Taking over a beauty salon - but not advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnonBeauty

Reaction score
Hi

This is quite a unique/random scenario i'm sure but it would be great to get your thoughts. I am posting under an alias as it’s a touchy subject.

A friend of mine owns a series of buildings, one of which has been running as a beauty salon for 20 years. It’s been in the hands of the previous owner for 8 years and the reason I say previous owner is because my friend has just has to evict the tenant/repossess the building due to non-payment of rent for the past 2 years.

The court has awarded him the entire contents of the salon in partial payment of the debt and so it’s essentially a fully functional salon. He's offered me the tenancy as is, as it would save them clearing out the place and putting it back to an empty shell before re-letting.

It did have 1 full time employee and 1 part time with the owner there some of the time, it has 3 treatment rooms plus a spray tan room and is in a high street location.

The first thing that came into my mind was why did it fail? Unfortunately I don't have access to the last 2 years accounts as hard copies weren't in the salon and I don't have access to the isalon system. What I do have is the accounts for 2004-2010 plus the daily cashing up sheets for most of February.

From looking through the February details it appears it took around £9k in treatments for the first 3 weeks of the month, £600 in retail sales and £5,000 in gift certificates and pre-paid treatments. The pre-paid treatments from what I can see are usually a lot less, however the previous owner decided to go out with as much money as possible and offer clients £4k of treatments for £500. The values of the treatments vary but are mostly between £25-£100 with the odd receipt for £300, having spoken briefly to the full time member that was there (but who has now got another job and won’t consider returning) she says the majority of treatments were facials, nails, waxing but that they did get regular laser hair removal.

Looking through the information I have for previous years it was taking between £8-20k a month but it is clear that there was a shortfall somewhere. I can see the expenses put through the books for this time period were unnecessarily high which I feel contributed as well as very high equipment leasing payments. The salon is kitted out with laser hair removal/skin treatment machines, teeth whitening machines, laser lipo machines, facial scanners etc which were all brought and financed when she took over. Despite this she still took £2,000 a month out of the business to pay herself and failed to pay the rent.

I’ve calculated what I think the running costs of the salon should be per month and they equate to £3,500pm which includes 1 full time staff member. Obviously this would go up to factor in my own salary and a part time person if required (although I don’t have enough visibility to gauge if a part timer is needed).

My thoughts are that financially it should stack up, is there anything else that you can think to consider? I have a list of 2,000 client details plus I’ve had several contact me expressing an interest in returning. I’m a qualified therapist although not in laser but I predominantly run a marketing agency.

Hiya,

Just wondering, is the salon still running or closed down? If it's been closed, how long has it been closed for?

Just want to understand situation before I say something.

Hi, It was running until a week ago.

Wow!

After reading this, my first thought was get a solicitors advice, to make sure the previous person didn't take out loads of business loans/credit cards/ in the company name and you get saddled with repaying them. The business address may be blacklisted.

I'd make sure whatever you sign is checked legally. Friend or no friend in charge, you really don't want to get stung if there's suddenly demands for properly, cars, equipment coming through your door and it's the name of the previous business.

But it sounds very interesting :)

I have no experience of running a 'commercial' salon,just my own small concern, but I would think the first thing is check the appointment book and see how many treatments were booked in and paid for using the high tech stuff..in other words, if they aren't paying their way then ask the leasers to terminate the agreements (as its with the 'previous owner') as you don't want to take it over with several millstones round your neck!
Facials and nails don't need a huge monthly ongoing payments!
As KayaPapaya says, check for outstanding debts etc, then perhaps negotiate with the owner to take it on with a trial basis of say..6 months with a lower rent etc? if it booms, then you can go for a more permanent arrangenment and perhaps increase the rent..if it doesn't, then at least you've tried and hopefully not lost anything..
I'm no legal expert, but I'm not sure you would have to legally honour the prepaid treatments as the original business no longer exists..may be an idea to consider changing the salon's name anyway, as mud sticks and a fresh start is always good..x Take some qualified advice first though...
Sounds like she overstretched herself or failing that, perhaps a case of 'sticky fingers'??

Hi

Dont have long but will quickly reply highlighting what I think are initial concerns.

1) Get a solicitor even if you dont go ahead with it a couple of hundred of pounds now is better then thousands down the line. You would need one for the lease anyway so best to start off with one.

2) You say your friend was given the stock etc as part compensation to recover costs of unpaid rent.. is he/she giving them to you for free or on a lend basis?

If they are offering them for free I would not take them free as surely this is to recoup there missing rent? I would be inclined to say sell them to me.. he could sell it all at 50p an item 1p an item even but make sure its a binding sale so a receipt/invoice with stock inventory is given to you.

You would not want to be in a situation 5 years down the line he says i want it all back. Cover your backside at all stages in business.

3) Personally if it were me id take the stock for a price, take over the lease and start from scratch as a new company. Have you done any research on the reputation of the salon? Plus as you mentioned there were alot of pre paid treatments, you could end up working for nothing and running at a loss for a very long time.
You could get your solicitor to write up a notice to all old clients (perhaps display in window) how they would contact the previous owner to recover costs. One example would be somebody walks in on day 1 with 6 sessions of laser left and you dont do it they would be entitled to a refund.

4) I would also get your solicitor to do financial checks incase of credit etc, likely chance is the company is blacklisted. Is it a Limited Company? if so you will need to go as a director.. is the previous owner likely to remove herself and add you.. does she own HMRC & VAT.

From personal experience i took over an existing company and within days had debt collectors at the door i even got taken to court because the previous owner had mail directed to her house and changed accounts into my name. A rather horrid time when i should have been concentrating on my new business. I started a new company and changed the name and got rid of any connection. Still 18 months down the line we have debt collectors and big horrid scary men turning up and me having to show id to prove im not her.

I would take lease start afresh and do a big advertising campaign to draw in old clients. You would not be able to contact the clients due to Data Protection, but you have a massive advantage as in you can use the data for your own marketing campaign i.e you have all the details of spend, age, popular treatments etc.. you know what people in area want without having to do any of the research. Just do not contact one single person, it only takes one client to still be in contact with the previous owner and inform them they have been contacted for a bitter previous owner to stick the knife in.

Lastly and am repeating myself but GET A SOLICITOR!!!! If your an avid user of SG you will have seen lots of posts about friends being in business etc to fall out and all go wrong. A business is exactly that friend or not treat it as a professional business and do everything by the book.

Good luck x

Lots of great advice already given.
I don’t own a salon, I rent a room. I used to rent a shop and I tend to drive a hard bargain in what I do.
I think it’s actually worse doing anything with a friend. If things go sour, friends seem to have an ability to treat us worse than strangers. Only go into this if you’re prepared to possibly lose this friend at some point, it happens a lot.
This business has failed and you can presume it’s been making a loss for the past 2 years as that’s how long she hasn’t been paying rent. So the previous accounts are pretty irrelevant.
The moment the salon closed it lost its goodwill, (clients and ability to generate income, which impacts sale value and worth of business); he would only have done this if it was making a loss.
The full time therapist has left, so there’s a possibility she’s taken the client base with her. She was the bulk of the business. If he’s trying to put a worth on the client list, based on all the above it’s worth nothing now.
The salon is now only worth its stock and equipment, so you need to negotiate a good price for this. Second hand stock is always worth a lot less than what the seller hopes. The equipment could break at any point so you need a good price to make it worth your risk.
I would not take over any of the leases on the machines. As you’ve learned “the majority of treatments were facials, nails, waxing” Build up these clients first, then you can choose to buy expensive equipment when you feel ready to. You don’t know how good her machines are, what happens if they break?
You don’t need to honour the gift certificates. She sold £5,000 worth of gifts in 1 month, so how many has she sold in the past 6!?! And you say they’re at a greatly reduced rate so if you honoured them all would you be working for nothing for a year?
But if you don’t honour the gifts will you lose the bulk of potential future clients? Did every regular buy them? Will they ever come back?
I don’t think this is the “deal” your friend might want you to think it is. You now have a conflict of interests, him wanting the highest price for the business, you the lowest.
Whatever figure he’s thinking I’d offer half then go up from there to a figure you’re both happy with.
Personally I’d want a rent free trial period of 6 months, based on the problems listed and possible further problems you may encounter.
If he was to try and find another buyer through an estate agent, rip out shop, sell all stock and find a new tenant it could take this long so I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask this.
Minimum you want massively discounted rent for the first 6 months.
If he does give you a trial period then agree the sale value beforehand. What you don’t want to happen is, you go into the business, build it up so it’s worth a lot more and he then asks for a much higher selling price. Or even worse, he gets rid of you and sells it to someone else willing to pay more.
At the turnover you stated you should be paying VAT, so please bear in mind. 20% of anything you take must be given to the VAT man. Staffing from what I’ve read should be about 30%. So that leaves 20 – 30% for everything else, rent, bills, rates, stock, and advertising. So you need to make sure the rent he’s asking still leaves you with a profit margin.
Good luck with whatever you decide. Hope this has given you some food for thought and helps.
And you definitely need a solicitor J

Thank you, all of your comments are really useful . Sorry for the late reply it’s all go at the moment.

I probably should have been a bit clearer, I would open as a completely new business which I think means that I would not be liable for anything but I will definitely run it all past a solicitor. It would be 100% in my name and I would just have a new tenancy agreement from my friend.

As for the equipment that is my main concern, my friend is checking with the leasing companies to see what the state of play is and then we will agree a price on them I just need to try and work out what I think they are worth. Do you know the best place to look to find out second hand values?

THCReading after asking about the machines it’s an IPL machine not a laser, an Ellipse to be precise. I have no experience in IPL or Laser other than researching the differences. Would you say that the uptake of IPL is on the decline, I know laser looks to be the better treatment? It also wasn’t a limited company and so I can’t get the last 2 years accounts. I’m essentially looking at it as a new business with the added benefit of the likelihood of some custom already being there, equipment at a reduced rate and low initial fit out cost as it just needs a lick of paint.

Can anyone give me a breakdown of bills that you pay (just what they are not necessarily the amounts) to make sure I’ve accounted for everything?

I don’t have access to the appointment book as its online using iSalon so I can’t tell whether the prebooked treatments are the high tech ones, although I have had a few people contact me saying they had fat freezing, derma roller and radio frequency skin tightening booked which they pre-paid for.

I've just been sent the following equipment lists.

ITEM 1 1 x Cellu-smooth
ITEM 2 1 x bt-view Virtual Mirror
ITEM 3 1 x Solutions by Hive Heated Pedicure Boots
ITEM 4 1 x 3-D lipo vacuum cryolipolysis 60cm2 cavitation
ITEM 5 1 x Bio Oxygen Gold BIOX2024
ITEM 6 1 x Steamer on 4 leg pole stand
ITEM 7 1 x unknown
ITEM 8 1 x Innovation Equipment DL888
ITEM 9 1 x Bioskin Sonolight Skinlight unit and stand
ITEM 10 1 x Skin scanner F-1 No 940355
ITEM 11 1 x Bio-Therapeutics Inc L.A Smile Laser aesthetic teeth whitening system
ITEM 12 1 x Fast cavitation slimming treatment machine
ITEM 13 1 x Bio-Therapeutics Inc, Bio Ultimate Gold
ITEM 14 1 x Electric adjustable couch
ITEM 15 1 x Ellipse Light
ITEM 16 1 x Electric adjustable couch
ITEM 17 1 x Apilus Senior II
ITEM 18 1 x Salon System Just Wax – Roller Wax Heater + trio (1 boxed plus 2 used unboxed)
ITEM 19 1 x Promed nailfan dust cleaner with UV lamps
ITEM 20 1 x Fantasy Tan spray booth and spray equipment
ITEM 21 1 x Body Sculpture Power Toner BMI501
ITEM 22 1 x 4 in 1 Diamond Dermabrasion unit

2 x black saddle stools
2 x white saddle stools
1 x stool with gas lift in black (small tear in fabric)
3 x Footsie Bath (1 green and 2 black)
1 x Tanita scales
1 x beauty couch (non electric)
4 x 500m three shelf carts on castors
1 x Magnify lens & light on adjustable pole stand
2 x 1.2m white treatment trolley with trays to one side

Is the iSalon system in the premed is or online? Could be worth checking as it could be considered an asset that has been passed to landlord so you can ask them to give you access to it.

It may also be worth asking your friend to point a sign up in window with a contact number I case you decide to go ahead. Get a really cheap PAYG mobile for it.

Hi

Does anyone know what these machines are likely to be worth second hand and if they are any good?

Cellu-smooth
bt-view Virtual Mirror
3-D lipo vacuum cryolipolysis 60cm2 cavitation
Bio Oxygen Gold BIOX2024
Bioskin Sonolight Skinlight unit and stand
Bio-Therapeutics Inc, Bio Ultimate Gold
Ellipse Light IPL
Apilus Senior II
4 in 1 Diamond Dermabrasion unit

Last edited by a moderator:
What makes you ask my darling?

It would rather depend on the age of the machine, the use it's had, and the general condition, I think.

I'm considering setting up a salon in a building that used to be one, a family friend owns the building and had to repossessed it from the previous tenant. He's offered me a new lease (nothing to do with the old tenant) but the court awarded him the contents and I'm just trying to work out how much to pay him for everything and what's worth keeping. Those are the main ones I'm stuck on.

Everything is in reasonable condition except the Eclipse IPL which has a few dinks around the edges. I don't know on the age of everything but the Elipse was brought in 2008 and the rest anywhere between 2004-2010

What has happened to all the clients who purchased vouchers (the £4k worth for £500)? If then previous owner walked away making £5k from this and some people bought vouchers for £100 and £300 aren't they going to come knocking on your door (the same door) for it back or has this already been handled?

Latest posts

Back