Business Opportunity

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leanne P

Reaction score
Hey all.. just need some expert advice!
I've found a really nice salon that i was looking to rent a room in, now theres a beauty therapist there at the moment but she'll be finishing up in a few months and they've said i can use whatever i need! They've two treatment rooms, pedi chairs, a room for spray tanning and nail stations and the therapist has built up a good client base since they opened last year but she has to commute to work and is looking for something nearer to home.
i can work out a rent with them or they've offered me a commision basis where i get 50% of all treatments and they pay for all products and bills etc and they've offered me training in other services they provide that i haven't done yet..
how does this sound?? is 50% normal?

Not Sure I have been looking at something similar myself for 60% commison for me and 40% them been looking for the same advice.
It seems good to me minimum risk as your not paying anything out good place to start, just I keep doubting it seems to good an oppourtunity do you know what i mean??:irked:

My thoughts exactly.. because there really is no risk for us because all we're putting into it is time.. Only thing is if you build up a good client base ya'll be handing off a fair few bob of your earnings everyweek. It seems perfect for now but i'm kinda waiting for the catch!!!

Hiya, just thought i'd add my 2 pennies worth! I have a room 3 days a week in a hairdressers and they get 20% of my takings, but i pay for all my own products etc. like you say once your busy if you have to hand over 50% thats quite alot of your earnings. i think the 60/40 sounds more fair than 50/50.

hth x x

:lol:Yeah well my thinking is agree a tempory type contract agree to pay set commision to get things off the ground and say to have a meeting penciled in in say three months time have a look at the figures etc and see if you can re-evaluate the rent basis from commision to a fixed rent?
I am not going to mention this for now as I hope to buy them out slowly from the products and therefore have a good case to then set a rent amount as i would also looking to employee someone later also and other than the rent and rates of the space they have less to worry about.
If it doesn't work then no real loss !!

Yeah i'm actually going in to meet him after work today so i might push for 60/40 and see what he says. They seem really keen to get someone in pretty quick and i told them i can work evenings and weekends now while im still in my full time job and they jumped at it, he even rang to say they'd a few bookings this week if i was interested.
Seemingly i rang at a real good time cos the other therapist is having some sort of family problems and didnt arrive in!
Im very nervous and excited though because ive been looking for so long and now its happening and fast!!!

Sorry geeks, but I think 50% is a good deal, I'd bite their hand of.
Provided that you not only have the products provided by them, but you get to say what those products are and you get to set your prices.
They will get better price breaks then you will, because they will bulk order with the other things they buy, you won't have to set aside money for product, just make sure you tell them what you're running low on and they are offering to pay for you to go on courses:eek:
Shame I can't find anything like that around here. Products, phone, bookings, training, bet they have a credit card machine as well.
sounds good to me.

Yeah see what they say it cant harm to ask, thats sounds very similar to me i suggested evening and weekends and see how it goes, it is exciting and scary i know just what you mean. Good luck with tonight let me know how you get on :lol:

Sorry geeks, but I think 50% is a good deal, I'd bite their hand of.
Provided that you not only have the products provided by them, but you get to say what those products are and you get to set your prices.
They will get better price breaks then you will, because they will bulk order with the other things they buy, you won't have to set aside money for product, just make sure you tell them what you're running low on and they are offering to pay for you to go on courses:eek:
Shame I can't find anything like that around here. Products, phone, bookings, training, bet they have a credit card machine as well.
sounds good to me.

Ha your right.. i feel like its too good to be true! I'm so excited here in work i cant concentrate on anything! its just sooooo scary but you have to take the leap sometime i guess and i dont think ill get an opportunity like this again! no harm asking about 60/40 but i think ill be happy with 50/50 if he says no!
Ill let you guys know how i get on.. fingers crossed!!!!

Good luck hun :hug:

I too would have bitten off
anyones hand at 50 percent. Xx

I too think 50% is a great deal. I own a salon and
I supply all products, take bookings and provide everything and i pay 40% which is the norm so 50% is good!

ok i went in to meet him last night and had a look around and the place looks fab and he seemed happy with me and all and he just text me asking would i come in on saturday and work the day with the therapist thats there now and see how i get on!!! oh im so excited!!!! :)

Best of luck - i am in Dublin too however i rent a place by myself. You will need to check the vat situation - is that something that will be divided 50/50 or will that be your responsibility - Vat can make a big dent in your wallet so make sure you talk to an accountant.

Latest posts

Back