Business | Toronto Hair Salon Ends Gender Based Pricing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
It's a fact universally accepted by all that women pay more for haircuts than men. Fuss Hair Studio in Toronto is no different: a man pays $45 for a cut, while a woman pays $60 but after the odd email questioning this system in light of their forward-thinking ethos, the owners have decided to make some changes.

"Over the last couple of years we’ve gotten maybe two or three emails where they've just been surprised because they're like: 'You're forward-thinking people running a salon, we're surprised and kind of disappointed," Rankin said in an interview.

"And we were just like: 'We can’t ignore this anymore; we are a progressive salon (owned by) two queer woman, and we felt like hypocrites."

Rankin says that some of the emails were from women with short-cropped hairstyles who were being charged the same price as other woman with long hair.

So, come January 1st, the salon will be changing its pricing scheme so that clients won't be paying more -- or less -- based solely on sex or gender.
Instead, prices will reflect the length of a customer's hair. Fuss will offer a "barber cut" for $45, a "short cut" for $55 and a "long cut" from $55 to $70.

After announcing their proposed changes on their Facebook page, Rankin says that the response has been overwhelmingly positive.

"We've had comments on our Facebook page from people who were like 'I didn’t come to you guys, but I will now,'" she said. "I really hope that our clients see how much we care and how much we try to listen. We're not just talking the talk but we’re walking the walk. We stand behind what we say, we look for progress and we try to be progressive."

It's a great ethos that's sure to win them some loyal clients.

Until then…geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• symbol-sign-male-female1.png
    symbol-sign-male-female1.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 37

Latest posts

Back