Business re: Holiday Break

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RubyLou

Reaction score
Hi ive recently opened a salon in my village coming up to 5 months now and its just me that does the treatments in the salon, i do have a spare room for use but im quite happy doing the treatments myself for now and not have the hassal of employing someone else. i do have a familly member that helps me on reception so whilst im in treatments she can answer the phone and take bookings so the phone isnt on answer machine all the time.
Last year whilst i was working for someone else where i recently started a new job i was unable to go on holiday and now i wont be going this summer either because i dont think it would be right to leave the salon unattended whilst im abroad.
Its not that im worried about it safety wise because i can have a family or friend check the salon every now and again its the fact that nonone will be there to do treatments or take bookings.
However do you think now im a salon owner ill never be able to go away as its just me or if i plan in advance and let my clients no i'd be able to work my bookings around it and notify people while im away on my answer machine would this be acceptable?

what about getting your relative to check the answer phone daily and ring back people to book them in for when you get back.

its that particular relative i wanted to go away with lol shes the one i trust the most it would be nice just to have a break i could i guess forward the phoncalls to my mobile fone maybe

Hi, when I was working on my own in a small busy salon that I had, I used to advertise 6 weeks before a holiday by just putting up a sign so that all my regular clients new that i would be taking a holiday. I would not do more than a week as its easy to lose clients that way but by having a weeks holiday at a time then it was fine. I was just mad busy when I got back so needed another holiday:) Dont forget you need a break as it keeps you fresh. Enjoy your holiday.

hi, when opened my salon i also worried about this, i didnt have a holiday until my 2nd year in the salon, as i was too scared to upset people.
looking back now i realise they are more understanding than i thought.
i have 2 other members of staff now, have been est. 2 yrs in october, and just got back from my hols....
still didnt want to leave the salon but all went well and i feel much more confident in my clients and staff...
im now planning more days off through out my kids summer holidays from school....
i think its just a matter of time, and having confidence in your bussiness and client base xxxx

Everybody deserves an holiday.

Six months after I opened my salon I was getting married and going on honeymoon, all I did was panic about leaving my clients and no one been their to do their treatments. When I got home I realised the salon and clients will wait for you and I was just as busy.

Now I just let clients know Im going on holiday and book them in before and go and when they I get back and their fine with it. The only thing is Im so busy the week before Im away and the week after I get back!!:lol:

My experience has been the same - you're so busy before hand you really need the holiday, then you get back & within a few days you feel like you need another! It is frightening the first time you go away, but give your clients enough notice they book before or after - if you're really clever you'll get them in before your holiday & tell them that the weeks after you get back are getting busy so they might like to pencil in their appointment as well! I do this & it ensures you have enough money pre & post holiday.

Latest posts

Back