Botox question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissLease

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

Just wanted a quick question clearing up!! I went and had botox for the first time 3 days ago. I did my research and believed I had chosen a good profession doctor. But I have left feeling a little bit let down.

I was obviously feeling quite anxious about the treatment, and expected a thorough consultation to put my mind at ease. When I entered the treatment room I noticed that the bed still had ripped couch roll on from the last person and the ladie was already wearing gloves ( had she left these on from the last person?!?) she asked me to get straight up onto the bed and asked what area I wanted doing. I explained I wanted my forehead doing as a preventive for future lines. She then asked if I'd consider filler as I could really use it on my smile lines. I was quite taken aback by this an explained it was just my forehead I was concerned about. She then started to cleanse my forehead and around my eyes before asking me to close my eyes to start injecting!!!! At this point I was left thinking I would of liked a much longer consultation explaining the treatment!!! All she did was show me pictures on her phone of another celebrity she had been doing for 'years'

She then asked me to do a big smile and started cleansing around my eyes again I had to stop her an explain I didn't want my eyes doing!!!!! She then said ' so it's just the two areas then? ' I said no it's just the one - my forehead!!!!! She then said I needed to have in between my eyebrows done or the area would sag. I'd already had my forehead done at this point an didn't want a sagging area!!! So my question is...is this true that you need both areas doing when having treatment for lines on the forehead or has she just ripped me off? I ended up paying ALOT more than I intended to, and wouldn't have had the treatment had I of known this in the first place!!

I then had to go to a cash point to get her the money out, when I came back she was having her nails done an just said to me 'so come back in 3 months, don't put any make up or cream on the area' and that was it!!! No aftercare what so ever!

I'm not a confrontational kind of person, and although I have seen good results so far from the treatment I feel like I've received really bad service from this woman.

If anyone could maybe share there experiences with me, or any doctors on here that could explain why I had 2 areas done and not 1 would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, I'm not trained in Botox I'm speaking from the point of view of having it done, as far as I was aware it needs to be a registered nurse practitioner or doctor that gives the treatment. When I had mine she advised me not to have my forehead done as it can cause the brow to drop, I frown a lot and have a quite deep line between my eyes which was my problem, but I only go twice a year and I'm the wrong end of my thirties!
The spa that I used to use the therapist was a registered nurse but started to let her daughter do it, she has since lost quite a few clients.
When I have it there is always fresh couch roll and the therapist goes through my consultation card with every time to check no changes to medical history etc
I think probably telling you three months could be pushing for business as how long it lasts on each person is different.

Thank you for the reply, on her business card she gave me it says she is a skin dermatologist GP and has 'MBCHB. MRCGP. DFFP. DPDermatology' after her name. I'm not unhappy with the actual result which i suppose is the main thing! Just unhappy with the service i received as it certainly isn't cheap and just feel i would of like to have been told the price before she did the treatment and not afterwards. And also would of liked to have been told exactly why i needed to have the two areas done, as i don't have lines between my eyebrows.

I also assumed that botox got rid of existing lines (the ones that are there when you're not frowning) which was my main reason for having the treatment in the first place, and was only told that it did not half way through the procedure!

I guess it will have to be put down to a bad first time experience, unfortunately. :sad:

Hi this is my bread and butter so to speak. Did you complete a consent form? Did you inform her of any medical conditions?
We're before and after pics taken?
Was a touch up appt 14-21 days arranged with you?

We're you given written or verbal after care advice, what product was used?

These are common issues usually discussed at consultation as well as discussing client expectations and the reality of results.

You do get a better result having both the frontalis (forehead) and glabellar complex (between the brows) treated otherwise new lines can occur each muscle has a push or pull function so it's selecting carefully which ones need treating.

I find first time botox clients are often very nervous and rarely remember everything they have been told hence why I give aftercare leaflets.
You could also give them a call for your other questions to be answered?
My clients are welcome to call me if they have queries etc during working hours.

If yr passionate about your business feedback is welcomed but each to thier own and in any profession you will find good and bad unfortunately . Hope you get the results you want xx

Ps just realised you only had it 3 days ago were you not told it takes 14-21 days to be completely effective? It isn't an instant treatment, although you say you done your research, your questions don't seem to match that.

I always ask first timers what do they know about it? Where is that information from?

From this I can correct misconceptions, expectations and provide professional advice not hearsay.

There is so much information on the Internet these days, I personally would not have a treatment from a site where prices are not available and say based on consultation as I do know some places price based on where clients live, and it's more difficult to say no thanks when your in the seat. My pet hate really is that! The price is the price and again I hate hard sell places that try to get you to spend spend spend.

Hello, thank you for the information.

When i arrived i was given a consent form by her husband :confused: which i filled out and read through. (luckily there was aftercare on this sheet that i read through before i signed.)
When i went into the treatment room i gave this to her, which she then put straight down on the chair next to her without even opening to see if i had signed or as you say have any medical conditions. None of this was gone over with me before the treatment. She asked me what my concerns were but seemed more interested in finding other areas to treat.

I was given verbal aftercare, but i don't really feel telling someone to come back in 3 months and not to wear make up or cream is aftercare?

'You do get a better result having both the frontalis (forehead) and glabellar complex (between the brows) treated otherwise new lines can occur each muscle has a push or pull function so it's selecting carefully which ones need treating.'

This was the answer i wanted to find out most about, you have explained it very clearly and had i have been told this before treatment i would of then been able to make the choice to go ahead with the treatment or not. (with it being quite a lot more money)

I understand that the treatment takes up to 2 weeks to be effective and she did offer me to get in touch with her to book in a top up if i needed it, or to get in touch with her if i had any other questions. (when i inicially inquired about the treatment i was given a set price, i feel if that price was incorrect after i had the consultation and she had found out my concerns i should of been told this before she began)

I just feel like the whole experience has really disappointed me, in that i feel like I've been prodded with a needle paid £xxx and been sent on my way.

I do understand you will have good and bad practitioners, i just hope i will have a better experience if i decide to have this done again.

thank you for your advice:hug: xx

Hello, thank you for the information.

When i arrived i was given a consent form by her husband :confused: which i filled out and read through. (luckily there was aftercare on this sheet that i read through before i signed.)
When i went into the treatment room i gave this to her, which she then put straight down on the chair next to her without even opening to see if i had signed or as you say have any medical conditions. None of this was gone over with me before the treatment. She asked me what my concerns were but seemed more interested in finding other areas to treat.

I was given verbal aftercare, but i don't really feel telling someone to come back in 3 months and not to wear make up or cream is aftercare?

'You do get a better result having both the frontalis (forehead) and glabellar complex (between the brows) treated otherwise new lines can occur each muscle has a push or pull function so it's selecting carefully which ones need treating.'

This was the answer i wanted to find out most about, you have explained it very clearly and had i have been told this before treatment i would of then been able to make the choice to go ahead with the treatment or not. (with it being quite a lot more money)

I understand that the treatment takes up to 2 weeks to be effective and she did offer me to get in touch with her to book in a top up if i needed it, or to get in touch with her if i had any other questions. (when i inicially inquired about the treatment i was given a set price, i feel if that price was incorrect after i had the consultation and she had found out my concerns i should of been told this before she began)

I just feel like the whole experience has really disappointed me, in that i feel like I've been prodded with a needle paid £xxx and been sent on my way.

I do understand you will have good and bad practitioners, i just hope i will have a better experience if i decide to have this done again.

thank you for your advice:hug: xx

I have seen many good but unfortunately many bad practitioners, some can be somewhat blasé. Especially as a first time client/patient for this particular treatment your experience as recounted does not sound good, Chrysalis has given truly excellent feedback and advice, I hope you can either speak to your current provider and discuss your concerns regarding the service you received or if she is not responsive that you find an alternative provider who offers you safe effective treatment, complete reassurance and is a little more deserving of your custom. x

Hi
Every new botox client I always want them back as they don't know if they need a touch up or not I'm looking for not just excessive movement but that there isn't any crinkling and the commonest issue when forehead is done is that it's a fine line to get a lovely eyebrow lift to looking like spok!

It seems a shame that you've had this experience by all means message me if you want further info or advice.

Xx

Hi
Every new botox client I always want them back as they don't know if they need a touch up or not I'm looking for not just excessive movement but that there isn't any crinkling and the commonest issue when forehead is done is that it's a fine line to get a lovely eyebrow lift to looking like spok!

It seems a shame that you've had this experience by all means message me if you want further info or advice.

Xx

Thank you so much for your advice, you've been really helpful. I will definitely get in touch with her to see if i need a top up! Hopefully i can find someone much more professional for next time.

Thanks again! xx

Awe it's so sad to hear you had a bad experience, like said above I ensure that all clients new and old are aware of side effects, aftercare and have thorough medical consultation prior to treatment, this is also done a few days prior to the actual treatment as it then allows you to think of any questions you may want answering, but then also gives you time to consider the treatment and any advice I may have given (the two areas vs one being a good example) therefore you are fully prepared on day of treatment.

I also find it good practice to wash my hands and place gloves on/prepare botulinum toxin Infront of the client - again it puts you at ease knowing everything is clean & prepared accordingly, but then again that's just something I do within my general Nursing practice on a daily basis so wouldn't even think of doing it any other way :)

You should definitely go for a review like the previous SG member (sorry on phone and don't know how to tag you!!) mentioned this is important not only for assessing if top up required but for good aftercare and to ensure you are fully satisfied, we can also spot slight spok eyebrow or areas that need topping up that you may not see!

I don't think she should have suggested other treatments unless you had said "can you do anything for..." I usually get clients to look in a mirror and point out to me where their areas of concern are and then I advise how best to treat those areas!

Hopefully you will get good results from your treatment, and please don't tar us all with the same brush :)

Length of time between treatments varies person to person, on average my clients come to me every 6 months but I do have the odd client who comes every 4 months

Hope this helps, and like the other SG member said, if you want any advice etc then you can always inbox me :)

xx

*other SG member = chrisalys

So sorry it seems so rude how I refer to you in my post but could not scroll up to get your name!! Quite new to posting on here although I do a lot of browsing :) xxx

*other SG member = chrisalys

So sorry it seems so rude how I refer to you in my post but could not scroll up to get your name!! Quite new to posting on here although I do a lot of browsing :) xxx

No problem good to see a fellow botoxer on here :)

This is scary as hell to me! I work in a family business based in brighouse my nan is a registered nurse prescriber she is part of large companies such as aestheticare and surgicare and she is just completing a dermatology degree. Our routine for Botox is, consultation 2-3 days PRIOR to desired treatment date, in the consultation we cover all aspects of the procedure, price, effects and medical background. If they are happy after the consultation we order their individual prescription for the product (WHICH IS LEGISLATION) and give them that time to make sure they are 100% happy in going ahead, my nan is also renowned for turning people away if she thinks they won't benefit from the procedure. It is a prescription product and it should be treat that way. In all honesty you could get that practitioner in a lot of trouble.

This is scary as hell to me! I work in a family business based in brighouse my nan is a registered nurse prescriber she is part of large companies such as aestheticare and surgicare and she is just completing a dermatology degree. Our routine for Botox is, consultation 2-3 days PRIOR to desired treatment date, in the consultation we cover all aspects of the procedure, price, effects and medical background. If they are happy after the consultation we order their individual prescription for the product (WHICH IS LEGISLATION) and give them that time to make sure they are 100% happy in going ahead, my nan is also renowned for turning people away if she thinks they won't benefit from the procedure. It is a prescription product and it should be treat that way. In all honesty you could get that practitioner in a lot of trouble.

Hi that is the rule for nurse prescribers, the rules for doctors is different they can bulk order the botox to dispense as the patient arrives, nurses can't do this.

Hi that is the rule for nurse prescribers, the rules for doctors is different they can bulk order the botox to dispense as the patient arrives, nurses can't do this.

Wow that's ludicrous I didn't know that! Even so we appreciate that time to let them go and think about it.

Thank you ElizabethAlex & Chrysalis for your advice. As a therapist myself i was really shocked with the consultation and aftercare advice i was given (not to mention the gloves & couch roll) Very worrying. But i really appreciate you explaining the way it SHOULD be done! I definitely would never tar you all with the same brush, just so disappointed that i didn't have someone like you lovely ladies to perform the treatment!

I'm going to get in touch with her tomorrow to arrange a review. I'm slightly worried because i know shes not based around where i live so its catching her while shes in my area. Im going away in just over a week, and i do remember reading on the consent form she gave me that it said to avoid harsh sunlight for 2 weeks. Would it be wise to have a top up and then go into the sun? The only other thing is i am slightly concerned that i have spok eyebrows!!! I feel like the area above my eyebrow is slightly raised? Even more so when i raise my eyebrows!!! I'm just hoping i can catch her before i go away to sort this out...then i shall be taking my custom else where!
xx

Also, one last question (sorry to be a pain!) What is the course of treatment if i do have spok eyebrows?!:eek: Can this be rectified with a top up?

thanks again xx

Thank you ElizabethAlex & Chrysalis for your advice. As a therapist myself i was really shocked with the consultation and aftercare advice i was given (not to mention the gloves & couch roll) Very worrying. But i really appreciate you explaining the way it SHOULD be done! I definitely would never tar you all with the same brush, just so disappointed that i didn't have someone like you lovely ladies to perform the treatment!

I'm going to get in touch with her tomorrow to arrange a review. I'm slightly worried because i know shes not based around where i live so its catching her while shes in my area. Im going away in just over a week, and i do remember reading on the consent form she gave me that it said to avoid harsh sunlight for 2 weeks. Would it be wise to have a top up and then go into the sun? The only other thing is i am slightly concerned that i have spok eyebrows!!! I feel like the area above my eyebrow is slightly raised? Even more so when i raise my eyebrows!!! I'm just hoping i can catch her before i go away to sort this out...then i shall be taking my custom else where!
xx

I just think it is very sad that you were unable to discuss all your concerns with your provider and have been left with so many of your questions answered, I feel bad for you. x

Also, one last question (sorry to be a pain!) What is the course of treatment if i do have spok eyebrows?!:eek: Can this be rectified with a top up?

thanks again xx

You can drop the brow a little but you risk getting a dropped brow which you just have to leave x

Hi
Yes this is correctable and very simple if your practitioner has done the advanced botox course. An injection point is put where the spok eyebrow is pulling where it's put depends on the space between the hairline and eyebrow.

The narrower the space the more precise the injection should be.

Spok eyebrows can easily be corrected its if you have a droopy eyebrow that usually has to wear off but there are techniques that can be tried.

Personally I wouldn't go somewhere that the person wasn't based in that salon as its not easy to track them down and re booking is more difficult due to limited availability.

But unfortunately you have learned the hard way with this treatment. Hopefully your experience has helped inform other geeks who are considering botox for the first time too. Xx

Latest posts

Back