Business idea...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CherryAcid

Reaction score
Hi all , im new here! :)
I trained in make-up and hairstyling(its in my profile what im qualified in) and have this idea for a make-up/hair styling bar.
I live in a seaside resort that is especially popular with tourists in the summer. It will basically be a place maybe where you can go before an event or night out with the girls to get your hair and make-up done. I had ideas for sweet sixteens, mothers,bridal etc etc. I was wanting it to be a really nice relaxed area depending on what it was for, ie sat nights would b a bit more uplifting. And to also have a section for photos to be taken if wanted.
Do you think something like this would work or am i just better off going mobile?

i thought about this a few years ago. I think if your in the right area with the right passing trade or in a major city where you can attract hen and wedding parties as well as prom and sweet sixteens as you mentioned then it should work.

All that put me off was I am not a qualified photographer and I went to do the training and its a) expensive, b) very technical and c) expensive to purchase the right equipment!

You could always I suppose get trained photographers in as work experience but then there is the potential of them being bad or not turning up at all.

To hire a photographer you are looking at a lot of money and that would need to be passed on to your clients. I reckon a client would only purchase a photo up to £50. Then add on the cost of you doing their hair/make up etc it would be expensive for each client.

Ask around your local area to see what interest their is, and also check out the costs of other photo studios that do hair/make up etc.

The only way to judge your market is to do a business plan. Maybe you could find a photographer to be a business partner, or maybe you could train yourself although I thought creativity alone would be enough to the course!

How about setting up in a shopping centre temporarily for a few weeks to establish demand.

Good Luck with it

kate x

I think that sounds like a superb idea, especially when people as you say are on holiday they want pampering the only thing to consider is the 'quiet' season could you still cover your overheads etc? I live in a seaside resort area too and have a few holiday makers requesting treatments even though im mobile its a good summer business xxx hope your plans work for you well done for the idea, loving the sat night plan too somewhere for the girls to go to get pampered ad to start the night in style xx

I actually went to college to do a big media course and have trained in photography, so im ok with tthat, and my friend has just got a HND in photography so she would be a good person to call.
This idea is actually based upon a mock business plan i drew up for business studies at uni and it just stayed with me i guess. :)

That sounds great!

I think it could work in most places actually, for weddings, hen parties, birthdays out or do a Glamour Day complete with makeover and photo shoot like those Red Letter Days, I love the ide of it : )

I love the idea too, you could market it as a gift too, so birthdays, engagements, anniversaries, etc, etc so that you are not just relying on the summer trade.

I know in Durham they have a place that you go to get a photo and as part of the package you get your hair and make-up touched up.

If you can be photographer too, then you are onto a winner.

Hey if your trained in photography as well go for it hun!

Just re-do your business plan and check out the competition but it sounds like a winning formula to me.

And they do say that its the things you dont do in life that you regret, not the things you do, so bite the bullet and let us know how you get on!

Kate

Wow, great idea!
But, I do agree you have to be careful where you plan to set up something that becomes so niche.
Although they will give you good 'bread and butter', it may not be passing trade that you're attracting, as much as someone who has found out about what you do.
So location is important, I would think that this should be an added service on top of the bread and butter stuff, to keep you safe.

btw, i'm also setting up half my salon as a photography studio, but this has been done by way of subletting to a proffesionasl photographer. My commission works on referrals and vice versa.

Wow, great idea!
But, I do agree you have to be careful where you plan to set up something that becomes so niche.
Although they will give you good 'bread and butter', it may not be passing trade that you're attracting, as much as someone who has found out about what you do.
So location is important, I would think that this should be an added service on top of the bread and butter stuff, to keep you safe.

btw, i'm also setting up half my salon as a photography studio, but this has been done by way of subletting to a proffesionasl photographer. My commission works on referrals and vice versa.

Hi Saya , well this is a good idea as you can do wedding packages too
:hug: x how fab x

It's an excellent idea but just remember the big difference in set up cost between becoming mobile and actually fitting out a premises.

hi, just thought id say that we already do this in my salon, and it is really popular, the only difference being that we arent photographers, so we collaborate with a studio that we have across the road. You'll be very successfull if you can offer the whole package xx

Latest posts

Back