Business name copied

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nishi85

Reaction score
Hi guys

just been nosing bout on the internet and found that there is another person with the exact same business name as me. the only difference is their's hasnt got ltd on the end.

i know names pf places can be duplicated etc but having done some research its all a bit of a coincidence and im worried of people confusing the business with theirs.

what would your advice be if you were in this situation???

xxx

Hi guys

just been nosing bout on the internet and found that there is another person with the exact same business name as me. the only difference is their's hasnt got ltd on the end.

i know names pf places can be duplicated etc but having done some research its all a bit of a coincidence and im worried of people confusing the business with theirs.

what would your advice be if you were in this situation???

xxx

Is the other person in the same sort of area as you? Is it a beauty business like yours? X

hi hun thanks for replying. cant see what area they are in but yes same business and their pages was launched 21 days after mine.x

Is there a telephone number for the business? Could you work out from that what area, by the area code?

If it's a long way from you I wouldn't worry

If they have ltd at the end of their name then they are a limited company, which means they have registered that name and no other limited company will be able to use that name. You can go online to Companies House Webcheck, search them and see where they are based. If they are in a completely different area I wouldn't worry about it, there are loads of beauty businesses with similar names. If you are in the same area then it is possible people will confuse your business with theirs so you may need to consider changing your name if that happens, as the other company don't have to change theirs a they have registered that business and name first.
HTH and makes sense!
xx

If they have ltd at the end of their name then they are a limited company, which means they have registered that name and no other limited company will be able to use that name. You can go online to Companies House Webcheck, search them and see where they are based. If they are in a completely different area I wouldn't worry about it, there are loads of beauty businesses with similar names. If you are in the same area then it is possible people will confuse your business with theirs so you may need to consider changing your name if that happens, as the other company don't have to change theirs a they have registered that business and name first.
HTH and makes sense!
xx
I've just noticed I read it the wrong way around :S sorry ignore me! xx

If you have protected your business name by registering with companies house / trade mark then you should be able to sort it out fairly easily.

I would begin by contacting them to explain the situation and the fact you have registered your business etc if its a genuine mistake on their part they should agree to make the necessary changes without too much hassle.

Often an email that explains your business status regarding registration etc is enough to get things resolved...

Hope you get it all sorted

Protecting your business name and domain name | Business Link

Jack

Thanks for all the replies guys. I am a limited company and registered on companies house. i have checked the companies house webiste and i am the only occasionail on there.

This other persons facebook page has no contact details - well not that i can see (if anyone can see them please pm me) so i cannot contact her/him to advise anything at the moment i dont even know where they are based?!!

i am considering the trademark for my name etc whats the difference between trademark and copyright?

also if i only trademark/copyright the business name etc now and she has already used the name do i still have a leg to stand on?

I think trademark s copyright but I'm not 100% on that. Even if you have the trademark now you will have the right over others as you wil have the intellectual rights to that name, also get your logo trademarked. If you are the on,y trademark with that name then if anyone in future tres to trademark that name or something similar they will right to you and ask if you object.

It just gives you more weight when someone tries to copy you and it costs around £200 so well worth it.

The thing with companies house is they can register occasionail uk ltd without a problem which you can't stop.

Latest posts

Back