Book-keeping question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hippy-chick

Reaction score
Do you need to keep a record of every treatment that you do for tax purposes or just a total at the end of the month?

also, how do you keep note of this?

Any advice appreciated.

I have just been on the inland revenue courses and they told me you can do it which ever way you like as long as its a true record.
I am going to do it daily as i dont have that many clients, when i do i might do it weekly.

I have a huge A4 diary which I keep a record of treatments and outgoings. At the end of the month I transfer this record onto an excel spreadsheet.

Hi hippy chick, the inland revenu just wants you income and expenditure monthly and if you want to record a weekly or fortnightly transaction it's up to you and how busy you are, hope this is helpful :)

thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate every one of them.
I was concerned that I wasnt keeping old appointment sheets as proof of appointments.

Actually i think you are supposed to be able to back up your sales figure with actual appointments or copies of receipts. I don't think the taxman is likely to ask for them but i was always advised to keep old appointment books for at least 3 years so that they could ensure the sales/revenue figures were reasonable.

If you haven't kept them so far i would recommend keeping them from now on anyway.

Hi,

If you go on the businesslink.gov.uk website under "Taxes, returns & Payroll" there is lots of information you can use to help with your accounts.

Hope that helps

x

You do need to have proof of where your daily/weekly takings have come from.

If you don't have a proper till register then you need to keep appointment books to shown your income.

Can't remember how long you need to keep your appointment books for though.

I use a duplicate pad, which is numbered. It has blank sheets and I just fill in a name & service provided & amount. Then, eventually, I tranfer all this into a huge red very wide book.
It has columns in it, which I put in my income (Clients individually monthly) the all the other colums are things like...

Petrol/garage repairs/mot/servicing etc
Stock - cover everything including cleaning products
Equipment
Clothing
Insurances
Advertising/Promotions
Printing/Stationery
Miscellaneous - client drinks/xmas cards etc
Wages (inc to myself)
Education/courses

This is just a selection of the things I have, in no particular order.

Basically, after I've filled this in, add each column up at bottom of page and transfer to top of next page etc.

HTH's xxx

I'm keeping an exact filing system on outgoings on excel, but this is the first year that I have really done it all myself without many outside companies booking me iykwim.

i keep my diaries and the receipt book and then enter it onto a spread sheet to work out my tax. :hug:

if i was you i write them down for your sake!!!

That means next year you can see what not popula and do offers on them treatments :)

I am going on the follow up course at the inland revenue today, i will ask and confirm what they sat this evening for you all. x

You have to keep a copy of all receipts, appointment books, bank statements, invoices, etc etc for 6 years as the tax man can call at any time asking to look over your accounts from any of the previous 6 years as a type of audit.

My accountant told me that in the event of an inspection by the tax man you have to be able to show everything in detail with a cash businesses, so to keep proof of all my appointments which should then match with your income to show that you're not pocketing money willy-nilly.

Hi all i checked with the inland revenue today on the course and they told me you dont have to give every client a receipt. With myself being mobile she told me it is easier if you keep a record of every treatment on a spreadsheet when you start up and then it should match your appointment book.diary. If you had a shop you would have to keep till rolls and these should also match up to your appointment book. When mobile when (if) i get really busy i could just clump it to daily. HTH

Latest posts

Back