Broken capillaries & v weak nails after overlays removed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tameeza

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am a relative newbie to this site (love it by the way, especially the tutorials!), training to be a nail tech but my query is as a customer...... :o

I am 8 months pregnant and recently had my L&P overlays removed in preparation for labour (I'm not allowed any enhancement whatsoever :sad: ).

As a result my own nails are very, very weak, all of them have broken and I have noticed that I have broken capillaries under the nail plate. To make things worse, on some of my nails, the nail plate is coming away from the hyponichium (sp?) :Scared:

Is this normal?

And what can I do to strengthen my nails - they look awful!!! (I'm eating very well/healthily for a change because I'm pregnant.)

Thanks for all your help and advice.

Hello hun,

How were the enhancements removed? Were they soaked off? I have only seen this kind of thing if the enhancements were prized away from the nail plate. They didn't pick at them at all did they to remove any lifted acrylic prior to soaking? I once went to a salon that nipped at the lifted product on my nail with cuticle nippers.....arghhhh!
I know that might sound like a really strange question....but like I said that's the only time i've seen that kind of thing.

As Krissy said... sounds to me like the enhancments were forced off (hence the haemorrhaging I think you are talking about).

You can try some natural nail strengtheners (ie ToughenUp) and SolarOil, but for the most part you are going to have to pamper the nails as they grow out (shouldnt take so long if your prego ;) )

BTW: I am assuming you needed to remove your enhancments because you are having a caesarean? To be honest, I cant for the life of me figure out why you HAD to have them removed (though, it may be hard to properly maintain them for the first little while your little package is about ;) )

Think its got something to do with them being able to see how pink your natural nail beds are? cant remember what they can tell from this but it was important, thats why you cant wear polish either x

Aspirations said:
Think its got something to do with them being able to see how pink your natural nail beds are? cant remember what they can tell from this but it was important, thats why you cant wear polish either x
Yep, I think you're right.
I have had 2 c-sections and i couldn't have enhancements on or any polish on fingers or toes. I think they say it to all mums just in case you need to go to theatre at all.
They put a clip on your finger to monitor your blood oxygen levels and this cannot make good contact with the skin if you have enhancements on......thus nothing on the nail to block it.

I find all this about nail enhancements being removed for hospital treatment very confusing ...........

to check the pinkness of a nail bed can they not use toes? or at least just nominate one finger to be removed for the time?

doesnt the clip thing to monitor oxygen take its measurments on the finger pad?

if its such a problem then what would they do if you were rushed in as an emergency? "oh yes, she need to go to theatre immediately but first we need to remove her nail enhancments ......... is there a nail technician in the house?"

Too funny Karen...

You guys are correct... they use the colouration of the beds as an indicator of blood flow. However, they can just as easily use toe nails or one fingernail. I have never watched an episode of ER where they had to rush the patient into the soak off room before they could operate.

Saying that... all joking aside... who cares as long as the removal was done correctly?

Karen_SCV said:
I find all this about nail enhancements being removed for hospital treatment very confusing ...........

to check the pinkness of a nail bed can they not use toes? or at least just nominate one finger to be removed for the time?

doesnt the clip thing to monitor oxygen take its measurments on the finger pad?

if its such a problem then what would they do if you were rushed in as an emergency? "oh yes, she need to go to theatre immediately but first we need to remove her nail enhancments ......... is there a nail technician in the house?"

lol.....you crack me up ...the problem is they just ping them off with a metal spatula :twisted: thats what they did in A&E with one of my clients...... :cry:

Fab Freak said:
lol.....you crack me up ...the problem is they just ping them off with a metal spatula :twisted: thats what they did in A&E with one of my clients...... :cry:
Nasty:irked: Why would they do that when they know how much damage can be caused:irked:

Amanda

We used to do many many nurses nails in our Leeds based salon and they used to tell us allot of cool information which even the doctors do not seem clued up on. they did tests with their enhancements on. Here is what they found:

1. The temperature at the extremities that is monotered by the thing on the finger reads excatly the same, with or without the enhancement on.

2. The colour of the nail bed can be seen quite clearly ... through CND products anyway (and that was what they were testing). colour is an indication of the oxygen level in the blood. If the nail bed goes blue then it is a bad sign of low oxygen levels.

3. the pulse meter that is also used on the finger ends also reads exactly the same with or without enhancements.

There is no really good argument for anyone having to remove them. Nail enamel YES, enhancements no.

3 weeks ago I had a major abdominal operation. I was asked to remove nail polish. When I explained that my nails were enhancements and the french manicure was not polish but permanent (on my big toe nails as well) they said FINE ninguna problema!! No problem. Seems they are more clued up in Spain. It simply was not an issue.

and to follow on from what geeg says the actual pulse oxemeter (the thing that clips on the end of your finger) measures the level of oxygen going to the extremeties so nail enhancements would not contra indicate this.
when i worked in a&e the only thing that was useful using fingertips was to gain level of conciousness ie press the tip of the finger to see if patient react to pain, but you can also use the ear lobe.
the only thing i can think of is people miss understanding enhancements and think they will fall of during the operation like jewellery and again when people especially with wedding rings, sometimes they can be taped up depending on that theatre,s policy.
i think alot depends on hospital district and their policies.
also like geeg i had a general anaesthetic 2 years ago in a military hospital and didnt have to remove my enhancements
jmho

So with Joanne's input as well, (I'm grateful to now know the name of the 'thingy' at the end of the finger, thank you) maybe it would be good for us all to discuss this point with the doctor first, before we go into theater and explain and educate them about the permanence of enhancements. Perhaps then, wearing nails wouldn't be an issue in the hospital.

geeg said:
So with Joanne's input as well, (I'm grateful to now know the name of the 'thingy' at the end of the finger, thank you) maybe it would be good for us all to discuss this point with the doctor first, before we go into theater and explain and educate them about the permanence of enhancements. Perhaps then, wearing nails wouldn't be an issue in the hospital.
Absolutely Geeg,

A lot of women, including myself, have had to remove enhancements before going into hospital. I have had two elective sections and was told in no uncertain terms that they had to be removed because of the pulse oxemeter. I thought it sounded plausible so I did as I was told like a good girl! I wish i could have spoken to someone like Joanne first who sees things from both sides, nursing and nails, and is clued up about things like this. Had I known i would have been able to explain to them. Soooo annoyed now.....i could have kept my nails!:cry:
Joanne......if i ever have another baby, I'll be taking you in with me to guard my nails!:wink2:

Geeks, this is a great thread for the newbies amongst us, me included. Just wanted to say it's really informative and I've learned loads in just this lunch hour!

Geeg, hope you're recovering well. I'd imagine Spain is a better place than dark, wet, windy England! xxx

I was told by the midwives at the ante-natal classes I HAD to have them removed as they would need to see if there was any circulation problems and that was the quickest way to check......

I should ask them to read this thread.......LOL..... it would educate them about nail enhancements. I will certainly be telling them what you've all said anyway ;)

Going back to the broken blood vessels, the overlays were removed by soaking in acetone and scraping the L&P off. No nippers were used......... I have been applying cuticle oil twice a day to rehydrate my nails after the acetone bath but they are still very weak - I broke another one this morning in the shower trying to flick open the shampoo bottle :irked: and that was when i was trying to use the pads of my fingers too.

Is there anything else i can do?????

Thanks for all your replies.

Hiya,

i think just using a good strengthener for a while will improve your nails and regular manicures.

I had a client in this week for a soak off because she was going into hospital for a minor op and them came the next day for them overlaying again!! I wish this thread had been before because it would have saved us both alot time, never mind, but i will know for next time :hug:

Amanda

Hi Lily,

Thanks for the suggestion of a good strengthener - could you please recommend one to me???

Thanks. xx

Hiya Hun,

Toughen Up by Creative is smashing.

HTH,

K x

Hi Krissy

Will order some on Monday and give it a go.....

Thanks for all your advice.

xx

tameeza said:
Hi Krissy

Will order some on Monday and give it a go.....

Thanks for all your advice.

xx
It is going to take time Tameeza! Toughen Up is a great product, but time is still the key with your naturally thin nails right? Wraps are the answer for nails like yours. It will give you great strength with virtually no shrinkage unlike liquid/powder and gels. You could even have them wrapped now and avoid all the TIME waiting for them to grow through again.

Latest posts

Back