Brazilian straightening

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pooh8bear

Reaction score
I was asked today about the Brazilian conditioning treatment that straightens your hair.
Can anyone tell me anything about this as I haven't heard of it!

Hi there

I'll try and make this brief, cos I could go on for paragraphs....I've only recently started offering this treatment to clients, therefore I know for sure there are other geeks on here whom are far more qualfied to answer you.

There are a far number of different brands around now, I use La Brasiliana, it isn't a straightner, I sell it as a smoother and defrizzer. It is a keratin based treatment that is applied to the hair gradually, then sealed in using 230c straightening irons, they have to be hot enough to do the job. In my experience application so far has taken me between 2-4 hours depending on lentgh and thickness of the hair, and it should last on the hair 2-5months, again all depending on how often is is washed etc. The more knackered the hair the better the results as the keratin get get right under the cuticle, plumping and smoothing the hair, virgin hair is a bit more difficult and I think it is better the more treatments it has.

Aftercare, with La Brasiliana, hair must not be washed for 4 days after, other brands vary, but with all, the hair must not get wet within the given time, no clips or bands and not to be put up, it's hell! Then only Sodium free shampoo must be used after, as sodium(salt) will wash th treatment staright out.

Most of my clients that have had it done, have found they do still have to use straightners, but thtas really becuase they are so reliant on them, hard habit to break, but they all say their hair is much more manageable, healthier, shinier,(even blondes) but most of all they save so much time by not having to spend ages on their hair every day.

I'm mobile and Im getting aew bookig most days now for this, as so many salons won't stock it, as it is very expensive, but also extremely hard work, but finincially rewarding in the end, again if you're prepared to work hard.

You did ask :lol:

Sharon:)

I use Global Keratin and am very impressed with it so far. The shampoo and conditioner alone is awesome on grey hair, colored or over processed. I am getting also about one a day and it is very epensive but totally worth it. The difference from a straighter to a keratin treatment is...... no formaldehyde..... its made of keratin which of course is what hair if made of..,,.. its makes any hair feel like silk

let me know if you have any other questions... I am certified by Global

How much would you charge for this sort of treatment? 2-4 hours work, sounds like perm prices but you say it is really expensive to buy?
Do you need training to do this?
Will anyone be showing/demo'ing this at Olympia in London, England? (this month)
Who sells it?

I charge any where from $200 to $500 US depending on the length of the hair and thickness. also on a normal head of hair you will only use 1 oz the entire head of hair if done correctly. But a 24 0z bottle of the Kreatin treatment will cost you $200 US. You could charge per hour I suppose but most want a fixed price. I also include a small bottle of shampoo and conditioner for the client to take home to use..,... which in turn once they use it. will be back to buy more

I went to my wholesalers today & they are selling it there.
Apparently Tony & Guy charge £120 - £160 depending on length, but it can take between 2 - 4 hours.
Do they sell the shampoo seperately as @ the wholesalers you buy the kit.
Comes with a DVD.
Sounds quite a healthy thing for the hair.
Think I may wait & see if it's at Olympia.

I get mine from Capital online, Sally's are trying to get it in but are struggling I think, you can buy a starter kit that comes with a dvd. If you look on oyu tube the dvd from La brasiliana has been posted on there.

I've looked into Global Keratin, I might try that when this bottle is gone, you can buy that direct from them, again google it.

Beware I've just purchased a new aet of straightners today as my GHD weren't hot enough to do the job properly, therefore th4 hour job I did Friday need to be done again. Its a learning curve at first for sure.

If you're a fully qualified hairdresser you don't need training as such, but like anything you need to be shown or learn how to do it, but everything invlolved are things any hairdresser can do, you just need to take it slow and be patient, make sure proper aftercare is given and explained. I to give a small bottle of sodium free shampoo and conditioner to every customer.

So far my charges have varied from £40 to a part head, to £150 for a very thich, frizzy head, that needs to be redone.

Good luck, remeber you just need to do a lot of research, then you'll have your answers.

Sharon

Latest posts

Back