Building my business- Advice?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jax19

Reaction score
Hi there, I currently rent a salon. Im entering my third year. My sister has a small room as a beautician and I have a young saturday girl. I rarely advertise as I have a large enough loyal client base. However this year I would like to really push the business to maybe think about getting another premesis in a few years to add to my empire! To do this obviously I need to grow and bring in another stylist. I really dont know which would be best? Either rent a chair or employing someone. Im worried about having to trust someone while im out of the salon not to steal from me, be that products or clients. And also need to work out the extra stress that comes from employing someone. For example if I employed someone who 6 months down the line got pregnant. Id be screwed basically. I have thought about advertising for a home hairdresser in the area who would like to use my premesis and equipment/resources bringing with them their client base, and I take a percentage.

Anyways sorry for the essay! If anyone has been in this situation, or could offer advice I would be very greatful!
Jax

A few things to think about-

How do you feel about a partner? Would you like to share your "empire" with a silent partner, or truly become a business partner with someone who has a vested or monetary interest in the salon?

Do you have a business plan or a S.M.A.R.T goal? (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, time specific) What about a mission statement to provide focus and direction to your goal?

Will you be an employer? Partner? or Landlord? if you are an employer are you comfortable with the discipline aspect? If you are a partner, will you share responsibility or will you be the decision maker alone OR, will you allow your partner to have a voice in your decisions? If you are a land lord will you be able to trust your renters and have a strict enough lease agreement to keep things how you want them?

I know this probably didn't help, but it gave you things to think about. Let us know what you decide!!

Staff are the biggest nightmare! I have had people turn up late, turn up when they feel like it, time off sick, stealing, quit with no notice etc....
All my staff have been self employed. I really think, as you are an established business that it is better to employ people. At least that way you have a say over what happens.
I always used to joke about only employing gay men and women who have already had their families! My sister has just started to work for me and she has 4 kids, one is only 1! I can rely on her though. That's the biggest problem-getting staff you can rely on.
We can never be sure how well we know someone so make sure you get references.
Maybe put them on a trial to start with and then you can see how it goes, Good luck

Sounds like you have a great set up the way things are already,
with no worries no nightmares or headaches lol :hug:

I don't have a salon, but one day am planning to open one.
Personally I think that the biggest downfall would be perhaps not to motivate the staff enough. My motto is education is a motivator. So more they get training, more motivated they become. If someone has a good motivation, gets the right kind of feedback on their work, they want to shine more, which means that they want to make better of them selves and you will end up having happy clients.

A few things to think about-

How do you feel about a partner? Would you like to share your "empire" with a silent partner, or truly become a business partner with someone who has a vested or monetary interest in the salon?

Do you have a business plan or a S.M.A.R.T goal? (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, time specific) What about a mission statement to provide focus and direction to your goal?

Will you be an employer? Partner? or Landlord? if you are an employer are you comfortable with the discipline aspect? If you are a partner, will you share responsibility or will you be the decision maker alone OR, will you allow your partner to have a voice in your decisions? If you are a land lord will you be able to trust your renters and have a strict enough lease agreement to keep things how you want them?

I know this probably didn't help, but it gave you things to think about. Let us know what you decide!!

Hi , I think Jenny has made some very good points here, I suppose you
could have a think about a partner as they may be a lot more reliable for you especially if you get a good one ,
you sound like a really hard worker yourself ,
also would they allow you to purchase the shop that you already rent ? :hug:

Hey all.
Sorry slow reply. In response to jeni giles, and the SMART goal. This is where my naivity comes in. Im just starting my 3rd year and have kept things very simple. I litterally do my hairdressing, pay my bills and whatever is left in the pot is my wages. I havent even considered forecasting gross earnings. (I switch off on that part of dragons den!) I have a graph comparing my takings and I obviosly want to increase that by a certain percent in this year. I really love the idea off heading a team. I love helping people better their skills by giving them advice. Im just about to start the assessors award course. And minky about the shop: I rent off an elderly lady with 4 children. As and when she passes away there will be 3 options. 1: They will have to sell up and split the profits leaving me out on my ear. 2: They will sell up and whoever buys it will want me to continue with the shop. 3: They will all be amicable and rent upstairs whilst i still rent downstairs and they make a bit of money. So if I had a second salon at least Id have a fallback.
Jax

Hi Jax I see what you mean , just thinking though , couldnt you get a little home based salon set up in readiness ? just incase they sell don't sell it to you,
Then your clients can come to you at your home salon , (after all they are your clients from your own shop)

that way you wont have to pay any rent,
and this may also give you the time you need to look for other business premises if you decide to go ahead
Ps , good luck with your assesors course which one are you doing or are you doing both ? :hug:

Latest posts

Back