Best way to approach tutor?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kellsy

Reaction score
Not sure if this is in the correct forum, so my apologies if it isn't :)
I'm after some advice if poss' please.
I started my Level 3 nails in September, and last night we began L & P, the tutor demonstrated one nail, and then we had to crack on. The tutor spent the rest of the evening out of the class dealing with level 2 students that had personal issues. The girl I was working on already does nails and told me I obviously wasn't suited to L & P, just got very frustrated and feel miserable about it all.
Sorry for the epic post, but I'm not sure how to speak to my tutor without sounding whiny, many thanks x

well the girl you were working on sounds like a bit of a bitch!! It was your first attempt and the sum total of your tuition was to watch one nail being done, if it was that easy we'd all be nail techs after going to a salon to have our nails done for the first time. Dont let it get to you and dont give up, a good nail tech makes l&p look really easy but its a really difficult skill to master and takes time and patience, but if you keep going you will get there. I was a model for a friend once for her l&p training and she had to take half an hour out of the classroom and have a cup of tea because she was close to tears, because she found it so difficult and was frustrated that she couldnt get the results she wanted.

Regarding your tutor I think you should be direct with her and tell it how it is. Dont be nervous and look for the most diplomatic way of approaching her, you are paying for that course and you are entitled to a reasonable level of input from your tutor. Explain to her that you are struggling with your l&p because you only saw her do one nail then were left to your own devices and that you need more input from her so that you can improve. Say it nicely by all means but be firm and confident and make it clear you are not prepared to be put on a back burner while she deals with other things.

Was it just you practicing on another student who has done l&p before? If it was the whole class then maybe it was for them to advise you to make it easier and you. I would have a chat with head of faculty and put your concerns across that most good college's have a councillor if the students have personal problems, and if the student finds it easier to speak to their tutor then it should be done out of class time as within the in class time the educator should be doing exactly that their contract of employment states (to educate the student to the best of their ability and within the set guidelines).

If you paid or are of the age where higher education is free you are entitled to receive the same standard of education as someone who paid £5000 or someone who paid for their kit only.
Do not stand for sub standard education, there are enough therapists and hairdressers leaving college with a standard of skill that is way below a budget salon would expect, yet their educator is able to teach higher but doesn't. Do not stand for it and demand education xoxo

I can relate much to this I've just started my level 2 and my tutor is the same does very quick demos and leaves us to learn our selves I've learn more in this forum and online research and a lot I've learnt is diff to what's she's taught and when I questioned it she just said they teach old school - I've spent 1400 on course and kit am wonder what's the point when there not teaching up to date techniques

I must admit I did call her a little bitch in my head :), I think she was just feeling a bit smug, after I had completed one nail, she said she'd do the rest!!
It was all us Level 3 girls practising, a couple have already done L & P, but most of us that haven't got pretty fed up after nearly 3hrs of no help/advice.
Thank you for your advice, I am a good 10 years + older than most of the others (36), but i really want to pursue nails.
I think I shall write a list of my concerns this evening, this may help me stay on track when speaking to the tutor, and so that i don't sound like I'm moaning, as I understand that she must be struggling teaching 2 different levels. I just want her to understand that I am there to learn, and that if I wanted to be left to my own devices, I could have taught myself (badly) lol.
Thank you again, was feeling a bit sorry for myself, lastnight/today xxxx

I can relate much to this I've just started my level 2 and my tutor is the same does very quick demos and leaves us to learn our selves I've learn more in this forum and online research and a lot I've learnt is diff to what's she's taught and when I questioned it she just said they teach old school - I've spent 1400 on course and kit am wonder what's the point when there not teaching up to date techniques

It is disheartening, isn't it. I too have spent hours on here, learning more than i probably will do at college. I hope your course improves, I guess we just have to keep our chins up and keep geeking :lol: xx

Gosh I'm not surprised you were feeling disheartened and a bit lost with that kind of tuition & lack of support from other learners!

Sounds like you may be left to it more than you'd like on this course. Sadly from having worked in a college myself I know they are mammoth beasts to tackle, if you choose to. Good advice about speaking to staff etc. try the pastoral team yourself, often they can advocate if you get nowhere.

Don't want to be negative but realistic. If you are left to your own devices I suggest you buy a copy of Nailclass by Gigi Rouse. Not that you can learn purely from a book but it will help you to keep your practice on the right track. Best of luck! Xx

I work as a tutor from time to time (not in beauty) as I'm only just starting out with my nails business. Any tutor worth their salt would far rather a student said early on if they didn't understand something/wanted to go through it again rather than being unsure and suffering in silence and then only asking for help on the evening before the assessment. In my last teaching job we advocated student-centred learning, part of which was to encourage students to reflect on their level of understanding and take any steps necessary to improve it. Your tutor should regard your raising your issues with her as the responsible thing to do.

I'd agree that generally speaking it is better for tutors to deal with students' personal issues outside of the class time but there might have been an emergency that made this impossible - we don't know. However the tutor ought to be aware that her absence may have resulted in other students missing out on valuable tips and feedback that she would have otherwise been able to give. Definitely say something - you could just say that you appreciate that she had been called away from the class for good reason, but that you still have some questions from the session that you need to resolve and that you think others may have felt the same, so perhaps it would be quicker if she could go over the technique again in the next class and then allocate a bit more time for you all to practise and receive feedback. That way you don't sound like you are whinging but raising a genuine concern. It will also save the tutor time in the long run as many of you may have the same problems so she can address them all at once.

As to the girl you were practising with, ignore her! She's a student, not an expert, so she isn't qualified to comment on your ability to do l&p. Don't let her knock your confidence.

your tutor won't know how you feel unless you tell her.

unfortunately tutors in FE colleges are expected to full a lot of different roles with a lot of different courses and are at the beck and call of everyone.

so, be nice but say you could do with some help, its not fair that she's not be supervising a new technique.

and yes, the other student wasn't being helpful.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get hold of my tutor, but I shall on Monday. I know that I need to speak to her, as I shan't be happy in the class until I have. I did go to the library and get a number of books out, and nailclass has been ordered :)
Thank you again for your advice, It's much appreciated, i don't feel quite so miserable now :) Think I'll try avoiding working with the same girl again lol xx

When you started your course was a class spokesperson elected? Did the others that were there feel the same as you even if it was just the majority? If so the get this person to voice the classes concerns! It sounds far better coming from the whole class than just one person.
The only reason I ask is that when I was in college our tutor used to often just disappear during our class which started to get to us as we where only part time so valued our 3 hours with our tutor. So when we started L & P and this was still happening the class asked me as the spokesperson to speak to her which I did. She was lovely about it and hadn't realised that we needed her there as she was so pleased with how we were getting on thought she could just 'pop out' of class. after that she was more aware of what was going on and didn't 'pop out' as much if at all.
HTH and good luck with which ever way you speak to her x

sorry you had a rubbish lesson x

but also if your doing level 3 nails how come you havent done L+P before??

I think that I have now been nominated class spokesperson :), thank you, I'm heading into college early to speak to her before lesson.

When I did my Level 2 beauty therapy, we studied manicure/pedicure and not allowed to touch enhancements until level 3. Our of the 8 girls on my course, 5 of us have not done L&P before, the others have done a weeks course in L&P. I assumed this was the norm, perhaps different elsewhere? :)

Just cause the others have done a weeks course doesn't make them better than you are!!!

Big headed people aren't often as good as they make out they are, they had to start at the bottom and should in no way look down on anyone!!! I bet one day in class they will do something wrong that will make you hold back a snigger .... good luck xx

I remember when I started out, there were other local techs dissing my work and really making me think I had no talent with nails!!!
I'm glad now that after going home and crying, I didn't give up!! I did as many courses ( mainly CND) as my time and pocket would allow! It's funny how those people were made to eat their words when I was in the local papers for weeks after being the first ( as far as was known) welsh girl to come first in my first competition in London!
( level 2 L&P).
It made me realise that you can achieve anything you want if you want it enough. And I sure as H wanted to prove those people wrong!

Don't be as good as the girl who made you feel bad..... Be BETTER! ;)

( that was a mouthful!! Hehe)

Not sure if this is in the correct forum, so my apologies if it isn't :)
I'm after some advice if poss' please.
I started my Level 3 nails in September, and last night we began L & P, the tutor demonstrated one nail, and then we had to crack on. The tutor spent the rest of the evening out of the class dealing with level 2 students that had personal issues. The girl I was working on already does nails and told me I obviously wasn't suited to L & P, just got very frustrated and feel miserable about it all.
Sorry for the epic post, but I'm not sure how to speak to my tutor without sounding whiny, many thanks x

Just ask your tutor if you could talk to her in private and let her know how you feel, to be honest that was your lesson she should have been helping the level 2 students when she had lessons with them, not very professional! Hope that helps :) xx

I know what I'd be saying .... but I don't suggest you say what I would say
BUT ... you have paid money for a service ... and are not getting the service, some tutors are so slack, that's why so many techs look to forums like this.

Just cause the others have done a weeks course doesn't make them better than you are!!!

Big headed people aren't often as good as they make out they are, they had to start at the bottom and should in no way look down on anyone!!! I bet one day in class they will do something wrong that will make you hold back a snigger .... good luck xx

Thank you, and part of me hopes that she does :biggrin: xx

I remember when I started out, there were other local techs dissing my work and really making me think I had no talent with nails!!!
I'm glad now that after going home and crying, I didn't give up!! I did as many courses ( mainly CND) as my time and pocket would allow! It's funny how those people were made to eat their words when I was in the local papers for weeks after being the first ( as far as was known) welsh girl to come first in my first competition in London!
( level 2 L&P).
It made me realise that you can achieve anything you want if you want it enough. And I sure as H wanted to prove those people wrong!

Don't be as good as the girl who made you feel bad..... Be BETTER! ;)

( that was a mouthful!! Hehe)

Wow, well done!! I do have a very competitive nature :biggrin:, and have already spoken to S2 regarding conversion courses! I now more than even want to be a fabulous tech, so thank you x

Latest posts

Back