Bruise throughout entire nail - What to do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honeycure

Reaction score
My professor slammed his finger shut with his car door about a month ago. His entire nail was black

Today I saw that the nail plate that had detached had started to break and he asked me what he could do about it.

Honestly, I've never seen such a badly bruised nail before so I really don't know what to suggest. I think cutting it all the way back would be best so that nothing forms underneath the nail, but I've never done it before so I'm a little nervous. Not to mention there's a lot of dried blood underneath.... so would soaking that get rid of it? I really prefer not to touch it :/

Also, would solar oil do anything for him? The skin around the nail seemed to be a bit dried out.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated <3

Edit: Actually, I remember he said he didn't want to cut it back because it would look really bad. Would getting the dried blood out, cutting it down a bit (not completely), and possibly repairing with gel be a good idea?

I use to do this to my toenails a lot, I'm a total clutz. Last time it happened I kept a bandaid on it for forever to protect it (wouldnt do this now knowing what I do about infection and germs) and thought for some reason it would work itself out.... it didnt. Weeks later the nail fell off and started it's healing process, which I'm sure I slowed down! Long story short I think it's gonna come off either way, I'd personally cut it back, tell him to wear a bandaid for a few hours a day, the busy hours, to keep that poor tender nail bed protected a little bit, wash it with antibacterial soap and let it do it's thang. This is probably terrible advice but it's what I'd do, lol

Latest posts

Back