BL Smoothing Gel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deeders

Reaction score
I've got a client booked in for next week whose nails are very thin and peeling on top at the free edge - all due to radiotherapy treatment, which has now finished. I've suggested I will use the smoothing gel with Shellac on top as she wants a colour. Silly question, but how do I prep/pep the peeling part of the nail? Do I do my normal pep and just file/shape the free edge, leaving the peel alone, or do I treat the peel in some way? Before I was even involved in nails, if I ever had a peel on my nail I would "split it off" with my other nail, but I'm obviously not going to do this to a client, risking more damage and thinning. But I'm thinking if I apply the smoothing gel directly to the peel, won't it just come off eventually anyway and the client will be back in? Or does the gel help keep it all in place?

When I did my shellac training I was advised that I could gently buff peeling nails to remove any loose bits/edges.

You need to gently buff away any delamination before using the smoothing otherwise you risk the Shellac peeling off. Alternatively, in future you could also consider the new IBX treatment which requires no buffing of peeling or splitting nails but bonds them back together, thereby leaving the nail stronger. You can still use the SG over the top and carry on with the Shellac.

Latest posts

Back