Big benefits row

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with you Victoriabar. I also think Universal Credit is going to cause big problems. How can it be guaranteed those in receipt of benefits (obviously this would not apply to all) are going to keep on top of paying their rent, council tax etc? With a lump sum coming in, it could lead to temptation and overspending, which will then create rent arrears etc. I can't see how it's going to work .

I agree with you Victoriabar. I also think Universal Credit is going to cause big problems. How can it be guaranteed those in receipt of benefits (obviously this would not apply to all) are going to keep on top of paying their rent, council tax etc? With a lump sum coming in, it could lead to temptation and overspending, which will then create rent arrears etc. I can't see how it's going to work .

I agree too.., it's a recipe for disaster as most long term benefits people are so used to getting money weekly to give them one monthly sum will result in some budgeting poorly falling into rent arrears and generally making a mess of it! This in turn will lead to more money being spent to recoup this money and then to bail people out.

Be interested to know how it affects the self employed too I know they are insisting you make minimum wage and not offering a top up.....

Annabel12 brings up a good point. The cost of childcare. It's ridiculous here! I have a client who's daughter would love to go back to work after having a baby but she is £65 a week better off on benefits and looking after the baby herself than going to work. Where's the incentive there??

Minimum wage is too low. Childcare is too expensive. Benefits are in many cases too much because of the lying scrounging mongrels getting away with benefit fraud.

Annabel12 brings up a good point. The cost of childcare. It's ridiculous here! I have a client who's daughter would love to go back to work after having a baby but she is £65 a week better off on benefits and looking after the baby herself than going to work. Where's the incentive there??

Minimum wage is too low. Childcare is too expensive. Benefits are in many cases too much because of the lying scrounging mongrels getting away with benefit fraud.

The incentive is the sense of pride in going to work.

In terms of Universal Credit I don't know why anyone cares if people will blow their rent money; but they should not be bailed out.

In terms of Universal Credit I don't know why anyone cares if people will blow their rent money; but they should not be bailed out.

The problem is... They will be bailed out! We all know it! not only that, Landlords will refuse to accept claimants who are in receipt of it, they will be put off and the No DSS signs will go back up, exacerbating the housing crisis further. Councils will be owed loads in rent money and have to take on more staff as income recovery officers and solicitors to attempt to get it back.

When I was on benefits I got some form of income approx every three days so it's very hard to become broke or to squander on large purchases, monthly lump sum payments of universal credit will be very hard for some people who have lived a lifetime paid every 3 days!

People have been spoilt, spoon fed, they are not used to fending for themselves and budgeting is a word that some have no concept of at all!

Hey guys I just read up on being self employed with universal credit, basically you have a year to get your profits to earning the equivalent of minimum wage at 35 hours per week. You have to declare your earnings every month to get a top up and if you are not making a proper profit after one year then your universal credit will be terminated and you will have to go and work for an employer. That sucks for new mums and newly self employed people who can only manage part time. Plus if you are already self employed and you apply you get nothing unless you already earn that. If you ask me that will make it very hard for some traders to start out. They will just say it's a hobby and you have to get another job. There will be no more learning new skills at the start of your business and no more buying in new colour collections for all the newbies out there. You basically have a year to get going then your on your own. Plus they will only support you being self employed if it means you will be financially independent (eg off ALL benefits!) x

Last edited:
Hey guys I just read up on being self employed with universal credit, basically you have a year to get your profits to earning the equivalent of minimum wage at 35 hours per week. You have to declare your earnings every month to get a top up and if you are not making a proper profit after one year then your universal credit will be terminated and you will have to go and work for an employer. That sucks for new mums and newly self employed people who can only manage part time. Plus if you are already self employed and you apply you get nothing unless you already earn that. If you ask me that will make it very hard for some traders to start out. They will just say it's a hobby and you have to get another job. There will be no more learning new skills at the start of your business and no more buying in new colour collections for all the newbies out there. You basically have a year to get going then your on your own. Plus they will only support you being self employed if it means you will be financially independent (eg off ALL benefits!) x

But I don't believe this can be the case if you have children... As a certain amount if income is for the kids (the tax credit and child benefit sections) so I think the rules will be different for those with kids.

But I don't believe this can be the case if you have children... As a certain amount if income is for the kids (the tax credit and child benefit sections) so I think the rules will be different for those with kids.

I hope so or else I'm screwed... I'll have to go out n make my hours up selling my body lol.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

I hope so or else I'm screwed... I'll have to go out n make my hours up selling my body lol.

Me too lol. Id be stuffed i work self
Employed 16 hours with 2 little ones and one on the way

I must say I have never grasped the comments of "you'll be better off not working".....I was a single parent with a mortgage back in 1997, claiming childcare benefits as I refused not to work and I had a mortgage to pay. I only earned 11k working 37 hours a week, so for a very short while I received working tax credits which I was fully entitled to. I had to buy my husband out of our home and back then I had to pay him 30k and re mortgage my house....my monthly take home back 17 years ago was just over 2k a month.... Maybe things have changed a little or they are harder nowadays? maybe it doesn't help if you are in a partnership?....but a lot changes in 17 years of that I'm sure. I soon left the benefit system behind probably within six months and just worked smarter not harder however in this industry and the shocking minimum wage rates and the prices of food and overheads I'm not sure this is even achievable.

Last edited:

Me too :(

Sent from my GT-I8160 using SalonGeek mobile app

That's easier said than done. My partner works with people with learning difficulties (also drug addicts and alcoholics) and they just don't understand nor were they offered any budgeting help.

They will blow their rent money on whatever they need fancy next and will not be able to pay the rent. Then they get evicted. They already live in social housing so shall we just throw them onto the streets?

It's completely irresponsible for the government to make these changes without offering the support to become independent. This is in essence my partners job but he cannot approach them to offer help BEFORE they get into difficulties, he can only help if they ask for it. Which they wont until they are in danger of being evicted.

Who in their right mind decided this!!

That's easier said than done. My partner works with people with learning difficulties (also drug addicts and alcoholics) and they just don't understand nor were they offered any budgeting help.

They will blow their rent money on whatever they need fancy next and will not be able to pay the rent. Then they get evicted. They already live in social housing so shall we just throw them onto the streets?

It's completely irresponsible for the government to make these changes without offering the support to become independent. This is in essence my partners job but he cannot approach them to offer help BEFORE they get into difficulties, he can only help if they ask for it. Which they wont until they are in danger of being evicted.

Well quite obviously it must have been a man because it makes no sense!

Google it peeps I just read it on their web sight. This would majorly stop me starting a new business or learning any new skills if I was just starting out. Xx

Take the positive from it ch-ela, at least his position is looking safe!

David Cameron and his crew of tw*ts decided it lolx

Last edited by a moderator:

This makes no sense, i wonder who come up with these ideas.
If they won't help a working self employed single mum or dad then surely we will just end up with more people not working and needing to claiming higher benefits :-/

Sent from my GT-I8160 using SalonGeek mobile app

I must say I have never grasped the comments of "you'll be better off not working".....I was a single parent with a mortgage back in 1997, claiming childcare benefits as I refused not to work and I had a mortgage to pay. I only earned 11k working 37 hours a week, so for a very short while I received working tax credits which I was fully entitled to. I had to buy my husband out of our home and back then I had to pay him 30k and re mortgage my house....my monthly take home back 17 years ago was just over 2k a month...not bad for a admin position at 24 with a child and a house to support a car and holidays to fund. Maybe things have changed a little or they are harder nowadays, maybe it doesn't help if you are in a partnership....but a lot changes in 17 years of that I'm sure. I soon left the benefit system behind probably within six months and just worked smarter not harder however in this industry and the shocking minimum wage rates and the prices of food and overheads I'm not sure this is even achievable.

When i had my son i was a single parent working 16hours and i honestly would of been better off not working.
I would of got fruit and veg vouchers, all my rent paid and job seekers (which i think was about £70 and i got £90 in salon) and i had to pay towards some of my childcare. So i would of been better off money wise not going back to work. But for my own self worth i did and im glad xx

When i had my son i was a single parent working 16hours and i honestly would of been better off not working.
I would of got fruit and veg vouchers, all my rent paid and job seekers (which i think was about £70 and i got £90 in salon) and i had to pay towards some of my childcare. So i would of been better off money wise not going back to work. But for my own self worth i did and im glad xx

I can't even imagine how hard this must have been for you, but by today's minimum wage I doubt if I'd get out of bed at a brisk pace to be honest, but then I also probably wouldn't be involved in this thread ha ha...

Trying to get the link but if you google self employed universal credit you will find the info x

Latest posts

Back