Bottles of fizz

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I know it's early but looking at Valentine's Day packages and was thinking of doing a complimentary glass of fizz with your treatment and just wondering if you needed a license for this? if anybody could help that would be great X

Not in the States. I offer complimentary wine and beer with every service. I can't sell it but I can serve it.

I could be wrong but I'm sure you do need a license! Otherwise it's BYOB. I think :)

This sounds like a bit of a grey area to me. I used to work for one of the training bodies that run the alcohol license course and had you rung, I'd have said probably yes, as you are offering it to a customer who is paying you for a service. I would ring your council though and speak to their licensing department for a definitive answer.

I'm not completely sure I'm right but I think as long as your not selling it, you don't need a license. As long as you don't charge any extra for your treatment, then the alcohol is complimentary therefore really don't think you need a license. I'm offered wine in the hairdressers I go to and I wouldn't have thought they have an alcohol license x

My ex colleague says she thinks as it's free you probably won't but to double check with your local council in case you need a premises license.

Oooh I've just looked it up as I was interested and looks like you may need a license [emoji15]. Even though you are giving the alcohol as complimentary, since you are giving it with a treatment, it's classed as being linked to a sale therefore a premises license is needed like salj said[emoji4]. Costs will depend on local council apparently. Phew, lucky I've not offered any of my clients any booze so far lol x

Check with your local authority as they are all different.

Vic x

I have spoken to my local council on this in the past. In theory you can give a complementary glass to clients without needing a Licence as long as it is not listed in the treatment (e.g. If you advertise 'manicure with bubbles' as then it is considered part of the treatment for which you are charging.

They also advised that it should be complimentary for any member of the public that walks into your premises whether they have a treatment or not. So top tip people, if you walk past an unlicensed place and see bubbles pop in for a free glass then move on.

I'm pretty sure that is what we were told @Sharkster so if we have an open day with no treatments we can serve alcohol all day x

This has just been confirmed by my local council - but this is with no treatments, just an open day with drinks and nibbles. No license required x

Latest posts

Back