Bleaching & colouring when client is pregnant?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nimue

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am a beauty therapist who rents a room in hair salon and have found out that I am pregnant.
I am eight weeks at the moment but didn't want to tell my salon until I'm 12 weeks and have had my scan. The problem is that I am booked in to have my hair coloured with her next week. I usually have bleached sections with a blue on and just a brown tint all over the roots. What I need to know is (not being a hairdresser myself) does she need to know I am pregnant to colour my hair? Will this information affect the colours she uses etc?
If it isn't going to change how she treats my hair then I wasnt going to say anything and leave it till the 12 weeks. I thought it would be better to ask you guys and see what you thought?
Your advice is much appreciated!

Nimue x

You are not supposed to have any hair colouring treatments until at least the first trimester of your pregnancy is over due to the chemicals etc involved :)

I think it's fine if it's not touching your scalp. Can't you switch to getting foils done or something?
I've had pregnant clients who got their hair foiled instead when they're pregnant, and their doctor said it was okay.

I never colour my clients hair in the first trimester. I did once unknown to me she was 6 weeks and the root didn't lift.
Plus why would you want to hide the fact your pregnant to you stylist? She's dealing with some real harsh chemicals here.

I never colour my clients hair in the first trimester. I did once unknown to me she was 6 weeks and the root didn't lift.
Plus why would you want to hide the fact your pregnant to you stylist? She's dealing with some real harsh chemicals here.
Not to put a dapener on things but 8 weeks is still very early from my previous experiences I would be waiting until I really had to before telling someone!

Probably op is waiting till after her 12 scan to check everything is okay

Would you consider postponing your colour appointment for a few weeks?
I would recommend to my clients to wait until after the first trimester for any chemical services.
You don't have to tell her why but if you re-book a date in about 6 weeks time, she probably won't think too much of it.

Latest posts

Back