit has made an impact? I don't want to open a big salon just a room in my home with basin etc.... So I'll only have me to worry about and would like to think clients would follow?

Brexit hasn't had an effect upon my business, business is booming, I book six weeks in advance and haven't experienced any wobbles. I chose to open in a January to make sure I had a calm opening period to allow me to gently grow and develop with the salon for a couple of months. This won't be right for everyone, decide what you want from the experience and plan for that and don't waste your valuable time worrying, choose and move forward.

I've so far, not had Brexit affect me.

I don't believe it will with regards to booking.

If anything there may be struggles to get some products etc.

Several salons made it through the recession and i believe Brexit won't be a patch on that.

You could open in January, but start promoting in advance and sell treatment vouchers that could make great x-mas stocking fillers.

It depends what you want... If you want to get settled and into the swing of things before a big rush (like Grace_Hair said) then go for slightly before summer or a couple of months before Christmas. However if you open in the middle of summer or end of November, you're sure to get clients in straight away for their holidays and Christmas pampers!
With regards to Brexit, personally I think you've got more chance of surviving in business if you start now. In a few years we will be in a huge recession, so you might as well get things going now and build your business before that hits us!
Otherwise there will be no chance of opening a new and successful business during a recession, when banks aren't lending as much and people reduce their spending. Especially if you need a business loan from a bank to help you get started.

Good luck! xxx

Hay, I'm new to this. Can anyone tell me how I can ask a question on here? Ps I think October before Christmas rush and do an offer on vouchers (€100 voucher could cost €80)

Personally, I don't think Brexit would have a meaningful impact on opening a salon in the next year or so.

I don't think there is ever a "best time" to start a business, as such - many people spend their whole life waiting for the "perfect time" to do something, and never do...

I don't think Brexit will effect anything for a while, it certainly hasn't effected us yet, I opened in November which I felt was a great time because we had the christmas rush and I gave all our clients a 10%off voucher for the January, which got them back in, This was 3 years ago, We have just relocated to a bigger premises at the end of march so it worked well for me! I think you just need the grit and determination and you'll succeed! Good luck! L x

Don't do offers at all... Ever... That's my best advice!

I opened in October 2013 & enjoyed the Xmas rush but seriously I could have pulled my own eyeballs out in the lull afterward in Jan Feb March, in the years since January and February haven't been too bad but the first one sucked!

There is no best time in my opinion, when your ready is the time, if you've saved enough money to live on (something I also diddnt do but probably should have) have a solid business plan with goals, enough capital to set up, then your ready :)

Thanks guys, it's so scary as I have mortgage etc. I currently rent a chair at a salon but want to have a family, chair rent and child care is so high I'd have to work silly hours to make money. I'm really busy at the salon but appreciate I'll probably lose a lot of clients. Didn't know wether to offer 20% off first visit then 20% off to recommend a friend to build up what I lose. I also don't like offers and have never had to do them.. Do you think it's bad idea?

I think the best time is when you have a suitable premises and enough money to tide you over your first year or so of trading. I don't think anyone realises the costs associated with opening a salon.

It helps to have an established clientele but it also helps to have a fall back.

The general guide is that in the first year you're likely to make a loss, the second you'll break even and by the third year - if you're still going, you might make a profit!

I have a salon with 3 staff and take home minimum wage although I do take extra money from the business on dividends. I was far richer working from home, but I can now go away and still have a business that pays all the bills while I'm on the beach.

Vic x

I'm looking to start maybe sept/oct to be settled by Christmas rush x

Mine will be a home salon providing planning permission allows it, I don't want staff... Possibly 1 person to rent a chair eventually but that's it... Xxxxx

Latest posts

Back