Booking holidays - cancelling clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emily S

Cheap ain't nice and nice ain't cheap <3
Reaction score
How far in advance do you take appointments?

What do you do about booking your own holidays?

I have been looking to go on holiday in August, so, approx 4 months away but have appointments each week, only the odd few but there's going to be a rearrangement /cancellation whichever way I do it.

I am trying to think for future a way around this but without extremely limiting my options of good dates, times, countries to fly to that fit in around set dates, how do you go about this with your clients?

In this event, the best deal came up over a period where I had some wedding tans booked from April last year, 16 months in advance.. Fortunately I did write in the booking that if any issues arose with it being so far in advance then I would be in touch.

I have organised for another lady to do the tans but the client is saying 'what if I don't like it?' Surely 4 months is enough time for her to get some practice tans in with other people? I have even offered to leave some of the spray that I use to ensure it's only the application that's different.

She's not a regular client, I've not actually seen her in the past year since she booked it so I'm not too bothered of the loss but I wondered how other people handle these situations?

You need a holiday. You are entitled to holidays the same as any worker.
You are being perfectly reasonable giving 4 months notice. You are being beyond reasonable organising another therapist to do her tan. She has plenty time to try out this new therapist or any other tan. If she makes a fuss she is unreasonable.
The fact that she isn't even a regular or loyal client would make her completely unreasonable if she makes a fuss.

She's loyal just not regular, I don't think she does much to need tans for nowadays, thanks for the reassurance, there was 8 of them having the spray but obviously I know the bride being right is more important and probably all she's concerned about however, like you say I'm entitled to go away when I wish but thought I'd see if I was unreasonable with her booking so far in advance :)

8 clients is a large booking and if she is loyal then I see why you have some qualms about this.
However 4 months notice is more than enough for her to try out and book elsewhere. Yes you could pick up 7 other clients, but you need to balance that with how much you will need a holiday come August!

As for any other clients, I would start telling them about your holiday from the minute you book it. Although it makes no difference as they will keep asking "how long until your holiday?" As you go on and you answer, 6 weeks, 5 weeks etc. the minute you answer NEXT week...they will be surprised "Really? Oh I didn't know it was so soon!"

Totally agree with Izzidoll. I have fairly recently booked my holiday, but had the dates pencilled in well in advance as I have to coordinate with 2 grown up daughters, husband and dogs. We had landed on the date, we then had to find the holiday!!!

I wouldn't hesitate to cancel - especially the infrequent tan client. I often think these people think we're just twiddling our thumbs waiting for them to come!

Vic x

8 clients is a large booking and if she is loyal then I see why you have some qualms about this.
However 4 months notice is more than enough for her to try out and book elsewhere. Yes you could pick up 7 other clients, but you need to balance that with how much you will need a holiday come August!

As for any other clients, I would start telling them about your holiday from the minute you book it.
The 7 others are family members who I have tanned previously (for occasions), they're all mobile clients, all of which I don't see as I don't do mobile work any more and haven't done for around 9 months - at the time of this booking I was still mobile so thought due to it being a few of them I'd still honour which in hind sight I actually shouldn't have agreed to so I wouldn't be in this situation now lol :)

I don't feel like I'm missing out on potential work, otherwise, that in itself would probably sway me not to go during that week but it literally would be a one off booking and more than likely not see any of them again as in future I wouldn't be honouring the mobile work.

Squidgernetball, I would have had it pencilled in but it really is a last minute plan. I'm away in June for a week as our 'family' holiday but my partner has just announced he'll be away for 4 weeks during the Summer school holiday so I'm booking for me and lil lad to do something so that it's one less week to find childcare... and who doesn't want a bit of sun ey!! :D

I've realised IF she's ever to be funny about it or bad mouth me then I know I've been more than reasonable - I'm going to give her a measurement of tan to use for her own tan, just to ease my own conscience and have done with it...

Thanks for the replies. :)

The other thing that grinds me is that the other way around, clients don't think twice about cancelling us!! :o

I wish I could be less 'bothered' about upsetting people, only the 2nd cancellation I've had to make in 5/6 years and I still blooming worry :(

The other thing that grinds me is that the other way around, clients don't think twice about cancelling us!! :o

I wish I could be less 'bothered' about upsetting people, only the 2nd cancellation I've had to make in 5/6 years and I still blooming worry :(
Stop worrying, do the deed and have a fab break x

I only book 3 months in advance. I still managed to mess up with this!
A bride wanted to book for September and I said so far I have nothing on in September it should be fine but I can't book yet anyway she contacted me the other day in May and I'd already booked my Butlins holiday right on that weekend. She was not happy! I messed up.

I only book 3 months in advance. I still managed to mess up with this!
A bride wanted to book for September and I said so far I have nothing on in September it should be fine but I can't book yet anyway she contacted me the other day in May and I'd already booked my Butlins holiday right on that weekend. She was not happy! I messed up.
I think we always feel guilt regardless of whether we've already booked the holiday or not, I did however check with one very loyal, very regular client what date her wedding was as I definitely didn't want it to clash with her's so I guess it's all dependent on each client and how much they mean /have meant to your business... :)

You deserve a holiday, just like any other worker does. You have what you can with the tan appt lady so don't stress about it any further.

I am very lucky and have a fellow tech who works in my area and does good quality work that I myself would be happy to wear so we decided to help other out for times when either of us need holidays. We did a formal/legal agreement (both our lawyers checked that it was all legit and neither of us could get burned) to keep each side safe from either of us stealing clients.
So when either of us need to go away, the other tech takes over the clients for that time and so far, it has worked out great.
All out clients are happy with our arrangement and so far (we have been doing this for nearly 3 years now) our clients have been loyal to their own regular tech.
I am very grateful for this agreement because my parents live in Tasmania (Australia) and I live in Brisbane (Australia) and we are a very long way from each other, my mother is terminally ill so I need to travel down to her at least a few times per year and it takes a huge weight off my shoulders knowing my clients are taken care of while I'm gone.
I only just returned from being down with my parents for 3 weeks and I have come back to being very busy and over booked but at least I have come back to loyal clients V's no clients.
The other tech is going away next month for 2 weeks and I will take over all her clients that will need appt's in that time, then I'm away again because I'm going back to Tassie in Oct and she will do her part again.
We do try and give each other as much notice as possible (and the clients too) and we can usually work it that some clients will last until we return and do not need any appts while either of us are away.

So maybe you could look at doing something like this, fellow techs in your area are not all the "enemy" it does pay off in a good way sometimes to get to know your opposition and if all can work well, it can benefit both sides like in my situation.

Latest posts

Back