Bookkeeping - please help!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcpunter

Reaction score
hey guys i need abit of help, im a bit stuck when it comes to book keeping, i cant have my recepits piling up with out managing and sorting it out and keeping records etc etc so does anyone know where i can get a good bookkeeping software for my computer or is there any online bookeeping that i can register for i would really appreciate the help cos my mind is going all fuzzy on what to do

luv marc xxx

Hi Marc

How about creating a simple spreadsheet using Excel and then filing your receipts once you have inputted the data.

Hope this helps

Gina

well im rubbish at things like that...i need something where i can just fill in the info with out designing spreadsheets and stuff
x

try quick books that is nice and simple and user friendly
x

:cool:
marcpunter said:
hey guys i need abit of help, im a bit stuck when it comes to book keeping, i cant have my recepits piling up with out managing and sorting it out and keeping records etc etc so does anyone know where i can get a good bookkeeping software for my computer or is there any online bookeeping that i can register for i would really appreciate the help cos my mind is going all fuzzy on what to do

luv marc xxx
Dear Marc how big is your salon/business,i have got a very small hairdressing and nail salon,for starters you must get your self a good accountant mine charges ma £38 per month I made the mistake of opening a business account with the bank!open a seperate one but not a business the minute they know you are in the salon they will sting you ,I got free banking for 2 years,however they expect small business to go under in the first 2 years!yuo must keep all your receipts!I know this is boring ,but your accountant will need to offset the start up costs ,I have a credit card just for the salon every thing goes on that,I have a debit card for a small amount,and an overdraft all seperate from the usual money,pay your self a wage its a must the tax man will want to see you doing this,put all your receipts in an envelope and you must get an accountbook for every day costs
make alist of all the outgoings for the month,rent,phone mobile council tax,nico,elec,stock t,sundries tea coffee sugar milk i usually lump all that in one once a month ,clothes allowance,and petrol,
get a credit card machine it will cost you money ,put an extra pound that ,clients will not notice the extra.in your accounts book you want a column for the name of client,cash in cash out.bank in ,bank out totals and do your books every day it will save you the headache at the end of the week/month also pay every thing you can with cash this saves you charges,and do all your banking on the internet it saves a lot of money also most people do not notice how much they spend on the cards however I always quote for the service
hope this helps if you want to talk more you can ring me at work Diana Williamson The Nail and Hair corridor 01932 348855 open Tues/Wed Fri/sat good luck !!! Dianax

Marc I can't help on the software as I designed my own spreadsheet, but it would be worth you going on the inland revenue courses for start up small busineses. They explain how to handle your accounts for tax purposes - what you can and can't claim for, what forms you need to complete etc - and they're free. I am self employed and up until now employ one member of staff, I haven't needed an accountant as the IR courses showed me how to do the paperwork for it all and I have had the time to do it all myself.

I agree about the business banking. My small business advisor advised me to pay as much as possible into my personal account and then transfer it to my business account online as it's free!

Shop around for a credit card machine - I was quoted from 4.73% to 2.7% per transaction, so don't think you have to go with your own banks one!

And keep them up to date regularly, it's a daunting task when you have piles of receipts to sort through.

I use Quickbooks - it keeps track of all my stock, Payroll if you need, all of my ins and outs - it gives you a balance sheet, a P&L, you can ask how many bottles of solar oil you have sold in the last year to Mrs Bloggs, at Christmas time I can print off my top 10 clients for pressies etc. etc. I tried a few and this was the best one for me.

naturalnails said:
I use Quickbooks - it keeps track of all my stock, Payroll if you need, all of my ins and outs - it gives you a balance sheet, a P&L, you can ask how many bottles of solar oil you have sold in the last year to Mrs Bloggs, at Christmas time I can print off my top 10 clients for pressies etc. etc. I tried a few and this was the best one for me.
What is Quick books?
and where do you get it?
XXX

If you go to www.intuit.co.uk or check out ebay but be very careful there and be sure what you are getting for your money.

My version is version 8 and is about 5 years old.

I think the new basic one is called Quickstart.

marcpunter said:

luv marc xxx
dont go with an online software,they cost too much and can be hard to understand, have you got excel, you can use excel and you only need a couple of spreads sheets cash book with your incomings and outgoings and one for your stock

Elaine

Latest posts

Back