Business | Beauty Salon Closes Suddenly Leaving Clients Out Of Pocket

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
Clients trudged through the Liverpool winter weather to their beauty treatments - a little ray of sunshine amid the dark, dank days - to find that the salon had closed down without any warning.

Taped on the shutters of the Laser Skin Clinic on Eaton Road, West Derby, said, "Due to unforeseen circumstances this business is no longer trading. We apologise for inconvenience caused."

Its owner Ashley Cahill blamed 'market forces', cost of insurance and discount voucher schemes for its closure. To clients out of pocket she said those with Groupon vouchers should contact Groupon and an administrator would be appointed to deal with other debt.

Speaking to the local press she tearfully said, "The shop is bust. Groupon killed it. My insurance has gone from £400 to £2,500, I can’t afford it."

This is becoming more and more common throughout the industry and Cahill isn't exactly a newby in the business. She once scooped a top beauty award and even launched her own skincare range and added that she had been 'bullied' by angry customers since she shut down the salon.

"People have gone to a shop that is nothing to do with me and threatened to burn it down. People are wanting their money back but I’ve no money. I’ve put every penny I own into the business – trying to make it survive. For the last six months I’ve kept it afloat, robbing Peter to pay Paul. My credit cards are through the roof and I’ve no money to pay them. It’s all down to me, trying to be ambitious and wanting to be successful."

Like any savvy business woman, she says she did her homework. She researched the business extensively and bought a professional laser machine. Now she's up against competition who have bought cheaper machines from China and she simply can't compete.

Cahill also blames the discount schemes that makes customers believe that business can survive offering treatments for rock bottom prices.

It's a sad tale but a common one.

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• JS46475021.jpg
    JS46475021.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 164
Sadly, this said it all.......

Unfortunately people wanting bargains over quality is rife in this industry, both clients wanting and expecting unreasonably cheap services thanks to the likes of Groupon, but also certain type of business owners who like to buy cheap products and equipment and cut corners.

Quality and top results should be valued more than they are.

Latest posts

Back