Business mentor

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oasis

Nail Mad
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I'm really having trouble staying motivated. I normally love working, thinking of new ideas etc but lately just feel stuck, business is really quiet and I'm losing all motivation. I'm self employed and work alone so have nobody to pick me up.
Do any of you use a mentor? If so, how have you found it? Xxx

I just qualified for a one year mentorship with London South Bank University as a start-up- got the news a few days ago. There are quite a few of these EU funded things going around. I found out about this by attending a networking event.
Join things like meetup.com- there's one in every major city in the world, but also smaller towns. Enter your preferences eg entrepreneurship is one of mine. Being in London certainly helps and because most of these things are free or minimal fee, some can be a waste of time but I've been doing it for more than 10 years and and its been incredibly useful (incl meeting my husband).
Otherwise, I find Mr Google and Mr amazon great for inspiration. If you really want to push it, try TEDtalks- free and hugely inspirational.
Hope you find your mojo! I'm on a little 'downer' myself- Feb is quiet!! So back to my books.

A mentor is a fantastic asset to your business, I wouldn't have managed without one if I'm honest. Maybe we could help you with some ideas? :) what is your biggest worry or annoyance at the mo? X

That's really nice, thank you for your help. I'm just feeling like its really quiet, as fast as I pick up clients I'm losing others due to them moving, illness etc. I want to make it a proper business rather than just a part time bit of pocket money. Feel like I'm two steps forward and one back all the time. As I said, I have no one else to run ideas past, I think you get a bit isolated. Xxx

That's really nice, thank you for your help. I'm just feeling like its really quiet, as fast as I pick up clients I'm losing others due to them moving, illness etc. I want to make it a proper business rather than just a part time bit of pocket money. Feel like I'm two steps forward and one back all the time. As I said, I have no one else to run ideas past, I think you get a bit isolated. Xxx

They do say being as business owner is a lonley job, so what services do you currently offer? What sort of ages are your customers you already have?

Well I do Shellac, Biosculpture, facials, massage, waxing, tanning, mani and pedi. Client base is mainly ladies, age 25+ and I'm mobile. Xxx

When I worked from home I found it so lonely at times. Tuesday afternoon was always the worst as it always seemed to be dead and I'd feel really low. I tried to make any quiet periods times that I would work on my business - website, leaflet drops etc - we had no Facebook back then.

I started renting a room and joined a net working group. In that group I meet my mentor who pushed me too see other possibilities!

I now totally blame him for no life, no money but a growing salon lol!!!

Vic x
Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Well I do Shellac, Biosculpture, facials, massage, waxing, tanning, mani and pedi. Client base is mainly ladies, age 25+ and I'm mobile. Xxx

That's quite a lot! The ideas above are good focussing on marketing a bit more could help, you could try to target different types of people each week on your quietest times, I've been going to coffee mornings & baby groups this last 2 weeks to get a bit more exposure, it's great to talk to people about your business, I had a fab time at the oap coffee morning lol, I sprang through the door full of life and chatter and pulled up a chair at the table and introduced myself then asked for a cuppa :) then I explained my real reason for being there that I wanted them to know that the salon is just around the corner and we LOVE oap's :) then I explained to me their VIP's and showed them my price list and offered them to pop in anytime... A week or 2 went by then 1 by 1 they started to come :) the mother and toddler groups are good but your lucky to get 2 mins peace to chat to them coz their fussing with their baby's lol, I borrowed a baby to take too it was fun, I haven't seen any of the mums yet but 2 have added me on fb so hopefully they'll b along soon! I'll come back with some more ideas later were having a bday today so gotta go now x

Go networking! You won't feel so alone and will bounce ideas with other business owners.

Latest posts

Back