Boss says I'm doing more damage than good?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Getnailed0x

Reaction score
I work in a hair salon. I am a Nail Technician. I am on commission and supply all of my products. I love it and I love all the people who work there. This is the slow season as everyone knows and I am quite honestly tired of all these dang no call/no shows!! It drives me mad.. to the point of where I don't want to take them as a client at all when they do show up. So, I have decided to take deposits on all no call/shows. I'm sure everyone is familiar with the deposit policy.. you put down "X" amount of money and it goes towards your service. If it's over the amount of your service you are "credited" and you don't have to make another deposit. It's non refundable if you are a complete no call/no show. If someone has a legitimate excuse of course I will not charge and if you call within 24 to 4 hours of your appointment I will refund the money. I have made this post on my Facebook page, explaining this and how I take my business and time seriously. I explained how we work and earn on what we do, and not get paid hourly like they do. I said I wasn't calling anyone out in general (even though i already have a list of names lol) and that people needed to be aware that time is money and if I don't get a good notice in advance it's rude to me and inconsiderate to others. I posted my hours available this week and then reminded of the No call/No call policy. My boss contacts me to let me know that he thinks I'm being really negative and even though he knows the situation he still thinks I'm going to throw people off and they won't make appointments at all. He understands and isn't trying to tell me what to do or make me upset by telling me. I knew it was going to throw some people off and I honestly did it as a "scare tactic" to weed out all of those people before they even called. I know you can't be nice and let things slide and look over things all the time and let you business flourish. So, what are your opinions?

Deposits will put people off.

Personally, I send text message reminders to try and limit no shows, but it's part if the industry I feel.

You have to do what's best for you, but in these uncertain times I'd think twice before alienating potential clients.

Jemima :)

Deposits can alienate people, but if your client base are terrors then it may be necessary to introduce this to protect your business.

I would not be shouting about taking deposits on your FB page though. It may seem negative and tarnish your service, and it may make customers question "why are people cancelling, or not turning up? Is her service any good" or put off new customers completly if they read it without the good intention it was written in.

I would do as you have which is to discretely mention somewhere within your on line gumpf that you have a cancellation policy and may take a non refundable deposit towards certain treatments.

When you actually receive a booking you can politely ask for a deposit. I find genuine customers rarely have a problem with paying a deposit if it is requested politely, confidently and professionally.

:D

I wouldn't entertain anywhere that had a deposit system for a set of nails. Your no shows are not my problem, (not personal) I shouldn't have to make an extra effort by providing a non refundable deposit on booking.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

i wouldn't have a problem giving a deposit as i know hairdressers/ beauty industry people sometimes work self employed and have people no shows and it can effect your wages but like the others said don't go on about it everywhere as it can sometimes give the opposite effect and have clients wondering why so much talk on it on your fb page. i would take it down and whenever anyone books just say you require a deposit to secure their place as your very popular and your time gets booked up quickly. that way they'll think oh she must be good quick give her a deposit so i don't miss out

Are you taking deposits from everyone or just the people who haven't showed up before? I agree with the others if it's every customer it will be off putting, but if it's just to a client who has done it before or regularly doesn't show up I totally understand and agree it's a good idea for them.

If your boss is paying you commission only then I feel that you have every right to try and protect your income from time wasters.

I fully support your actions considering how easy it is for a client to phone you to say they can't make it to an appointment.

I'd feel slightly uncomfortable reading about how you're paid and how you're losing money from no shows. I think it's too much information (just my opinion).

Thank you all for the replies. To clarify some things. I am not taking deposits from everyone. It is only for no call/no show people. I write beside their names in my book when they are a complete no show. I send a text as a reminder and if I get no response I leave it as that. I wait for their time and if they aren't there by 15 after I send another asking if everything is okay and if they need to reschedule. If I hear nothing I try to fill the spot as quickly as I can without going over the time allotted and mark by their name. Obviously if something major has happened I'm not going to charge it. I'm not that money hungry or heartless. I have issues with people ignoring the first text. Then on the day of I send another and then 30 mins later I get one back or a call wanting to reschedule so I do and then they are a no show again. Yes I am commission only and supply all my products. So therefore I do feel I need to protect what money I am bringing in after product and commission costs. A lot of people unless they are in this industry don't know how most of is work for commission or by what we do. They think it's hourly like they are. That's why I tried to explain it and for them to be in my situation. All of my loyal clients actually spoke how they think it is appropriate and support it. Some of my hairstylist friends are thinking about it now since I took the "initiative" and put the policy in place. I took the other post down. So we will see how it goes.

I understand the deposit system on no shows only and this is good. Apologies I read it that you meant everyone.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Um. I'd be pretty put off booking with that spiel to be honest.

I appreciate that you're doing this to ward off any potential time wasters, however, you may well be putting off people who are not as they may see this as a bit aggressive.

I considered taking deposits and found people cancelling last minute on big appointments like lashes so wish I'd planned for that. However, I felt it was more off putting to ask the client upfront for this and to then take it. They would be miffed with me and not book back again. Plus I do a lot of groups of friends so if you pee one off you lose the lot. Grr.

I have a cancellations policy on my website and price list but to be honest I never enforce it.

I read here about a no show policy another geek has whereby I think 2 no shows and you ask them to book their appointments on the actual day they need in so not in advance.

Again putting it nicely: " I've noticed you've missed a couple of appointments there so would it be easier for you to maybe call on the day you need your waxing done and we can try and fit you in?". All the while,you are screaming at them on the inside :D

Ps love how you text a reminder before appointments. Good idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See I think this should be enforced more...In America and Australia you cant get appointments in most places without leaving a deposit.
I'm not talking loads like £10, and then if u turn up it just rolls over for your next service or it gets taken off the price of service. X Just my opinion x

Sent from my GT-N7105 using SalonGeek mobile app

See I think this should be enforced more...In America and Australia you cant get appointments in most places without leaving a deposit.
I'm not talking loads like £10, and then if u turn up it just rolls over for your next service or it gets taken off the price of service. X Just my opinion x

Sent from my GT-N7105 using SalonGeek mobile app

Unfortunately it's just the way it goes over here. I would never book anywhere I pay a deposit.

Unfortunately it's just the way it goes over here. I would never book anywhere I pay a deposit.

I wouldn't either! Gosh no I would run screaming in the other direction from a deposit for anything be it food, beauty, hair!! I can maybe understand hair extensionists getting a deposit if they have to order in hair but that's it!

I wouldn't either! Gosh no I would run screaming in the other direction from a deposit for anything be it food, beauty, hair!! I can maybe understand hair extensionists getting a deposit if they have to order in hair but that's it!

Like you say if it's something being ordered for you I think you can appreciate a deposit. When we do a big sign job we take a deposit because the amount of material that's ordered in just for the job can be a hell of a lot.

Anything negative like that should never really be posted on Facebook. Facebook is a place for clients to interact with your business not to reprimanded. I would be really put off if I read such thing on a business page that I used. Not trying to be harsh, just my opinion. I think deposits for your no shows is potentially necessary but just put a polite notice up within your business :)

Latest posts

Back