Bleach highlights on virgin hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B89ASH

Reaction score
Hey,

A bit of clarity needed, I have a new client with about 10" of re-growth at a bad 4. She has bleach on the ends and wants a full head of bleach highlights to go back blonde.
I was thinking of alternating 20vol and 30vol to lift it but also to lift it at different stages so it looks like 2 different colours.
It takes me about an hour and half to do a full head due to the length so was going to do the partin last and do 30vol and 40vol so it lifts quicker so it can be washed off sooner.
Just wanted clarification this will be ok?
I usually use HL tint but it wouldn't lift enough on her hair

I'd probably lift it uniformly to about a 7/8 and then do weaved foils with tint, flooding inbetween.

If you just use different strengths of peroxide to lift it, it's still likely to need toning afterwards and if it's both orange and yellow, one toner won't fix it.

I personally , if it's virgin hair, use hair color, lift and tone in one :) although I haven't seen her hair😉 I use color as much as possible.

She has specifically said she wants bleach as other tints haven't lifted it before. I did explain that the colour will not come out the specific colour she wants and suggested Tints but she was adamant it wouldn't touch it and the suppliers are now closed.
Would it just be best to stick with the 30vol rather than alternate to ensure the most lift?

Low and slow I have been havin amazing results doing this I used loreal infinie platine today with 6% and in half an hour got a white, I've also achieved white with 3% in 40 mins def no need for 40 vol or even 30 vol and the hair feels so much better and a much nicer colour after, I didn't even have to tone today was surprised xx

The only bleach I have left is the Hi Tech one so ill use that with 20vol and 30 on the partin... Really need to go to the wholesalers this week but haven't had much time.
I have a couple of 9's I can always use after as a toner worst case scenario.
I just heard of people using different strength to give different colour effects but wanted to check others opinions before trying it!
Thanks for your advice everyone 😃 x

Highlift will lift to an 8/9, bleach should lift to a 9/10.

Using two strengths of bleach will make no difference what so ever. If she doesn't want tint then it would be bleach highlights - you are the professional not her! I doubt by some miracle tint doesn't take on her hair !

Perhaps a previous stylist used a tint to get to a level 9?

From a 4, depending on your colour house, most tints would struggle to lift that much and you'd need to use 40vol. If you put a 9 straight on, the toner in it would be for toning pale yellow and if it's only lifted to a 7, it obviously won't tone it properly.

Maybe that's why the client said that tints don't work on her hair?

Perhaps a previous stylist used a tint to get to a level 9?

From a 4, depending on your colour house, most tints would struggle to lift that much and you'd need to use 40vol. If you put a 9 straight on, the toner in it would be for toning pale yellow and if it's only lifted to a 7, it obviously won't tone it properly.

Maybe that's why the client said that tints don't work on her hair?

Huh?

A highlift could lift up to 4-5 levels so thinking to get multi depths I would combine that with a bleach. Two strength bleaches isn't going to give the desired result, if the client wants two colour it would be a tint and a bleach. If she doesn't want tint then it would just be bleach. There's not really any way round it.

Anyway base 4 with that blonde isn't really something I'd do, I don't think would suit someone that dark - levels 6&8 would look much better.

Base 4 to a lv 10ish I would use 30v even on the parting/frame but starting from a few inches mid back below crown to behind ear then mix fresh batch for frame/top & crown @ 30v & do back-nape with 40v as hair is darker & stronger/healthier for better match of 30v areas.

You can always towel h2O off any foils with the 30v application if they process a little quicker on the finer T-zone hair which is alot better than having some lv 10 ends with a foot of dark gold retouch & some foils that match ends for toning inbetween!.....the even foils lifted will tone nice & the ends of the dark gold foils will grab the toner making the possibility of the darker gold foils look odd with nicely toned ends through the entire hair.Lv 4 natural has a strong underlying pigment of red to pass then orange/copper to pass first to get a light gold/yellow underlying to get a decent lv9-10 base. I do not think 20v is strong enough to get 5-6 levels of lift needed to make pre lifted ends blend proper.

I don't really understand the debate. The client wants bleached highlights. You have cheap bleach that'll need 30 vol to lift. Why muddy the waters? Use the bleach and 30.
If you must flood to even things up, every third foil is more than enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back