Booth rental question, opinions please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moushax37

Reaction score
This may be long, but I will try to make it as short as possible.
The last week of December I got back into the industry and hopped right into booth renting with no clientelle. So, far it is fine, I am at least making my booth rent which was my starting goal. I have another full time job in retail so I can pay the bills incase I have an extra slow week.
Here is a list of my concerns:
#1 The owner of the salon I am working at wants me to only do acrylic after 7p.m. or on Sundas when nobody is there because the clients and the stylists cant handle the smell. This is all well and dancy, but I work retail like I said, so a lot of my shifts are either from 5:30-2:00pm or 1-930pm. If im off at 2 and can only book one or 2 clients and they just happen to want acrylics, it is exremely hard on me to wait until after 7, and not to mention i am still quite slow because I am a tad out of practice so I could really only fit ONE of those 2 clients in.
#2 Problem. The lighting is HORRIBLE. She has said shes going to work on the lighting but in the 6 weeks ive been there, so far nothing. This to me should be a priority if she is expecting me to work in the evenings.
#3 She doesnt have a real pedicure spa chair. This is again, all fine and dandy, except its nearly inmpossible to schedule pedicures back to back because the spa that she did get, I have to drag a hose over to the bowl to fill it and attach another hose to drain it into the wall behind the chair. To me this looks INCREDIBLY unprofessional and I would prefer not to do it in front of clients.

I went into a salon behind my house last night (location=awesome already)
First of all, it is 3 sisters who just got out of beauty school in May of 2011. They had the finances to open their own salon right away so they have technically been open since November. Since I live right there I drive by everyday and have noticed them bring out tents and really try to promote their salon. The current owner at the salon im at right now is already very well established so marketing is all on me, which ive been successful at so far but the extra boost from a new business is sort of exciting.
My problem here though is, since they are fresh out of cosmo school, I have no idea what their skills are like... of theyre even good at doing hair.... They go to a lot of educational shows in Vegas (we are n Colorado) so they definitely sound like they are very willing to learn and everything. Since this is a new business for them without coming into it with clientelle I also wonder how long they will be staying in business......

Aagh, im so sorry this is so long. I just am in SUCH a dilemma right now.'

Now my last concern is $$$> In my current salon, I am part time. The minimum booth rental is $75 ($25 per day). This is fine as I have been working at least 3 days there, but lately I have actually been working 5. This being said, 2 days ill be booked with several clients. the other 3 days I may only have 1 clients so im in and out. Reason? I have another job... so now she is wanting to charge me for an entire day if I come in for just one clients... which is basically ne working for free because a lot of my services are in the $20-$25 range right now.
The new place is willing to do strictly $25 pr day so if I happen to have a sow week, I can try to squeeze all my clients into one day and im only out $25 for rent.

Any opinions would be so so so helpful and I very much appreciate it to anyone who has taken the time to read this!!!

Latest posts

Back