Born Before 1986?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachel_1984

Reaction score
According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 60's, 70's and early 80's probably shouldn't have survived, because our baby cots were covered with brightly coloured lead-based paint which was promptly chewed and licked.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, or latches on doors or cabinets and it was fine to play with pans.

When we rode our bikes, we wore no helmets, just flip-flops (or wooden Scholls) and fluorescent 'spokey dokey's' on our wheels.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or airbags - riding in the passenger seat was a treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle and it tasted the same. We ate chips, bread and butter pudding and drank fizzy juice with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.

We shared one drink with four friends, from one bottle or can and no-one actually died from this.

We would spend hours building go-carts out of scraps and then went top speed down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into stinging nettles a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and could play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us and no one minded.

We did not have Play stations or X-Boxes, no video games at all. No 999 channels on TV, no videotape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no personal computers, no DVDs, no Internet chat rooms.

We had friends - we went outside and found them.

We played elastics and rounders, and sometimes that ball really hurt! We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones but there were no law suits.

We had full on fist fights but no prosecution followed from other parents.

We played chap-the-door-run-away and were actually afraid of the owners catching us.

We walked to friends' homes. We also, believe it or not, WALKED to school; we didn't rely on mummy or daddy to drive us to school, which was just round the corner.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls.

We rode bikes in packs of 7 and wore our coats by only the hood.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law.

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever. The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all. And you're one of them. :D

Its amazing to read that cause I have three kids now and you cant do any of that today. God if my kids ( though my eldest is onlyh 5) didnt come back till dark, I would be a bloody cot case.
Times change hey
xxx

rachel_1984 said:
According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 60's, 70's and early 80's probably shouldn't have survived, because our baby cots were covered with brightly coloured lead-based paint which was promptly chewed and licked.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, or latches on doors or cabinets and it was fine to play with pans.

When we rode our bikes, we wore no helmets, just flip-flops (or wooden Scholls) and fluorescent 'spokey dokey's' on our wheels.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or airbags - riding in the passenger seat was a treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle and it tasted the same. We ate chips, bread and butter pudding and drank fizzy juice with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.

We shared one drink with four friends, from one bottle or can and no-one actually died from this.

We would spend hours building go-carts out of scraps and then went top speed down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into stinging nettles a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and could play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us and no one minded.

We did not have Play stations or X-Boxes, no video games at all. No 999 channels on TV, no videotape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no personal computers, no DVDs, no Internet chat rooms.

We played elastics and rounders, and sometimes that ball really hurt! We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones but there were no law suits.

We played chap-the-door-run-away and were actually afraid of the owners catching us.

We walked to friends' homes. We also, believe it or not, WALKED to school; we didn't rely on mummy or daddy to drive us to school, which was just round the corner.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law.

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever. The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all. And you're one of them. :D

Awww that's really taken me back to my childhood and refreshed my memory!
Mind you - you don't see as many kids with their arm in plaster like you used to. PLUS there was a strange man who lived near us and was always inviting kids into his house, no-one knew that kind of person really existed then and for years nobody knew exactly what he was up to. So maybe some things are for the better now.

Those were the days Freedom and no worries!

Yeah but nobody will take us seriously now because of the platform heels, flares, puffball skirts, legwarmers, punkyness, cliff richard ect. :lol: Sometimes it doesnt pay to have all that damn freedom. yes we survived it but look what we did to ourselves....:Grope:

aww rachel thats so true, it was exactly what my childhood was like

rachel_1984 said:

aahhh! The good old days, how I miss them, it brings a tear to my eye.

I remember I had a pair of wooden clogs that I loved sooo dearly :Love:, even tho I nearly broke my neck on them a thousand times! they certainly didn't have the kite mark!!

and my mum remembers when she (and anyone else's mum for that matter!) could give me a clout round the ear for being cheeky without fear of a neighbour tutting and reaching for the phone.:lol:

sprinkles said:
aahhh! The good old days, how I miss them, it brings a tear to my eye.

I remember I had a pair of wooden clogs that I loved sooo dearly :Love:, even tho I nearly broke my neck on them a thousand times! they certainly didn't have the kite mark!!

and my mum remembers when she (and anyone else's mum for that matter!) could give me a clout round the ear for being cheeky without fear of a neighbour tutting and reaching for the phone.:lol:
those red scholls used to wear them till the rubber tread wore off...then you used to nearly break your neck skidding every wear....and kilts atached to underskirt vests with your jumper over the top....niceeeeee

*JOANNE* said:
those red scholls used to wear them till the rubber tread wore off...then you used to nearly break your neck skidding every wear....and kilts atached to underskirt vests with your jumper over the top....niceeeeee

PMSL, I'd forgotten about the attached top and kilt!!!! :lol: :lol:

the first twelve years of my life summed up in that one post, those were the days. Do you remember thoses balls on strings (I think they were called clackers, my dad brought home a job lot of them one day and every kid on our block got one) proberly be banned by the eu today.

*JOANNE* said:
OH MY GOD! I'd forgotten about them it's funny everyone always had red scholls. I loved my kilt with the vest attached I had about four of them.

Wow yes that does bring back memories - and when I used to say to my mum that I was bored, she would say "you have so much - I didn't have half of what you have....... tv for example" I can remember the day we got our first colour tv and all the neighbours came round to see the "colour" I thought it was the bees knees and when I got my first eletronic game I thought it was amazing - 2 staight lines (bats) knocking a dot (ping pong ball) to and fro across the tv screen!!!

what about...british bulldog..1.2.3 think it got banned in schools too

clackers they were really dangerous the amount of times my sister done me in the face or the head with the stupid hings is no ones business brutal litle mare she was lol
x

scattyfox said:
clackers they were really dangerous the amount of times my sister done me in the face or the head with the stupid hings is no ones business brutal litle mare she was lol
x

I was champion at clackers, mine were pink and my mum used to hide them in the top cupboard.
Also remember knuckles? were you played cards and everyone used to whack each others knuckles with the pack of cards to see who got the best bruises!! We used to play this with our science teacher! imagine if that happened now, the teacher would be put in prison!

i do have to stick up for my generation and say that when my sisters were younger for example there weren't as many pressures. these days theres alot of bad ppl about they have got worse with the advancement in technology phones internet chatrooms etc today schools have exams every other month or so, these days there is a hell of a lot of peer pressure and bullying, which results in ppl taking their life or comfort eating resulting in obese children some r lazy but some are just unhappy there is pressure to be skinny hence the rise in anorexia and pressure to have sex hence pregnant 13 year olds. there are alot of yobs which intimidate ppl young and old, these yobs are like this due to the fact that u can no longer discipiline children properly in schools anymore and the parents are restricted also, not alot of young ppl these days can say they had a happy childhood

tink18 said:
i do have to stick up for my generation and say that when my sisters were younger for example there weren't as many pressures. these days theres alot of bad ppl about they have got worse with the advancement in technology phones internet chatrooms etc today schools have exams every other month or so, these days there is a hell of a lot of peer pressure and bullying, which results in ppl taking their life or comfort eating resulting in obese children some r lazy but some are just unhappy there is pressure to be skinny hence the rise in anorexia and pressure to have sex hence pregnant 13 year olds. there are alot of yobs which intimidate ppl young and old, these yobs are like this due to the fact that u can no longer discipiline children properly in schools anymore and the parents are restricted also, not alot of young ppl these days can say they had a happy childhood

I totally agree with you on that

Yeah and imagine having a bike called a CHOPPER these days:lol:

kas67 said:
the first twelve years of my life summed up in that one post, those were the days. Do you remember thoses balls on strings (I think they were called clackers, my dad brought home a job lot of them one day and every kid on our block got one) proberly be banned by the eu today.

Can you remember the ones you put round your ankle and then had to skip over the string with the other leg, i know i havent described them very well but i know what I mean. And them skates where they adjusted size and you tied them on over your shoes lol.

Latest posts

Back