Best way to train as a nail tech ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lallypop

Reaction score
Hi !
I started getting my nails done over a year ago and now I am obsessed! I have self taught myself to do acrylic and some nail art but obviously not to a professional standard.
I am currently training to be a hairdresser 3 days a week and working part time so I am very busy but I would love to train to be a nail tech so I could leave my current job (retail.. ugh ) and do nails while I complete my hair training which could take 2-3 years. I would also like to keep it as a side job when I become a hairdresser because it gives me a lot of joy :)
Almost all the nail tech jobs I have seen require an NVQ and the only NVQ courses I have found are week long intensive courses which I am fairly certain are a con,
Could anyone help me by suggesting ways to become NVQ qualified, which will be recognised as a high standard by employers and will not be a waste of my money ?
Realistically do you think I could be working as a nail tech within a year even in a local salon? Honest opinions will be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks !!

Wow! questions questions! I'll have a good go at answering for you.

Some employers as for NVQ2 others ask for NVQ3. I think to get NVQ2 within a year is realistic whereas NVQ3 would take about 2 years at college. If you have manicure and pedicure qualifications, some places will take you straight onto the NVQ3 whereas other will want you to do the NVQ2 first.

Other employers will specify the skills they want you to have and the level of qualification that prooves that you have that skill, whether it be level 2 or 3 is less relevant. So for example, if you were to do an NVQ/VRQ2 in Nail Serives/Nail Technology, this qualification usually covers mani, pedi and ONE nail extension system (usually acrylic or gel) and if it's acrylic you're most interested in, it would just be a case of finding a course that offered you this option.

Alternatively you could train with CND. If you want to learn at your own pace alongside your current course this could be a good option. You will get an ITEC qualification with this course and be proficient in all CND systems. I've not done this course but I've done one with CND and been very happy with it plus they are lovely products.

I agree that a one week course is too much of a gamble. If you really feel that you can do acrylics well then it may just be a case of needing to get the piece of paper to say you can do it but I guess this would depend on how much you feel you know/can already do vs how much you feel youd need the supervision of a tutor (bearing in mind that when a lot of people begin a nail course their experience of actually using the kit or even getting their nails done is nil).

Hope that helps :)

Haha :) yes I am very eager to begin, as I having been daydreaming about this for months and have just come into a bit of money from a relative and dont want to blow it on a course that gets you nowhere :s
So would you recommend a longer nvq2 course ? I've heard great things about CND courses but that wouldnt give me an nvq and that worries me because nearly all the jobs I saw were asking for nvqs :/
Another thing I considered was an intensive nvq and a few conversion classes in CND ?
Thank you so much for the advice !

Nvq in nails isn't essential as long as you train with a professional company. Nvq or the equivalent qualification. Don't rush into things like this, becoming a nail tech is not easy, it requires a lot of time and effort and even when uve qualified it takes years to become what your aspiring to be!
But if ur serious then go for it and ull never look back, just make sure u choose the right company for u.
It's worth you speaking to geeg about nails, she is the nail queen :p
Good luck chick xxx

Latest posts

Back