Breaking seal on eponychium

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Carly*

Reaction score
if I'd ever done this on myself I'd know about it right? I really struggle doing my own cuticle work, especially with my non dominant hand and tend to get a bit overzealous. So frustrating when I do clients perfectly! I also have a tendency to go a bit bonkers with my own pedi cuticle work. Everything looks good on both nails and toe nails, nothing is ever sore, but if I gently pull the skin back towards my knuckle the eponychium easily pulls back and also it's not stuck down to my nail plate, as in I can easily get under it if I wanted to. I feel like an absolute moron for asking this. Just want to check I've not been breaking the seal, I assumed I'd know about it if I had. Please be gentle as I'm still learning. X

The eponychium is under the 'fold' of skin. When the seal is thick and poorly maintained the fold can remain stuck to the plate.

What you describe is simply the fold having room to move.

However. Don't be tempted to dig under the fold or be aggressive pushing it back as this is when you can break the eponychium.

Also never be tempted to cut or nip at the skin. This is when techs cut into the skin fold or rip the seal. Either opens up for infection
A incurring this area should be gentle and never uncomfortable.

Hope that helps

Thank you so much Envy. That confirmed everything I thought and that I've been doing things right, I was just a little bit worried as with both nails and toenails it really moves very very easily. I just didn't know how you'd know if you had broken the seal, I'm guessing pain would be the obvious sign? x

Thanks Jenny Jo, it's more that I struggle because I don't have the same control on myself using just the one hand, even more so when I have to use my non dominant hand! I'm fine with clients as I can hold and manipulate their fingers with my left hand whilst I use my right to do the work. Took me a while to polish well using my non dominant hand, guess it will take a while to get used to using tools with it. I have no idea how people do their own sculpting with their non dominant hands!

Latest posts

Back