Business | Clinique's New Approach To Service...But Should It Be That Hard?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
For a long time now, we have known the hell of beauty departments in stores. It's always the first thing you walk into off the street and before you know it you are bombarded by women trying to spray you, curl you or colour you in. Beauty should be stress free and luxurious - beauty halls just aren't like that.

Not so long ago, we heard that Marks and Spencer were shaking up their serving style to ensure that their beauty hall was tranquil and now, Clinique have followed their lead. In an effort to allow us to reclaim the beauty department as our own, they have introduced a wristband system.

Walk into their stripped back, clean, shiny new counter design and select one of three wristbands: "I Want Help", "I May Want Help" or "No Thank You". Clinique are retraining their staff to allow you to take your time and play with everything (including the new iPad gadgets they have floating around) in the hope that the absence of pressure means your more likely to buy something rather than stride through beauty quickly.

It's all very well and good, but in my humble opinion, can't they just employ staff that don't hound you but are there for help when you need it and ask for it? I'm thinking they should introduce a fourth wristband: "I'll Come To You".

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• iStock_000020284928XSmall.jpg
    iStock_000020284928XSmall.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 535
I don't like this idea. How unhygeinic to wear a wristband loads of others have worn. Think of the germs :/

Also in theory it sounds good but the practicalities of people actually making the effort to choose a wristband and put it on are two different things x

Last edited:
This is what puts me off the retail side of beauty.

I'm all for promoting a product and telling someone why it would be of use to them on a genuine level but I really don't like this mentality of commission commission commission sell sell sell because it's like saying "as long as I sell something, anything to this customer I've done my job" and it shouldn't be like that in my opinion.

Ed you had me worried about what should be on the 4th wrist band there :wink2:

The point of any sales position, is that they should be employing people who can suss out the customers. Who does and doesnt want or need help etc etc. The problem is that it works on commission, so I can't blame the staff for swooping in; they need to make money, they need to be seen to be doing something and they need to get paid. The pressure would be off for all concerned if commission wasn't an issue, but I do understand why it's in place.

I could not be doing the whole wrist band malarky, that alone would make me run through the beauty hall faster!!

It's all very well and good, but in my humble opinion, can't they just employ staff that don't hound you but are there for help when you need it and ask for it? I'm thinking they should introduce a fourth wristband: "I'll Come To You".

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Hear, hear, sounds a but silly to be faffing around with wristbands. If anything is required, a simple, genuine, non-pushy, non-excuse to open up a sales conversation "can I help you with anything?" should suffice.

It's too complicated. All you need is one type of wristband, or perhaps a paddle, to say help needed. The others are superfluous.

I think it's a novel idea and many will pop by just to try it ....... they will soon know if they are on a winner and will evolve accordingly.

Personally i think clinique is a horrible brand as a whole, staff and products in general! My old boss used the number 3 toner and found her nail polish came off with it! :irked: This wristband idea is a joke people will just avoid the stand altogether. Sorry i know my opinion is strong, hope i havent offended any fellow geeks! :o

Latest posts

Back