Business rates

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merci21

Reaction score
hi can anyone tell me if you have to pay buisness rates, i am going to rent a room at my cousins toning shop, i will be paying her x amount each week, i assumed thats all i would have to pay, isthis right, any help would be much appreciated????

The person first responsible for the building will pay business rates. which will be your cousin You should however ensure that what you are paying in rent includes business rates so they don't come back later and ask you for more money. Don't forget electric etc ensure your rent is inclusive of all services etc.

Yes, your cousin is responsible for business rates for the property. You won't have to make an additional payment to your local council. A commercial property is rated on location and floor space and then business rates are paid on this value. You moving into the same premises wont have a bearing.

Some salons rent out space on a fixed fee, but others also ask for contributions towards Rates, Electricity, Gas, Insurance, Card Machine Charges, Water etc..

As for assuming what you have to pay towards costs. That is entirely up to what you and your cousin have agreed between you.

get a basic contract from your cousin. It will clarify everything for both of you right from the start and make sure there are no misunderstandings. Just because it's a relative doesn't mean you two don't need to be businesslike. After all, you'd want a contract from anyone else -wouldn't you??

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back