Bleach disaster

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njc

Reaction score
Someone has text me from a recommendation of a client because she has scalp bleached her own hair during lockdown (she normally has high lights) and now she has canary yellow roots. It looks like she's been overdoing the blue shampoo and has pure white/grey ashy ends. What can i advise her to do in the meantime. I use Wella but don't have much at home, would a 10.16 with maybe a touch of /88 + pastel work? I don't want to get this wrong because she could potentially be a new client, Im worried if i give her a toner to use her ends will go blue! Please help

I think I would avoid giving her any advice apart from do not touch the bleach again and use a purple shampoo. You could offer to perform an allergy test by leaving it at her door and therefore offer her a priority appointment once lockdown allows you to get back in the salon?

You haven’t carried out an allergy test nor can you actually get your hands on her hair and assess its condition...she’s not an existing client so you don’t have any records on her. I would be very careful as it wouldn’t take much for it to go wrong and you potentially become liable...if she accused you of any damage from your toner or is unhappy with the result which will still be banded massively as it sounds it only lifted to a level 8! you cannot prove it wasn’t your formulation at fault! Would you be prepared to then correct any work there after for free and to offer treatments? That would be the best case...worst case she could sue. People are not earning money at the moment I wouldn’t put it past a new client to jump at the opportunity for a quick pay out if it goes wrong. I know it’s frustrating as we all want to help but I think I’d rather not gain her as a client than risk any of what I have mentioned.

@james28 has said it in a nutshell.

At a push, I’d tell her to shampoo her hair using normal shampoo to remove the excess grey tinge and then to carefully paint the purple shampoo onto the root area for now and avoid the rest of the hair, leaving it on for about 15 minutes. That might neutralise the yellow a little bit.

If you tell her what professional products to buy and how to correct it herself, she’s more likely to continue diy-ing her hair than spend money getting it done professionally.

We’re getting inundated with New posters registering saying they’re qualified and wanting (diy) advice but it’s clear from their questions that they’re not trained in colouring. I don’t mind having to sort out a colour correction or two when we get back but I’m concerned about the diy-ers who won’t bother doing a skin test and could end up in A&E. This really isn’t the time for unnecessary risks.

I think I would avoid giving her any advice apart from do not touch the bleach again and use a purple shampoo. You could offer to perform an allergy test by leaving it at her door and therefore offer her a priority appointment once lockdown allows you to get back in the salon?

You haven’t carried out an allergy test nor can you actually get your hands on her hair and assess its condition...she’s not an existing client so you don’t have any records on her. I would be very careful as it wouldn’t take much for it to go wrong and you potentially become liable...if she accused you of any damage from your toner or is unhappy with the result which will still be banded massively as it sounds it only lifted to a level 8! you cannot prove it wasn’t your formulation at fault! Would you be prepared to then correct any work there after for free and to offer treatments? That would be the best case...worst case she could sue. People are not earning money at the moment I wouldn’t put it past a new client to jump at the opportunity for a quick pay out if it goes wrong. I know it’s frustrating as we all want to help but I think I’d rather not gain her as a client than risk any of what I have mentioned.

At a push, I’d tell her to shampoo her hair using normal shampoo to remove the excess grey tinge and then to carefully paint the purple shampoo onto the root area for now and avoid the rest of the hair, leaving it on for about 15 minutes. That might neutralise the yellow a little bit.

If you tell her what professional products to buy and how to correct it herself, she’s more likely to continue diy-ing her hair than spend money getting it done professionally.

We’re getting inundated with New posters registering saying they’re qualified and wanting (diy) advice but it’s clear from their questions that they’re not trained in colouring. I don’t mind having to sort out a colour correction or two when we get back but I’m concerned about the diy-ers who won’t bother doing a skin test and could end up in A&E. This really isn’t the time for unnecessary risks.

Thanks so much and you are so right! I just really feel for the woman and want to help her.

Yes I have told her to leave purple shampoo on and avoid the ends. I want going to tell her what to buy, I was going to give her a small amount of colour and developer. I guess she will have to wait!

Latest posts

Back