Business | Babies and Beauty: Do They Mix?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
Every now and again, I deviate from my news path and head over into other nail, skin, hair and business threads just to see what's going down. I'm nosy as hell and have a distinct fear of missing out (in our household, this is known as suffering from FOMO), but thankfully it's also a professional requirement so it works for me.

I did, however, stumble across a thread that caught my eye. What are we supposed to do about kids in the salon? There are, off the top of my head, a million reasons why they shouldn't be there. With all the chemicals, electrical equipment, and sharp objects that are lying around, a salon is a health and safety cesspit for teeny tiny people. Not to mention the fact that salons are supposed to be pockets of serenity and calmness in a way that doesn't quite gel with tantrums, snotty noses, and screaming. And, let's be honest, parents who do bring their children sometimes think that as soon as there in the salon, the responsibility of looking after that child is suddenly shared between everyone in there...as if you don't have enough to do already.

Any paying customer who has had the good sense to leave their littluns with grandparents or friends does not want her massage (in other words her one hour of the week off!) interrupted by someone else's kids kicking up a storm in the room next door. Any working professional doesn't want to be cutting hair or doing nails but worrying about whether little Johnny is going to poke his sticky fingers into an electrical socket.

So I think we can all agree that salons are not places for kids, right? But how do we tell people that without upsetting or offending? You may lose a client who simply will not leave their child with anyone else. You may upset a client who can't understand why you wouldn't want her little angel doing his own version of a bull in a china shop in your salon. But, in the grand scheme of things, the simple fact is that it's a health and safety risk and it shouldn't happen. Tell them that.

Oh, and then tell them your insurance won't cover it if little Johnny breaks some very expensive stuff and you'll be sure to send them the bill.

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• tantrum.jpg
    tantrum.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 506
I totally agree. A salon is no place for a child. Apart from health and safety issues and insurance, it's a place where clients can go to chill out and be pampered for an hour or two.:biggrin:

I tell them that my insurance does not cover me to have under 8's in the salon, so that is why they cant bring them in and I would love them in (erm no thats a lie I wouldnt) but thats my insurance comanies fault. I have 4 kids too...

end of really.

The only time I ever took my daughter into a salon was when she was having her hair cut after mine. She sat, good as gold, watching the little mermaid on my ipod and didn't move a muscle. Until.... my hair was being finished by a junior and the owner decided he was gonna start tickling her, then chasing her around the salon and playing hide and seek with her.

I. was. MORTIFIED :eek: I was SO conscious of the fact that there were other women in the salon who, as was said, have their hour a week off (I Include myself in that too, by the way) and want to spend It relaxing. I told her repeatedly to sit down, but he's like 'nah, she's fine. She's keeping them entertained' - and then turned round and continued pulling faces at her.

It's really not the place for kids to hang around just waiting on mummy... and even less so if theyre gonna be wound up. And that's obviously without taking the H&S into account!

p.s. I continued to cut her hair myself after that :o

Latest posts

Back