Best Way To Remove Enhancements?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shhaaannnn

Reaction score
I'm having a little trouble with the removal of acrylic enhancments as they dont seem to want to budge,
I tried accetone, soaking them for several minutes but it just made them go tacky,
Am i doing it wrong ? or not leaving them long enough?
Im not really sure, any help or suggestions would be appreciated,

i know i sound a bit silly but i havent learnt this area with my course :|

sorry for babbling once again :o

Are you still in training?
If you haven't learnt this then tbh you really shouldn't be trying to do this yourself.
You dont say on your profile who you learnt with, and it would help us in our replies if you fill out more details on your profile.
It isn't really just a case of soaking them off i'm afraid there is a bit more to it than that.
Did you apply the nails on yourself? or did someone else. Im sorry you may not like the answer I give you but I would go to someone who is qualified to do this for you rather than risk over exposure or damage to your own nails.
Wait until you have learnt this.
I cant see why any course would not teach you safe removal of product.
Jen xx

I'm having a little trouble with the removal of acrylic enhancments as they dont seem to want to budge,
I tried accetone, soaking them for several minutes but it just made them go tacky,
Am i doing it wrong ? or not leaving them long enough?
Im not really sure, any help or suggestions would be appreciated,

i know i sound a bit silly but i havent learnt this area with my course :|

sorry for babbling once again :o

You need to remove the bulk of the acrylic by filing it down ensuring not to get down to the natural nail...but get as thin as you can safely. Then soak in acetone and gently push the product off with an orangewood stick. It will still take about 30-45 minutes for a complete soak off. Make sure you re-hydrate with Solar Oil.

Are you still in training?
If you haven't learnt this then tbh you really shouldn't be trying to do this yourself.
You dont say on your profile who you learnt with, and it would help us in our replies if you fill out more details on your profile.
It isn't really just a case of soaking them off i'm afraid there is a bit more to it than that.
Did you apply the nails on yourself? or did someone else. Im sorry you may not like the answer I give you but I would go to someone who is qualified to do this for you rather than risk over exposure or damage to your own nails.
Wait until you have learnt this.
I cant see why any course would not teach you safe removal of product.
Jen xx

Sorry i'm still trying to work out how to use the site :o
I am still training yes, with essential nails, im doing acrylic tip & overlay it doesnt focus on removal thats why i asked:|.
Someone else applied them and said that you soak them to remove them.
thanks for the reply :)x

You need to remove the bulk of the acrylic by filing it down ensuring not to get down to the natural nail...but get as thin as you can safely. Then soak in acetone and gently push the product off with an orangewood stick. It will still take about 30-45 minutes for a complete soak off. Make sure you re-hydrate with Solar Oil.

Ah thanks :)
I didnt realise I had to file before, is the 30-45 minutes the time I leave them to soak or an all over time with filing ?
& thanks for a reply much appreciated :Dx

Sorry i'm still trying to work out how to use the site :o
I am still training yes, with essential nails, im doing acrylic tip & overlay it doesnt focus on removal thats why i asked:|.
Someone else applied them and said that you soak them to remove them.
thanks for the reply :)x
Ok that explains it then, :hug:
Just do what Gr8nails has advise but be really careful not to overfile, if the product is quite thick it is going to take a lot of filing to get the bulk down. If you make sure that the product is about as thick as a business card and then soak it should happen quite easy.
Another good tip for soaking is after filing, rub a small amount of cuticle oil into the skin surrounding the nail, take a cotton pad and cut it into quarters, saturate in acetone, place on the nail then wrap with tin foil.
This will quicken the soaking process as the heat from your fingers will make the product work in quicker.
Jen xx

Ok that explains it then, :hug:
Just do what Gr8nails has advise but be really careful not to overfile, if the product is quite thick it is going to take a lot of filing to get the bulk down. If you make sure that the product is about as thick as a business card and then soak it should happen quite easy.
Another good tip for soaking is after filing, rub a small amount of cuticle oil into the skin surrounding the nail, take a cotton pad and cut it into quarters, saturate in acetone, place on the nail then wrap with tin foil.
This will quicken the soaking process as the heat from your fingers will make the product work in quicker.
Jen xx

Ok thanks :D
I will try this out, and i will do so carefully, the tin foil idea is a good one :)
I have a much better understanding now
Thanks for all the help :hug:x

Sorry to butt in but found this post really helpful... It takes me about an hour to get set of gels off and thought that was a long time lol!
But if u take off one set can u put another straight back on?
How many infills can u do b4 they recommend they coming off for a manicure? Cheers :)

Sorry to butt in but found this post really helpful... It takes me about an hour to get set of gels off and thought that was a long time lol!
How many infills can u do b4 they recommend they coming off for a manicure? Cheers :)
Gel is completly different to remove than L&P.
If its a buff off hard gel then that is what you need to do, buff it off. But if it is a soak off soft gel then it can be filed then soaked.
Why would you want to take off one set and put another staright back on, I'm a little confused by this??? but yes this can be done.
With regards to coming off completly then that is a decision that both you and your client need to decide on, if their nails are in good condition underneath and strong enough to just have manicures then that is great, but most clients have enhancements as their own nails are not strong enough to withstand day to day use iykwim
Jen

If your nails are in good, healthy condition, you should be able to put a set on right away. I always performed a mini-manicure with every fill. It helped prevent lifting.

Gel is completly different to remove than L&P.
If its a buff off hard gel then that is what you need to do, buff it off. But if it is a soak off soft gel then it can be filed then soaked.
Why would you want to take off one set and put another staright back on, I'm a little confused by this??? but yes this can be done.
With regards to coming off completly then that is a decision that both you and your client need to decide on, if their nails are in good condition underneath and strong enough to just have manicures then that is great, but most clients have enhancements as their own nails are not strong enough to withstand day to day use iykwim
Jen

It's hard gel and I was taught to soak and file.. But would u do it all by hand or invest in an electric file?
I know u said your confused but I am too lol! Why wouldn't you take off and put on? Is that a silly question sorry! Am new to it all and feel I didn't get very good training... I've looked for book on gels but can't seem to find one..
I've also done couple of infills on other peoples work and products have reacted.. Is that coz I've put gel on acrylic? I didn't know nor did the client at the time it was as she had asked for gel.
How many infills can u do on one set of nails b4 they need coming off?

It's hard gel and I was taught to soak and file.. But would u do it all by hand or invest in an electric file?
I know u said your confused but I am too lol! Why wouldn't you take off and put on? Is that a silly question sorry! Am new to it all and feel I didn't get very good training... I've looked for book on gels but can't seem to find one..
I've also done couple of infills on other peoples work and products have reacted.. Is that coz I've put gel on acrylic? I didn't know nor did the client at the time it was as she had asked for gel.

First of all, NO QUESTION IS SILLY! You're just starting out and that's what we're here for. Ask away. I always recommend investing in a quality efile AND the proper training to go with it.

As far as how many fills before soaking, it all depends on your client. If my client took good care of her nails, used Solar Oil regularly so that her acrylic didn't become brittle and came every 2 weeks for her scheduled appointment, I didn't need to soak off her nails at all. Other clients I had to soak them off every couple of months because they didn't care for their nails properly.

Claire, with a hard gel you need to buff the majority of the product off and then you can soak the thin layer that is left.
I just meant that I didn't understand why you wanted to remove a set and then redo.
I would first make sure you are confident with your hand filing before investing in a Efile, there may be times that you cant use a efile due to a power shortage etc so hand filing is a very necesary technique to have.
With regards to products reacting, it can be because you didn't buff the existing product down far enough before applying your products. I know that salons that use MMA in town react with other products as I found when I was first starting out, and certain salons in town are calling actual L&P nails gel because they charge more for it.
It sounds to me that the training that you originally had was a bit inadequate for you to be comfortable with issues that are arising and the support that you have got from them is non exsistent.
You are doing the right thing coming on here and asking questions but we can only help you so far.
If your skills are right and your product application is spot on, and the product is good enough then you wont have to remove it after so many rebalances, Inferior products can yellow or go brittle over time that is why some places like to remove and do new sets.
its the same old adage you get what you pay for at the end of the day.
You know where I am if you need help. Just a PM away :hug:
Jen xxx
Jen xx

Last edited:
Ok thanks :D
I will try this out, and i will do so carefully, the tin foil idea is a good one :)
I have a much better understanding now
Thanks for all the help :hug:x

When removing acrylic i dont bother with foil , as i find im waiting 50mins to an hour !!!

I use a Acetone proof dish like this : The Edge Warm Water Soak Off Bowl Nails Art Manicure | eBay ,
i then put fairly warm to hot but not to hot water ! and then place the other dish at top of the water and clip the bowls together , then i pour acetone in the top dish and the water heats the aceton up for quicker removal
quickest ive had acrylic nails off is about 15-20 mins x

There is an easisoak system available from Nsi ! More professional looking u open the cap and pour warn water in and in the finger baths u pour a little acetone ! Saves on acetone too!:)

When removing acrylic i dont bother with foil , as i find im waiting 50mins to an hour !!!

I use a Acetone proof dish like this : The Edge Warm Water Soak Off Bowl Nails Art Manicure | eBay ,
i then put fairly warm to hot but not to hot water ! and then place the other dish at top of the water and clip the bowls together , then i pour acetone in the top dish and the water heats the aceton up for quicker removal
quickest ive had acrylic nails off is about 15-20 mins x

Thanks for the help, I will try this too :D
And will invest in one of these bowls, Think I need to :)
Apreciate the help :hug:x

Claire, with a hard gel you need to buff the majority of the product off and then you can soak the thin layer that is left.
I just meant that I didn't understand why you wanted to remove a set and then redo.
I would first make sure you are confident with your hand filing before investing in a Efile, there may be times that you cant use a efile due to a power shortage etc so hand filing is a very necesary technique to have.
With regards to products reacting, it can be because you didn't buff the existing product down far enough before applying your products. I know that salons that use MMA in town react with other products as I found when I was first starting out, and certain salons in town are calling actual L&P nails gel because they charge more for it.
It sounds to me that the training that you originally had was a bit inadequate for you to be comfortable with issues that are arising and the support that you have got from them is non exsistent.
You are doing the right thing coming on here and asking questions but we can only help you so far.
If your skills are right and your product application is spot on, and the product is good enough then you wont have to remove it after so many rebalances, Inferior products can yellow or go brittle over time that is why some places like to remove and do new sets.
its the same old adage you get what you pay for at the end of the day.
You know where I am if you need help. Just a PM away :hug:
Jen xxx
Jen xx

Thanks Jen :)
Yes I bet we talking about the salons but I wouldn't want to name them that's why I just tell my clients I don't touch other peoples work.. Silly I know to turn work away but I just don't want the haste of it so early on! I wasn't being funny about the taking off thing.. Maybe it's me not understanding why u don't take off lol! Tbh my course gave us no info on infills (apart from talking us through how to infill) and when u should take off maybe that's why? The un known and I like to b clued up on things like this :)
Reading posts on here makes me feel I took the wrong course :-(
Is it normal to feel down about your work? Ive learnt so much from the site already and for that I'm very grateful.. Thanks guys :)

First of all, NO QUESTION IS SILLY! You're just starting out and that's what we're here for. Ask away. I always recommend investing in a quality efile AND the proper training to go with it.

As far as how many fills before soaking, it all depends on your client. If my client took good care of her nails, used Solar Oil regularly so that her acrylic didn't become brittle and came every 2 weeks for her scheduled appointment, I didn't need to soak off her nails at all. Other clients I had to soak them off every couple of months because they didn't care for their nails properly.

Thank you.. That makes me feel so much better knowing theres people like u on here willing to help :)
Thought I might get on peoples nerves keep asking questions lol!
Just didn't know what/where else to go to ask!
So where can I get electric file training?

I think that if u buy a e file of Nsi they do free training I might be wrong though check there web site ! They have educators all over the uk !:)

Thank you.. That makes me feel so much better knowing theres people like u on here willing to help :)
Thought I might get on peoples nerves keep asking questions lol!
Just didn't know what/where else to go to ask!
So where can I get electric file training?

You're welcome! It's real important that you work really hard at perfecting your manual filing. I recommend you master that first, but that's your call. Manual filing is so important in our line of work.

As far as where to get efile training, I suggest you use the search feature on this site. I'm in the U.S. so I won't be any help as far as that's concerned.

Hang in there, little one. The fact that you're on this site at all tells us that you're a conscientious nail professional trying to make your work stand out above the rest. We're here for you!

Latest posts

Back