Bleach or Colour?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kate

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have been looking at the forum for a couple of weeks now and it has really been a great help for me with some of the problems I've got with colouring. Thanks everyone! I've done my Level 2 at college last year and am finishing Level 3 in Juli. I'm in a salon part time. The problem is my boss is on holiday next week and I've got a new client who wants highlights. She has grey hair (I know there is no such thing as grey hair but it looks a darkish grey) with some light blonde hightlights that are growing out. I am panicking a bit cause there is no one to help me if things go wrong. If I use bleach it might go too brassy, so I thought of using half 99/0 and half 10/17, but what would happen if the colour touches the existing hightlighted bits? It might go grey... Could I sort that out with a bleach bath? Is base 9 and 10 going to be light enough? Am I making a mountain out of a molehill??
Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks kate

Hiya honey.

Firstly, don't panic!!! How dark is she naturally? What colour does she want to be? What colour are the existing highlights?

Sit her down and have a thorough consultation. I usually advise clients to bring in a picture if you are not sure what they are looking for. There are many different shades of "blonde" so its help me a lot to have a picture!!!

I would say if she wants it pretty light, then put some bleach in. I don't think it would go that brassy, depending on how dark her natural shade is.

And I don't think the 10/17 in your mix will make the ends grey, depending on how lightened and damaged they are.

I'm sorry, I'm not much help but if you give me a bit more info I should be able to help a bit more xxx

Hi Kim!
I only saw her briefly when she booked the appointment but her natural hair is probably a base of 6 or 7 (pretty ashy looking). her old hightlights looked a really nice shade of light blonde (12ish), not brassy at all. I presume thats what she is expecting from me...
thanks ever so much, love kate

if she is a 6 or 7, i would say bleach, or a highlift tint. I think you'll get brassy if you use a 9 or 10, esp if there is a lot of natural dark.

Depending on how light shes looking for, I would maybe do a bleach and 6%, and maybe a nice 8/1 to break it up a bit? I'm not sure, but bleach won't look brassy on it. I'd know better if I saw a picture, its difficult to do it over the internet!!! x

Hi Kim,
thats great! I,ll suggest it to her. like the idea of two different blondes. I presume it'll lift quite easily really cause of the existing highlights.
kate xx

If the hair is darkish grey she was prob a five or six base naturally. I would firstly ask her what she would like!
If she wants a soft blonde I would use a high lift tint in a beige or ash tone alternated with bleach and 20 vol.

thanks so much! Might take a picture if she'll let me and post it after to show you the result (only if it goes well, though). kate xx

You'll be fine, so long as you do a thorough consultation with her. :) xxx

Be great to see a before/after. Let us know how it goes. x

Latest posts

Back