Building a client base

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreamylocks

Reaction score
Hey I was wondering roughly how long it takes to build a good busy customer base? I'm weeks away from completing my level 2 and I'm desperate to be working and gaining experience. There is a new salon where I have approached and offered my hair extensions services. I've seen her today and she's talking about making another booth for hair so they would have room for me. New girl isn't doing great, she's young and sounds a bit arrogant to me so she may be leaving.

So this all sounds great and I'm willing to be self employed and give 30%. But what if there isn't enough walk ins for me, or the girl there before me gets them? What if I can't get new clients in. It's all so new to me I'm afraid of failing 😦.....

Would I be better applying for a larger busy salon in a shopping mall or town centre ?

I'd recommend that you go and do your level 3 as at level 2 you cover no colour correction, bridal or creative cutting x you could do this part time and rent a chair at the same time x

Yep your right I was in two minds about doing it thinking I could learn myself. Hopefully I can do it part time like my level 2 and use this place as my placement 😊.

I think that will be best it's what I'm doing for my level 3 at the minute, I'm 3 days at college 1 day placement which I'm hoping I'll be able to rent a chair in soon, and bits of mobile on evenings and weekends xx you've got a big bonus as you can do extensions :)

You wanna be in a salon with a team feeling to support one another. In salons where everyone is self employed its everyone for themself x

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

I don't really think self employed is right for just qualified persons- it's not about money- it's about growth and development really.

Self employed is like running your own business - not something you ideally do fresh from level 2.

If you use this as a placement- who are you learning from for your level 3 - who will you bounce off- who will show you new things?

Yes I know this is why I am worried. I know I can learn lots from the lady who owns the salon, but I feel I can't bring much to them apart from the extensions.

One college is offering level 3 with a placement the other is not but I'm not sure they are starting it untill next September.

Latest posts

Back