Bookkeeping for your salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roseblanc

Reaction score
I'm trying to find a very inexpensive (or free) computer software that I can use for bookkeeping for my salon. I just want something simple that keeps track of my customers, my income and expenses. All the free and trail version software that I've tried (QuickBooks, Free-Accounting, etc) are very complicated and not really meant for retail accounting (in my opinio). I'm wondering what programs do you guys use (if any) that help you keep track of this kind of information.

Thanks in advance!

What would you need a system to do? At a minimum, I'm guessing record details of all client transactions (including both treatments and purchases of products, plus tips, etc), also maintain details of purchases of stock, etc, plus expenses like rent, electric, water, phone, etc? Anything else?

What do you think makes Quickbooks over-complicated?

Hi Melissa,

Accounting, what a process!!! but oh so necessary, it gives you direction for growth and keeps the tax man happy - lol

I simply use a spreedsheet.

I have one for a database for clientelle, with details in separate columns, ie
(1) first name (2) surname (3) address
the benefit of this is you can sort your database anyway you choose.

For income and expenses I have another spreadsheet that I import directly from my internet banking my banking transactions. You then have two columns - income and expenditure on your spreadsheet. With the expenditure I then copy and pace the value into an appropriate column heading ie rent, wages, eftpos, stock. At the end of the month I total all columns and do a reconciliation, close off this page and start a new month.

This works for me and cost me nothing - the graphs from the spreadsheet data are also a great visual to see our income vs our expenses and where the expenses are being made.

The data you collect is so vital to the success of your business it helps you to "plan your work and work your plan"

Andrea
:)

I do mine similar to above....keep a copy on a mem stick & also keep salon accounts book/paper back up ...

Latest posts

Back